Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Jayco HummingBird Sink won't drain_Grey Water Full?

Over the weekend the wife and I experienced the kitchen sink backed-up with water. Given is city water connection (1st time). Grey tank read 2/3 full and we likely didn't use enough water to fill a 25 gallon grey water tank (camped for two nights). A bit odd...if the Grey Tank was full how come water wasn't coming up the shower, which is lower than the bottom of the sink? Anyway, when we finally got to the dump station and emptied the grey water tank the sink drained (fine). Pouring some water down the same sink drain appeared to flow/drain fine. So what happened that the sink backed-up at only 2/3 full? Or how accurate are these sensors...will i ever see 4 lights indicating Full (to late by then)? The trailer was level side to side and front to back, but to achieve this the front tongue was low (rear stabilizers were extended more than thefronts).

Thanks.
wheels180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

2 Tanks???

Hey Wheels, Any chance your rig has two grey tanks??? Otherwise you are correct the Laws of Physics dictates that you should have had an over flow in your shower stall. A backflow valve would stop water from coming back up the shower... But I have not heard of Jayco installing such a beast.

My only other thought would be that you had somehow managed to plug the drain line from the sink to the Grey tank and when you flushed the tank it created a vacuum which dislodged the obstruction.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

I know this from experience (embarrassingly), Jayco has a separate grey tank for the sink and the valve is not located with the other valves and is hard to see under the skirt of the camper on the ODS!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

As Artie Johnson used to say on Laugh-in (dating myself here) "Veeerrrryyyy interestink".

I just looked at the specs and you only have one gray tank.
I'm guessing here - but I wonder if the drain pipe from your sink goes into the tank at a different spot (level) than the shower? That would be unusual as I think most TTs are plummed with everything joining together then entering the tank.

I guess its possible that you're getting some kind of vacuum lock. This can happen in pluming systems (of all types not just RV) when there just isn't enough "drop" between the bottom of the trap under the sink and the top of the water level in the holding tank. Basically what happens is that they isn't enough water in the line between the trap and the tank to "pull" the water through the trap. This can be made worse if the trap is partially full of stuff (like grease).
You could verify this theory by using an old fashioned (clean) toilet plunger on the sink the next time it backs up. If the plunger forces the water on through then it's not a full tank.

I guess there is also a chance that your level monitor isn't wired right - but that wouldn't explain why it's not backing up in the shower.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
I know this from experience (embarrassingly), Jayco has a separate grey tank for the sink and the valve is not located with the other valves and is hard to see under the skirt of the camper on the ODS!
I'm pretty sure I only have one grey tank. It's only a 17 foot trailer with one grey tank option on the control panel...along with black and fresh water. What's ODS? These separate valves you have mentioned...another dump valve associated with a grey tank or a plumbing valve in-line with the sink plumbing ?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
As Artie Johnson used to say on Laugh-in (dating myself here) "Veeerrrryyyy interestink".

I just looked at the specs and you only have one gray tank.
I'm guessing here - but I wonder if the drain pipe from your sink goes into the tank at a different spot (level) than the shower? That would be unusual as I think most TTs are plummed with everything joining together then entering the tank.

I guess its possible that you're getting some kind of vacuum lock. This can happen in pluming systems (of all types not just RV) when there just isn't enough "drop" between the bottom of the trap under the sink and the top of the water level in the holding tank. Basically what happens is that they isn't enough water in the line between the trap and the tank to "pull" the water through the trap. This can be made worse if the trap is partially full of stuff (like grease).
You could verify this theory by using an old fashioned (clean) toilet plunger on the sink the next time it backs up. If the plunger forces the water on through then it's not a full tank.

I guess there is also a chance that your level monitor isn't wired right - but that wouldn't explain why it's not backing up in the shower.
Your first paragraph was I thought I had as well, but you're thinking that everything transitions into the grey tank through one inlet...hmm

The trap is a S trap on the smaller side and then 90 degree elbow with a 1.5 foot horizontal segment of pipe pointed towards you as u stand in front of the sink (slightly off to the left as u stand in front of sink)..the sink is a part of slide out. I assume after that it's a drop down to the grey tank. This drop has to be at least 2.5 feet down through floor and into the grey tank. I think this drop would be enough no matter the depth of material in the grey tank. But, there can't be a hardline in the plumbing at some point behind the sink paneling to accomdate the operation of the slide out or how do slide-out kitchens have their plumbing set up?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #7

Hmmm. How DO they handle drains on a slide. I don't have and have never examined an RV with plumbing on a slide out. Do they use a flexible drain hose? Could it be crushed?

Hopefully someone with real experience with this setup can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

They do use flex pipe, at least in my experience. This caused me some grief in the outdoor kichen on my old TT. The constant in and out caused one of the connectors to loosen and resulted in a small leak which I was fortunate to catch very early. But I have a hard time seeing it crimp so much that it completely occludes the pipe and that would not account for it flowing again aftet draining the grey.
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #9

We had trouble with a slow draining bathroom sink on our TT the first couple of times we used it. My oldest ended up dropping something down the drain and it totally clogged. I found a 6-8" piece of Romex in the drain line just above the trap when I pulled it apart that someone must have been too lazy to throw away. It's worked great ever since. Don't be shocked if there is who knows what in the drain line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote