Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Jayco Bunkbed mattress

Camped in our new 32TSBH this weekend and found a very unhappy surprise. The mattresses on the bunkbed are terrible. Don't know why we didn't check this before buying. We had a Jayco 28bhs before this and the lower bunk was adequate, my son and daughter in law spelt on it many times and never complanied. They slept on bunks in new one and said they were terrible. Mattress is only 2" thick and feels like you are sleeping on the plywood. Now will have to invest in upgrade mattresses, more expense. Bought egg crate mattress pads at Walmart, but little improvement. Wonder why Jayco changed them? Any suggestions out there on what to go to?

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

We added in the egg-crate mattress pads to the bunk beds. However we only have a 7yr, 4yr, and 3yr old sleeping on them.

My wife bought a "Memory Foam" topper for the master bed, and boy did it make a HUGE difference. I Think the one she bought was only 1" think but it was a huge improvement.
2007 Palomino Stampede 21RGS Hybrid (traded in 2013)
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

We went with the 2 inch memory foam mattress topper (from amazon) for our queen bed in our TT. That's twice the huge improvement! Well worth the money spent! Only one minor drawback...it weighs 20 pounds, so makes it a bit harder to lift the bed to get into the storage compartment, and the hydraulic struts dont want to keep it up very well when lifted, so I am using a dowel as a temporary strut. Oh well!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #4

Jayco Bunkbed mattress

Added 4" memory foam to the master bed. Had to install an extra gas strut to Compensate for the extra weight.
Topher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

We added a 4" memory foam topper on the master bed. It made a world of difference. Instead of tossing and turning all night and getting up with sore ribs, I wake up well rested and ready to go. We also added 3" (I think) to the bunks for the kids. We have a 11 & 13 year old sleeping in them. They say it is much better now.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks. I was considering adding the memory foam toppers, but unsure how much they would help. Sounds like it's the way to go.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

I Was contemplating adding the memory foam to our bunks as well. They are hard as a rock.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

We have a 2017, 26BH, and the foam mattresses are covered with nice, brown, fuzzy material. Looks nice. And the foam is 3 to 4 inches thick.

But, after sleeping on the foam for ten times or so, it's already much thinner in the middle than the edges. Has compressed and is uncomfortable. It would be impossible to say that Jayco was acting in good faith by using such poor quality foam. Shame on them.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

Overall, we've been happy with the mattresses in ours. My kids sleep well in the bunks, except the little one--he doesn't sleep through the night anywhere. I suspect it's against his religion.

I'm disappointed at hearing the bunk mattresses getting flattened over time. on the last trip, I ended up on the bottom bunk when my little one crashed our bed in the middle of the night. If ours starts to flatten out during the two-year warranty period, I'm wondering if we can claim it as a warranty item.

Siamese, have you had any luck doing this? Not sure when you noticed yours going downhill.
ETA: Siamese, just noticed you said yours was a 2017, so still in warranty. Have you made a warranty claim? It might not hurt. Those shouldn't flatten out any after a year. That's not right.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #10

Our kids have not complained about the Denver mattresses on their bunks. They sleep on them for 4 months at a time while we camp seasonally. I haven't measured, but I think the bunk mattresses are 4" thick. It is the same thickness as our 4" memory foam topper. Our Greyhawk also had bunks. They weren't Denver Mattresses, but they were 4" thick and comfy enough for the kids. I slept on the bunk once and felt like I was sleeping on plywood, but for the kids they were fine.

The Simmon's Residential Mattress on the master bed, on the other hand, is a piece of junk. After a few days of sleeping on it, there are noticeable indentations on my side of the bed. Took about a week for indentations on my wife's side. We use a 4" memory foam topper and it helps, but the indentations are still there. Will probably replace that this season. The master bed in our Greyhawk had a horrible mattress. Memory foam topper didn't help that mattress. The wife and I would roll into each other in the middle of the bed. Replaced it with a residential mattress for a much better sleep.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #11

The mattresses they put in the bunks are designed for kids to sleep on (as would be expected honestly). Most folks don't buy a bunkhouse with the intent that adults will be sleeping in those bunks very often.

I've slept in ours and, yes, it feels like you are sleeping on the plywood below. But my kids sleep in them 99% of the time and sleep great. Never once gotten a complaint from them.

I've considered buying a couple of memory foam toppers and cutting them to fit the shape of the bunks. I would just slide them underneath the existing mattress. That would probably help a bunch. But it's still not going to be as comfortable and an innerspring mattress. That's just not what those mattresses are built for.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #12

We've had Jayco warranteed our bunk mattresses twice now. This third set, that we haven't tried out, look identical to the other 2 sets so we're not expecting any different results. We even tried doubling up the worn mattresses, but then the kids end up sleeping in an 8" hole.

With the odd size of 48x80, we'll probably end up buying proper custom 4" foam mattresses, but it'll cost us $500 for the pair.

Our 2007 Jayflight 29BHS had great bunk mattresses. Real disappointed with Jayco when it comes mattresses and just overall quality control.
2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi QC (2006-2015)
2007 Jayflight 29BHS (2007-2016)
Roaddane is offline   Reply With Quote