Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Jayco factory electric stabilizers

I'm trying to decide on options for a 2017 27RBOK and would like the electric stabilizer jacks and wireless remote, but some of my reading on here makes me question the wisdom of this. I cannot tell from any searching I have done whether or not the factory Jayco electric stabilizers use a single motor to operate two pads (therefore a pivot point in the center of the trailer) or if there are two motors. Can someone with firsthand knowledge help out? If there's only one motor I think I'll stay with manual jacks and a cordless drill. Thanks in advance!
Psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #2

From the picture on Jayco's web site it looks like they use the Lippert jacks like this Power Stabilizer Jacks.

If that's the case, they are single motor jacks.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Hello...we have 2014 27RBOK & love the layout. Ours has the electric jacks. Single motor, 1 side extends then opposite side extends. We do not have wireless remote though...switch at front & back of trailer for each. We did not order the trailer, found at local dealer & wish it had the manual jacks. Hope this is helpful for you. We love the 2017 version of this model but it's not practical for us to trade/sell & purchase new model. Happy Camping!!!
2015 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax
JMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

I considered them on the last trailer but the dealer actually talked me out of them. The state parks we go to aren't exactly the most level so it was nice to be able to adjust each jack independently.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

The electric stabilizers are self adjusting, when one side stops [if off level] the other continues until it reaches it's stopping point. We've had 'em for 4 years now and I like them. If the motor ever fails you can crank them down manually just like any other stabilizer. Tool is provided.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Mine are the same as the previous poster. They are self leveling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

I've got a 2008 Jayco fifth wheel. I'm glad I have the electric rear stabilizer jacks. I did have to replace the motor a while ago, but that was easy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

I have them on my '15 27DSRL and I would recommend them. Trouble free after 3 years of use.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Team

I don't have the remote but a switch on the side. Remotes are popular but I likely would not use it even if I had it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

Here's another vote for the electric jacks. We have them on our Tracer and to be honest didn't like them at first because the trailer seemed to rock a little more then our previous manual jacks. However, I have grown to like them because they are self leveling, meaning that on any uneven ground they apply pressure equally on both sides which I really like. Very easy to use. I only had to replace a switch so far. When that broke, it was simple to crank them up and down manually with the supplied handle. Other than that, they have been trouble free. Just ordered them on our WH 28DSBH today...

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

I also think the remote is a waste. When the stabilizer is raised up you have to attend closely to it; if you crank it up past the limit of travel, the "clutch" slips and can eventually fail. The switch is simpler and assures that you are at least close to the stabilizer as you are activating it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I also think the remote is a waste. When the stabilizer is raised up you have to attend closely to it; if you crank it up past the limit of travel, the "clutch" slips and can eventually fail. The switch is simpler and assures that you are at least close to the stabilizer as you are activating it.
My stabilizers have an inline breaker that trips when you raise it all the way and hold it there. No clutches either. What kind of stabilizers do you have? Mine are Lippert.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
The electric stabilizers are self adjusting, when one side stops [if off level] the other continues until it reaches it's stopping point. We've had 'em for 4 years now and I like them. If the motor ever fails you can crank them down manually just like any other stabilizer. Tool is provided.
So one motor drives them both. I "think" that means there is a pivot point in the middle of the assembly that allows the trailer to wiggle side-to-side. Is that accurate? I want the convenience but only if the trailer is as steady as it would be with separate, independent jacks.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdx View Post
So one motor drives them both. I "think" that means there is a pivot point in the middle of the assembly that allows the trailer to wiggle side-to-side. Is that accurate? I want the convenience but only if the trailer is as steady as it would be with separate, independent jacks.
We ordered our TT with the elec stabilizers. They use 1 motor and lower 1 at a time until hitting the ground. They are not very stable in my opinion. I've tried x-chocks that seem to help a bit, but we still get a lot of movement. If I had it to do over again, I would go with the manual scissor type jacks. I would think they would have less movement in them when extended. Just my .02 cents.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 PM   #15

We have the power Stabilizers on the trailer. It came with them as our dealer orders well equipped RV's for stock. You can run manual ones down a lot faster, but I like the power options. BIL snapped a motor off of his TT and found out that the motor is over 400.00 Canadian to replace... the motor drives a single screw to lower both sides. The will go down independently to self level on uneven train. I have not dug in to the mechanism to find out what makes them tick, but lubrication of the screw is essential to smooth operation. An extra pair of screw Jacks is planned for in front of the axles to add additional stability. So far after 2 years there have been no problems with them. We are just loving the 28BHBE.
Happy Camping

Oh... Almost forgot.. they are Lippert
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #16
Site Team

This is what I have. There is no middle pivot point. It is a very stable system.

Only problem I had was the rubber seal deteriorated where the power wires go in the motor. Easily fixed with liquid tape. I always use blocks under them to reduce the amount of travel which makes them even more stable. IK'll add a picture when it gets daylight.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...jack-web21.pdf
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This is what I have. There is no middle pivot point. It is a very stable system.

Only problem I had was the rubber seal deteriorated where the power wires go in the motor. Easily fixed with liquid tape. I always use blocks under them to reduce the amount of travel which makes them even more stable. IK'll add a picture when it gets daylight.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...jack-web21.pdf
So no pivot point - that's good. With manual jacks you can put just enough tension on them to steady the trailer without actually lifting the trailer frame. Do you feel like they electric jacks exert enough downward force to make the trailer steady? And does yours allow the pads to have different extension distance for account for uneven ground?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #18
Site Team

I made these blocks to reduce the travel, light weight, sturdy and versatile. They can stand as pictured or lay on their side. The less travel the more stable.

We have no complaints with their ability to stabilize the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

Ours are Lippert as well. I think their very stable. A lot of people add something like JTStrongarm or Steadyfast systems to their trailers for additional movement reduction. Fact is unless you take the wheels off and put it up on blocks, you're always gonna have some movement.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
My stabilizers have an inline breaker that trips when you raise it all the way and hold it there. No clutches either. What kind of stabilizers do you have? Mine are Lippert.
Mine are Lippert. I had to replace the motor due to the gearing being stripped; a small spline on the end of the motor shaft turned a small gear. That small spline getting ground up was the "clutch". We are now very careful not not to over crank the stabilizer, either up or down. And, the splines on the new motor are re-designed to be beefier.