Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle A/C Units

Hello,

I am new to this forum and currently shopping for my first Jayco travel trailer. I have owned may campers however the quality of the Jayco is what brought me to this decision. I have found a new 2016 Eagle 314BHDS. Retail is almost $44K with a sale price of $28,900. Seems like a fairly good deal however it has a 13.5K a/c unit. I am a little skeptical of the smaller unit in this size camper but the sales manager told me "The big difference is the whisper quiet AC on the Eagles will out perform the normal 13.5 on the competition so we have only had great reviews on the 13.5 in these units"

Can someone tell me if this is a true statement? I really started out wanting a 15K unit. Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer. I look forward to being a member of the Jayco family soon.
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

We have the 13.5k unit in our new Eagle 314 and it's been fine so far. Was 88 degrees last Saturday and I was seeing 72 inside. If you lived/camped in a hot southern state I'd opt for the 15k units or a double set-up.

I think the AC units work off of ambient temperature as well too. So they only cool the inside so many degrees below outside temperature. I forget the details though...
Robk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Thanks Robk77, I appreciate the info. How do you like your new Eagle?
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #4

I have one 15K and have camped in 100+ degree weather and it did just fine. Actually, my wife told me to turn it down a bit. A small pedestal fans helps as well. Moving air is cooler than still air.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

On the ac question, we have a single 15k in our similar Eagle. We also camp in the high desert in summer with temps near 100. Sure wish we had a 2nd unit in the bedroom. You still have a choice. And if the Whisper Quiet is great, fine. Jayco says it's available in 15k.

As for whether the salesman was being truthful, were his lips moving?

The price does seem fair.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

I just got a 284bhbe eagle and we went out memorial day weekend with a 15k and the second 13k bedroom unit. With just the 15k and 88 outside we could get it into the 70s, but we were happy to have the bedroom unit to help and had it 72 no problem.

I'd be really nervous that you'd be able to get what you want out of the 13k unit on a trailer that big. That said, if it's a good deal, I'd imagine getting the 15 or maybe doing some mods to help cool things down might be useful. I don't want to talk you off a trailer you want with that alone.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

I have an Eagle 316rkds and after our initial trip I thought the 13.5 AC was a bit weak, but adequate. Would probably be less than adequate in the hot desert.

Maybe you can negotiate them installing the bigger unit.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

We have 2016 Eagle 284BHBE with 15k AC.
Camping over Memorial Day weekend in lower 90s and our camper struggled during the day to get to 80. The AC ran none stop! The Whisper Quiet AC seems less effective than our 15k BTU Coleman on our 25' hybrid with 3 pop out beds. That camper had a total length of 30' open with tent ends and the AC had no problem staying cool.
So I'm very disappointed with Eagle & supposed thermal package. I can't image our trip in August in the FL Keys!
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #9

We have a 345 BHTS with 2 15k units. Accually the front option has been changed to a low profile 15k due to travel height issue. The 15k whisper quiet was changed 1 month ago due to lack of air flow. The whisper quiet has a slower fan speed to keep it quiet. Long story short it's back at the dealer again to try to get the airflow right. If your in the south 15k minimum. Should have 2 if it's an option.
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggsryan View Post
We have a 345 BHTS with 2 15k units. Accually the front option has been changed to a low profile 15k due to travel height issue. The 15k whisper quiet was changed 1 month ago due to lack of air flow. The whisper quiet has a slower fan speed to keep it quiet. Long story short it's back at the dealer again to try to get the airflow right. If your in the south 15k minimum. Should have 2 if it's an option.
Did you get AC swapped under warranty? I'm thinking taking our camper to dealer to see if there is something wrong.
I just find it hard to believe a hard wall camper is struggling with heat compared to our hybrid that has 3 tent beds with almost same interior space end to end.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #11

I think I'd rather be cool than have it quiet. 13.5k BTU's is still 13.5K BTU's, no matter how efficient they are.

If you have the option, go with the larger unit. You'll never regret getting MORE than you need, but you'll always regret getting less than you need and having to upgrade later.

Also, you may as well go ahead and add a second unit---same argument as above. Plus, you never know where you'll be taking your vacation one day!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggsryan View Post
The whisper quiet has a slower fan speed to keep it quiet.
Is that according to your dealer?

What makes it quiet is the duct work design, primarily the return air. The Mach 8 low profile is the same unit whether it is the main or secondary a/c unit. We have 2 15,000 Mach-8's in our 38 FLSA one is quiet and the one in the bedroom not so quiet and they both have the same fans.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #13

Yes. All under warr. Jayco has been great to deal with......the dealer not so much.......We went from not being able to get the coach cool to now the front is fair and the back is an ice box due to the ac being mounted in the rear and the t stat being in the front.
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote