Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle Superlight 318RLS

We are thinking of upgrading from our 08 Jayflight 24RKS to the Eagle Superlight 318RLS with a GVW of 7950. Our 07 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3:55 gears, towing is rated at 8500. We are pretty much flatlanders here in south Texas, maybe get to the Texas hillcountry ounce or twice a year. Just wanting feedback from 318 RLS owners, pro or con. Thanks and have a great day!!!!!!
CopanoCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Hiya CopanoCruisin and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!

We have a GVW a little less than your anticipated Eagle (check our signature). We deal with hills and mountains every time we travel through certain mountainous parts of California or have to travel East of the Seirra Nevada's! Although our 1/2 ton has a tow rating above 10,000, I can tell you that we miss having our 3/4 ton diesel! You may live in the flatlands, but with that truck, and when you travel to the mountains, you will definitely bog down! Jes curious, will you travel to the mountains and are you due for a new truck?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

DW and I have a 304 Eagle Super Lite and started towing with a suburban 1/2 ton with 5.3 liter. It pulled it but was all it wanted, hill really worked it. We now have a 3/4 ton diesel and dont even know its back there. Our salesman sold it to us on the pretense that our 1/2 ton would be fine uplling it, He just wanted the sale. If you dont put thousands of miles a year on you'll probly be ok but rest assured it will shorten the life of your TV.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Copano, we had a similar mindset to yours - our TV is (not quite, but close) max'd out once we're all loaded up. When we researched the combo, I was content that everything would be tickity-boo with the type of camping we do.

The month we brought the TT home I was told we were transferred out west. I'm not in a position to upgrade the TV and not willing to part with the new TT, but gotta get through the rockies in a couple of weeks! I'm basically happy with the combination, but had I been able to read that crystal-ball, I would have waited before buying the bigger trailer....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopanoCruisin View Post
We are thinking of upgrading from our 08 Jayflight 24RKS to the Eagle Superlight 318RLS with a GVW of 7950. Our 07 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3:55 gears, towing is rated at 8500. We are pretty much flatlanders here in south Texas, maybe get to the Texas hillcountry ounce or twice a year. Just wanting feedback from 318 RLS owners, pro or con. Thanks and have a great day!!!!!!
This gives you 550 lbs of weight that you can have in the truck THIS INCLUDES PASSENGERS!!!! plus any weight that the driver is if over 150 lbs. So if you plan to put things in the truck I think you will find you are overloaded.
Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

This is my understanding of the towing weights.
Jayco says your trailer weights 6335 lbs dry. I have this same trailer from the 2009 model year (308RLS). The actual weight sticker on my trailer says 6550 lbs with full propane tanks. To this trailer weight you add everything that you put in the trailer (food, clothes, water, battery, etc.) That total is your total loaded weight. This should not exceed 7950 lbs for your trailer. That means you can put up to 1400 lbs in the trailer. Add to your loaded trailer weight anything you put in the tv including passengers and driver weight over 150 lbs. That overall total should not exceed the towing capacity of your tv (8500 lbs).
We do not travel with much water (fresh, grey and black) in the tanks to keep weight down. Full tanks on your trailer would add over 800 lbs.
My tv is a 2004 Ford Expedition. If I remember correctly the towing capacity is 8300 lbs. I consider this barely adequate. The tv cannot maintain speed on a long uphill grade. Also a longer wheelbase tv would be better. A tv upgrade is in the future but I do feel safe with this combination.
I hope I have explained this correctly. Sometimes my explanations seem clear to me and not to others.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

It is not always "can I tow this" you should also ask "will I be able to stop while towing this". The first time someone pulls out in front of you and you slam on the brakes that big heavy TT will push you.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #8

Well maybe I am missing the point. Doesn't the trailer brakes assist in th ebrking process?........................Cc
CopanoCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Well maybe I am missing the point. Doesn't the trailer brakes assist in th ebrking process?........................Cc
The main brakes you have are the TV's. When you are overloaded the TV's brakes are compromised. To compare take your power steering belt off the truck and try to steer with two fingers.. it can be done but its a lot of work and very tiring for you. The trailer brakes would be like adding a third finger to the steering.
I know I am a bit of a safety weenie but the very first thing I did when I got my new TV was upgrade the brakes to drilled and slotted rotors and a more aggressive brake pad.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Another thought.... Considering that you may hit the hills/mtns at some point.... For us additionally, our year model truck has the tow/haul mode where with one tap of the brakes, it keeps us at about 45mph without the high revs, and one more tap lowers us to below 40mph. I know if we didn't have that, we would "ride" our brakes to the bottom of the grade. With our previous tt we were within 500lbs when towing (and without a tow/haul mode). We worried a couple of times when we were nearing the bottom of a steep grade if we would have brakes left.

Do you know what the GCVWR is for your truck and anticipated trailer? That may actually help you make up your mind. But I think most folks here and other forums would agree with Sean and say try not to max out the weight your tv will tow, and pass on the Eagle Superlight 318RLS
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote