Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #21
wwt

We have a 2015 GC Laredo with the 3.6l gas V6. I think max tow is 5200lbs but that V6 has very little low end torque. I wouldn't tow more than a couple jet ski's or snowmobiles with it.
Something to keep in mind that I don't often see mentioned is the wind resistance of these travel trailers. It's like adding more weight to the trailer and the first time driving in a 15-20 mph head wind will make that engine scream.
wwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #22

My wife and I did our 2nd trip with our new Whitehawk 24RKS. This time it was 10 hours one way, so 3 camps for the entire trip. We went through 20 mile stretches of 6% down and upgrades, then roads with osolating asphalt, and miles of potholes. Being a first time TT owner it was exhausting to say the least, but had fun. I saw so many people towing things way to large for their TV, and wondered are they more stressed out than me? It's rather crazy what people do, and I wonder what it must feel like behind the wheel.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #23

Used Trailers for Sale Soon

I think those people white knuckle driving may be putting the trailers up for sale soon. Keep an eye out for "used once or twice" units coming up.
Camping is no fun when there is that much stress. Hotels are cheaper and much easier.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman65 View Post
I did see, however, a Toyota Highlander pulling a rather large Airstream down I-69 last week. It was definitely in a nose-up attitude and could have been pleasant to tow.
Funny you mentioned this; I saw the exact same thing just over a week ago... Older Highlander with a TRIPLE AXLE Airstream behind it. The thing was squatting like an old woman peeing in the woods.

Makes me literally cringe when I see stuff like this. That salesman that said the OP was good to go needs a smack in the face. No idea what he's talking about or no concern for others.

My truck is rated for 11,100lbs towing but I'm at limits with 7K of trailer. The engine could literally drag my house up a hill but it's the frame and axles that cause the limitation. I would not buy a bigger truck to pull my current trailer, and I would not put a bigger trailer behind my truck. They are a great match.

I also wouldn't be considering anything more than a pop-up or a single axle SLX model with the mentioned Jeep Cherokee.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #25

This is what we should all tow. Is this enough truck or should I hit the scales lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #26

At least for some, that guy is pushing the limits... a lot of statements "I would not tow more than this or that... with this vehicle". Simple question is whether you guys have any towing experience with the vehicles you are saying you would not tow with.

If somebody towed all his life with a truck, what kind of credibility he has to discuss about experience with other cars? For me not that much...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
At least for some, that guy is pushing the limits... a lot of statements "I would not tow more than this or that... with this vehicle". Simple question is whether you guys have any towing experience with the vehicles you are saying you would not tow with.

If somebody towed all his life with a truck, what kind of credibility he has to discuss about experience with other cars? For me not that much...
I don't think you have to have experience with a specific vehicle to do the math and determine if you are exceeding the manufacturer's limits on payload, tongue weight, and overall towing capacity. If you exceed these limits things break and when things break at 60 mph really bad things happen not just for the person towing but for all those around them. I read all these suggestions as simply saying "do the math".

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post

I have to agree with jherzog. If there's one place to agree it should be that there are some TT/TV vehicle pairs that work safely and easily, an there are some that shouldn't be attempted.
What of the grey area in the middle? That's where we rely on the manufacturers limits telling us the max weight the TV can tow or that the TT can carry.
I want no experience towing an overweight trailer with an under powered TV, that's not why I bought a recreational vehicle.
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #29

Jayco 24RKS and a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I agree on the underpowered overweight rigs as well, however I see plenty of the 3/4 ton 1 ton haulers with a sense of being invincible just because they are "well within" their listed tow/payload capacities. It scares me more to see the 1 ton 35' + 5er hauling than the overweight 1/2 ton chugging away. As stated, I don't advocate towing out of limits but I don't necessarily run like chicken little when I see a smaller vehicle towing more than it should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #30

Well, some, including me, think that mfg limits are good starting point for a discussion. I appreciate that some (majority) won't share the view, but this is how it is...

- Payload - let's assume that 1/2 ton truck have 1,500 lbs payload. After loading passengers, cargo, let's assume you have 1,000 lbs payload left. You can use this payload by putting 1,000 lbs in the back of the truck, but you can also hitch up a trailer with 1,000 lbs TW distributed between the front the rear axle. In both cases the car would be loaded withing mfg specs. I guess I do not have to mention that the truck will provide better driving experience with the trailer? Some manufactures are even increasing the max rear axle load limit for towing (vs. taking the same load in the car).

- Hitch - ProPride / Hensley vs. regular WD hitch - both type of hitches do not provide the same kind of towing experience. Pivot projection hitch will obviously result in better towing experience.

- Airstream vs box trailer - AS will provide a better towing experience (another aero profile, lower center of gravity, etc.)

etc. etc. etc.

How those things are reflected in the mfg specs? They are not. Therefore, as I mentioned, for me mfg spec are a good starting point for the discussion about towing.

Happy camping guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
I don't think you have to have experience with a specific vehicle to do the math and determine if you are exceeding the manufacturer's limits on payload, tongue weight, and overall towing capacity. If you exceed these limits things break and when things break at 60 mph really bad things happen not just for the person towing but for all those around them. I read all these suggestions as simply saying "do the math".
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
F-150 going up hills, not good, I had one. Tundra is much better, but not like a 2500 RAM 👍
I pull a 24RKS with my F150. I will easily smoke a Tundra going up any hill. Honestly, I can smoke most any truck pulling up a hill. You must have not had a 3.5L or even a 2.7L. Makes a world of difference.
shane83646 is offline   Reply With Quote