Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Jayco 24RKS and a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 75 Anniversary Edition with a 3.7 lliter six cylinder gasoline engine and a class IV tow package which includes a load leveling suspension and heavy duty cooler. I added an electric brake. I found a very nice 2011 Jayco 24RKS which has a couple of weight ratings on it. The factory ship label says 5200 lbs with a load of propane. But another label says GVRR 7000 lbs. A standard Jeep Cherokee is rated at 6300 lbs towing capability. However, the salesman found a web site that rated vehicle towing capabilities and it lists the Grand Cherokee Anniversery Edition as 7300 lbs. The salesman says I am good to go. But, he ain't the one going down the road or more importantly trying to stop going down the road. Is this TT safe with this TV. I have never RV'd before and really don't want a bad experience, but it is a nice unit. All thoughts appreciated.
Oldjudgepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

It's good you are doing your 'due diligence' in researching what you can safely tow with your Jeep, before you buy.

The problem you will encounter is with the PAYLOAD of your vehicle limiting what you can tow. Hopefully you will find a sticker on the drivers door pillar that will have that figure for your specific vehicle.

The PAYLOAD is everything IN your vehicle (people, pets, food, tent, whatever) plus the TONGUE weight of the trailer you plan to tow. The TONGUE weight can be calculated by 15% x GVRR (.15 x 7,000 = 1,050lbs tongue weight). The GVRR is the trailer weight plus its cargo carrying capacity.

You will also need to be sure the receiver for your Jeep is capable of carrying the tongue weight (1,000lbs) and if a weight distributing hitch can be used.

As you do your investigation, you'll find that salesmen are not the best source of towing information. At best, most are ignorant of PAYLOAD limits, at worst, they know and don't tell you.

There's a lot of info in this forum. Search for keywords like 'payload' etc. Yes, there's a lot to learn, but there are many helpful people on this site.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #3

Now way would I tow that TT with your SUV.
Too short of a wheel base and not enough payload.
Here's a guy I took a pic of getting his Jeep ready. Like you the sales guy said "Good to go".
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #4

As others have and will ask, what is the cargo capacity of your Jeep Grand Cherokee? Assuming you pack relatively lightly you will have over 800#(6400# of cargo and water on board x 13% tongue weight) of your cargo capacity used up by the tongue weight. If you loaded it to the trailer's full GVWR of 7000# you are looking at potentially up to 1050#. Then you have to subtract the weight of all people in the Cherokee, plus the WDH hitch, plus any cargo in the Jeep itself. I think you're going to be maxed out of cargo capacity of the Jeep long before you even max out the tow capacity, and you're pushing the limit of the tow capacity as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldjudgepete View Post
I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 75 Anniversary Edition with a 3.7 lliter six cylinder gasoline engine and a class IV tow package which includes a load leveling suspension and heavy duty cooler. I added an electric brake. I found a very nice 2011 Jayco 24RKS which has a couple of weight ratings on it. The factory ship label says 5200 lbs with a load of propane. But another label says GVRR 7000 lbs. A standard Jeep Cherokee is rated at 6300 lbs towing capability. However, the salesman found a web site that rated vehicle towing capabilities and it lists the Grand Cherokee Anniversery Edition as 7300 lbs. The salesman says I am good to go. But, he ain't the one going down the road or more importantly trying to stop going down the road. Is this TT safe with this TV. I have never RV'd before and really don't want a bad experience, but it is a nice unit. All thoughts appreciated.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:24 AM   #5

Pete,

Welcome and congrats on looking at a tt!!!

Here is a link to the 2011 Jayco "brochure" dry weighths. As you can see, even the full propane tanks weight is NOT included, nor are options, in the "brochure weight". That's why the yellow as shipped weight is 5200lbs vs the "brochure" 5035lbs. And the dry hitch/tongue weight (tw) of 625lbs does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue. This will add ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, or ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery. Let say you have 20lb tanks, so you tw is already ~745lbs before loading anything else in the tt. If I remember correctly, the GC and Durango hitch rating for the tw is only 720lbs. TW is measured as if you placed a scale directly under the coupler where you hook the tt up to the truck.

And you still need to add ~100lbs for the wdh towards the receiver hitch tw rating max of 720lbs. So the ~745lb tt tw + ~100lbs for the wdh = 845lbs vs the max 720lbs tw of the receiver hitch. Double check the max receiver hitch rating by looking for a sticker on the GC receiver hitch. Should have a max total trailer weight and max tw ratings listed.

And we haven't even compared the payload of the GC needed vs all the weights mentioned above that count toward a vehicles payload: total of all passenger, cargo, wdh, and the tt tw.

Also take into consideration of the water tanks location in the tt. Tanks In front of the axles add tw, tanks behind the axles subtract tw. It is a balance game that you generally need 12-15% of the total loaded tt weight to be tw for a safe, stable towing experience to prevent sway from to light of a tw. Example- a 6000lb total loaded tt should generally have a tw of 720lbs- 950lbs (12-15% of 6000lbs). This will vary a little for each tt, and if you carry fresh water or not and if so, tank location will affect this.

In the end you are the one who needs to decide if you feel safe exceeding some weight ratings, but I personally would want to have a fulll framed SUV/ 1500 truck to tow that trailer vs the unibody (no full frame) GC so I wasn't exceeding any of the ratings (payload, receiver hitch, etc)

And the rear axle rating (rar) of the tow vehicle (tv) also needs to be consider, though one usually reaches the payload and or receiver hitch rating before the rar.

Good luck deciding and any other questions, ask away!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #6

Others answers here will be more technical and useful. I had a Ram 1500 5.7 when we bought our Jayco267BHSW. The trailer weighs 5400 lbs, the truck tows 8000 lbs, no problems, right?
The truck towed the TT OK, but never felt solid. By the time we loaded the TT, the TV and the propane, WDH, etc, we were pushing the max.
I reluctantly traded the 1500 for a 2500. We are heading out on the first trip next week. I hated to trade the 1500, but the thought of driving with my three granddaughters in the truck weighed heavily on me. The 2500 is not as loaded as the 1500, but it will be a more solid tow, and as I've read in these forums, its not just making the trailer go, it's making it stop and steer.
I'd look to a smaller trailer. Use the formulae provided here and figure out how much trailer you can safely and comfortably tow
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

I tow my Whitehawk 23MRB with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with an eco Diesel and towing package. I have weighed it at the scales to make sure I am under all the limits for tongue weight, Axle loads etc. I am under on everything but is still pay very close attention to how I load my TV and the trailer. It's just me and the wife in the Grand Cherokee so that helps with cargo capacity. I do pay a penalty because of the weight of the Diesel engine. I would be a little nervous about the engine and how hard you will be working it. It may be fine for level towing but you will eventually get into some long inclines. A good WDH goes a long way. I have towed through some "mountains" in West Virginia and some very windy conditions and will say I am very impressed with the stability of the trailer (wide stance axles) and the Grand Cherokee but that trailer is as big a I would ever go with it. All said you are the one that has to tow it. Do your research and listen to the folks on this forum. There are some very smart people here but you will get some differing opinions. Good Luck!
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldjudgepete View Post
Hopefully you didn't buy yet If I were you I would run as fast as possible away from that salesman and dealership.
His only interest is taking your money and making a sale.

The V-8 is rated to tow 7200# your V-6 is not Check your owners manual for your towing rating and I think you will find the answer. If your interested I would ask the salesman to show you the figures and web page where he got hi information from

No matter what tow rating your Jeep has I would not tow anything that is more than 1000# less that your max rating ie. Jeep tow max 7000# Max GROSS trailer weight should be under 6000# This is just my opinion and others may disagree but I personally like a very comfortable safety margin.

You post on this subject make me believe that you have doubts as to this set-up and I would say to you to find a different TT or find a bigger TV
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

I am just going to throw this out there. I have a 2017 jay feather 25bh and the specs are very close to the trailer that you are looking at. I tow with a 2017 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi 8 speed trans and 3.92 gears and tow capacity is 10.2k and I am very close to my 1550lbs payload. I hit the scales and tongue weight was 900lbs. We pack very light as well. I definitely know that the Jayco is behind me. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
I am just going to throw this out there. I have a 2017 jay feather 25bh and the specs are very close to the trailer that you are looking at. I tow with a 2017 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi 8 speed trans and 3.92 gears and tow capacity is 10.2k and I am very close to my 1550lbs payload. I hit the scales and tongue weight was 900lbs. We pack very light as well. I definitely know that the Jayco is behind me. Just something to think about.

would you say your comparing apples to oranges
You have a V8 and 10.2K tow rating the OP's has a V6 and a tow rating of either 6300# or 7300# and wants to tow a TT rated at 7000# gross
Really Nothing to think about
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #11

That is not what I am saying. Sorry if I came across like that. All I am saying is that with similar weight trailers, I am posting realistic numbers as far as the weights and how his experience with a jeep may be too much of a white knuckle experience. I am not extremely comfortable with my setup as well and I feel a 3/4 ton would be much better suited for me.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #12

I tow a 265RLSW, GVWR of 7,500 lbs. behind a '15 Ram with 5.7 Hemi and 3.92's, you definitely know it is behind you! Although I'm not completely out of my comfort zone, the truck is working hard on the small hills of Ohio. A 2500 would be a welcomed improvement in towing comfort.

I agree with Bondo303, too much trailer for the Jeep to enjoy the experience. I feel If it's a big deal to tow it, you will not use it as often as you would with a beefier tow vehicle. That's my thoughts, not that they mean a thing. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamonZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #13

I pull my 195RB that weighs 3,000 empty with my Grand Caravan Overland.

I figure with everything I am pulling 3,400 to 3,500 pounds. We usually have about a 100 pounds of stuff in the Jeep.

Based on 2 trips I would not go much larger. It would be to hard on the tranny and brakes.

The extra length and weight is way more than I would undertake. If your trailer brakes are not perfect and maybe even it they are you will never stop down hill. In a sway event it will be the tail wagging the dog.

My advice is get a bigger tow vehicle or smaller trailer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #14

We have a Dodge Nitro with the 3.7 V-6 and there is no way on this earth it has the power to pull a full sized camper. The Jeep is barely any bigger plus has the same power for the extra weight...will never work well and most likely end in buying a new tow vehicle.

I thought it was funny how the salesman happened to find a tow rating just a bit higher than the trailers GVW! LOL

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #15

I have an 08 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with a tow rating of 10, 300 lbs. I tow a Whitehawk 24 RKS, and honestly I don't completely like it and would prefer a 3/4 ton truck. Don't get me wrong, it tows my TT fine, but I can't imagine hooking my TT up to a Jeep, which I happen to own as well.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #16

we had a 2011 24rks. started the first year with a f150. We had problems going up hills. Second year bought a Ram 250. Never looked back.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

F-150 going up hills, not good, I had one. Tundra is much better, but not like a 2500 RAM 👍
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #18

I just came back from a camping trip and with so many people buying travel trailers with little to no experience it was crazy what I saw as TV - TT combinations. I saw several times a vehicle towing a trailer and it looked like they were about to rocket to the moon with the front end pointing so high and the sag from so much tongue weight on a under rated TV.

Also walking around the campgrounds there were at lest 4-5 30+ foot trailers being towed with Tahoe, esclades, and even a frontier. These people also have families of 4-5 with a dog in the SUV's. It's crazy but the car or RV salesperson will tell you anything to make a sale.

I have a WH 25BHS when fully loaded with my family, and 2 kayaks in the truck bed of my 2016 F-150 Lariat I'm maxing out on my payload. I had a pretty full load on my last trip so I stopped at the CAT scale to find out I'm only 100lbs away from my rear axle rating. It tows great but I definitely can feel the tug when hitting those less than average roads through the pass and I wish every trip I knew more before buying my truck. But the salesperson said I would be fine. Well I am fine but wish I would of spent very little more and bought a 250 or 350. Waiting to upgrade...

I just don't understand how people feel safe towing with under rated TV's. Must have some serious white knuckles.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #19

Dropnaduce, I agree. I am at the limits of my Grand Cherokee with my 23MRB but I travel with very little cargo in either the tv to the TT. I have been to the CAT scales to give me piece of mind that I am within all my limits. The trailer tows very well and I have never felt unsafe even across the Mackinaw Bridge under strong cross winds and through a pretty good thunderstorm. I know th Grand Cherokee is a short wheel base for that trailer.

I did see, however, a Toyota Highlander pulling a rather large Airstream down I-69 last week. It was definitely in a nose-up attitude and could have been pleasant to tow.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #20

Not everyone is towing with a lot of cargo, not everyone is targeting 15% for the tongue weight, people are using different hitches resulting in different towing experience, etc., etc.

But I agree - there is a lot of ignorance on the roads...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote