Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Arrow Jayco Jayflight 29' BB Florida Trip Driving Time

Hello fellow Jayco Owners. My wife, my son, and I will be taking our first long-road time in our 2017 29' 284 Bunk House Trailer Trailer and head towards Disney World in Orlando, Florida. As this will be our first long trip I have a couple of questions that I am hoping experienced travelers can answer.

BACKGROUND: I am planning a trip from Dallas to Orlando which is about 1150 miles one way. I was think about making a stop in Jackson, MS for my first day of traveling, my second stop around Tallahassee or just east of there for my second day traveling and planning to arrive at Fort Wilderness on our third day of traveling. According to my trip planner app it says it should take about 6 hours and 48 minutes for day 1, 7 hours and 34 minutes for day 2, and 3 hours and 56 minutes for day 3.

QUESTION: Am I allowing enough time to travel without getting too exhausted for each day driving around 400 - 500 miles day 1 and day 2, and about 250 miles day 3?

QUESTION: It says travel time 6 hours 48 minutes, is it really like 8 hours 30 minutes travel time with a TT? I usually get up to 60 - 65 MPH with 10MPG gas with my Tow Vehicle.

QUESTION: Should we reserve a decent RV Park for the stops on day 1 and day 2 with full hookup or should we dry dock in overnight parking like Walmart or Travel Station (Loves, Flying J's)?

We are not planning on doing any sight seeing or stopping at any attractions along the way just driving to the park, staying 7 days and then driving back. (6 days travel time - 3 down and 3 back, with 7 days parked in Orlando).

Any and All insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
GeoTrain (Rookie Driver, Noobie TT Owner)
geotrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

When we travel to the Destin area every summer, I drive to the Hattiesburg, MS area. We stay at Okatoma Resort & Rv Park (Okatoma Resort & RV Park - Hattiesburg, MS - RV Park Reviews) just for an overnight. It's a long ways! I drive about 12 hours that day (cruise set at 62 MPH) and then on day 2 we get up when we get up and cruise into Destin for about 5 hours driving time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotrain View Post

QUESTION: Am I allowing enough time to travel without getting too exhausted for each day driving around 400 - 500 miles day 1 and day 2, and about 250 miles day 3? I think you will be fine with these numbers.

QUESTION: It says travel time 6 hours 48 minutes, is it really like 8 hours 30 minutes travel time with a TT? I usually get up to 60 - 65 MPH with 10MPG gas with my Tow Vehicle. It will be closer to 8/9 hours driving. I think it took me 8 hours to get to Vicksburg, MS from Dallas, TX the last time we were towing. We've also stayed at the Ameristar in Vicksburg for our overnight return trip from Destin. It's the halfway point.

QUESTION: Should we reserve a decent RV Park for the stops on day 1 and day 2 with full hookup or should we dry dock in overnight parking like Walmart or Travel Station (Loves, Flying J's)? That's going to entirely up to you. I've done both, but the DW prefers stay at RV Park.[/COLOR]

We are not planning on doing any sight seeing or stopping at any attractions along the way just driving to the park, staying 7 days and then driving back. (6 days travel time - 3 down and 3 back, with 7 days parked in Orlando).

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #3

Are you saying you drive from Dallas to Hattiesburg MS taking you 12 hours on day 1 and then pull into Orlando on Day 2?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Are you saying you drive from Dallas to Hattiesburg MS taking you 12 hours on day 1 and then pull into Orlando on Day 2?
No, I end my trip at Destin.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

@Here anyone drive from DFW to Orlando in 2 days (12 hours a day) pulling a TT?
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

You'll love Wilderness Park. We did the trip from the North (Canada) about 4 years ago 1450 miles as well as other trips south to Carolina and Florida. We find that we average about 50 miles per hour with traffic and gas stops. How many rest breaks and for how long you take and whether at restaurants or sandwiches on the go is subjective and will add time accordingly.

My personal preference is to get a good chunk of driving out of the way the first evening, especially with kids. If I can get everything ready to go prior to departure day, I go to bed early and leave at 1:00 or 2:00 am and drive until 7:00 or 8:00 am, stop for breakfast and then drive a couple of more hours (one movie on the DVD player) and stop for lunch at a rest area and grab a few winks while dog, son and wife stretch their legs at the rest area, and then 2-3 more hours and hit a campground with a pool and hot-tub just before supper (Day 1). I'll get a good night's sleep and next morning leave at 6 or 7 am next morning when everybody is awake and take breaks as necessary next day and try to get within 100 to 150 miles of Disney (Day 2). This allows for early arrival on Day 3 to get the lay of the land, explore the campground/pools and get your park passes set up and figure out whether you are taking the trolley or the boat to your first park.

When we were at Disney, park passes were $60 per person per day for the first 5 days and then dropped to $5 per person per day for each additional day. If you can add some extra week day visits, you won't regret it.

Brings back great memories, enjoy your trip !!
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello fellow Jayco Owners. My wife, my son, and I will be taking our first long-road time in our 2017 29' 284 Bunk House Trailer Trailer and head towards Disney World in Orlando, Florida. As this will be our first long trip I have a couple of questions that I am hoping experienced travelers can answer.

BACKGROUND: I am planning a trip from Dallas to Orlando which is about 1150 miles one way. I was think about making a stop in Jackson, MS for my first day of traveling, my second stop around Tallahassee or just east of there for my second day traveling and planning to arrive at Fort Wilderness on our third day of traveling. According to my trip planner app it says it should take about 6 hours and 48 minutes for day 1, 7 hours and 34 minutes for day 2, and 3 hours and 56 minutes for day 3.

QUESTION: Am I allowing enough time to travel without getting too exhausted for each day driving around 400 - 500 miles day 1 and day 2, and about 250 miles day 3

QUESTION: Should we reserve a decent RV Park for the stops on day 1 and day 2 with full hookup or should we dry dock in overnight parking like Walmart or Travel Station (Loves, Flying J's)?

Thanks,

I can only provide my opinion on these two questions you posed...

First I think you are giving yourself plenty of time. We make the trip from MD to Disney and its about 900 miles or so. Last trip I drove about 600 miles to Georgia on the first day and then 300 miles or so to Orlando the second day. So your 400-500 miles day 1 and 2 shouldn't be a problem. We only stop for fuel. The family uses the bathroom and we get food only when stopping for fuel.

On your other question about where to stop for the evening, that's personal preference. I booked ahead of time at a full hookup campground. I didn't unhook from my truck, but I did hookup all sewer, water and electric. We leave early on day one so we arrive to our first overnight spot before dinner time. Then we can relax for a few hours before bed.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun at Ft Wilderness. My wife has already booked another trip for us there later this year...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

I guess everyone travels different. I never drive more than 250 miles a day on purpose. Sometimes I have to in order to make it to the next town but it's not part of my plan.

I also don't make reservations (except at the final destination) as that puts you on a schedule and requires you to reach your destination each night. I've never had a problem pulling into a RV park and getting a spot for the night.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

I think that 400 miles a day is do-able, but its going to be very tiring. We find that on average, we drive 50 mph when towing. That includes stopping for fuel, potty breaks (4 year old and 2 year old), quick meals at rest stops, etc. At 50 mph average, that is 8 hours on the road to do 400 miles. Possible, but tiring. With kids, 8 hours sitting in a car can be rough, which means that they will be pretty tired.

We try to stay around 300 ish miles per day with the trailer and 2 kiddos.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
Site Team

We did just over 800 miles straight thru from Disney to WV it took right at 14 hours. I would not recommend this. but do to time off work it was what we had to do. So saying all that I think 4-500 miles a day is very doable.
Have fun at the Fort. It was the best campground I have ever had the privilege of staying at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #11

I think your schedule is very reasonable. Personally, I would drive longer hours on my travel days to get an extra 1/2 day or so at my destination. But all that depends on your comfort level. I would echo what others have said about 50 mph though. That seems to be the sweet spot when you figure in traffic, fuel stops, and meal stops.

We try to travel as much as we can when the kid is asleep. He's 2, so he still sleeps quite a bit. We will leave after lunch on the first day (or earlier if we need to, and add a stop for lunch), drive until a little while after he wakes up from his after-lunch nap, stop for a little break, drive some more, stop for dinner, stretch our legs for a bit, get him ready for bed, put him to bed at 7 pm in his car seat (his normal bedtime) and then "drop the hammer" (only fuel stops from that point on) while he sleeps. We can go until midnight or 1am at that rate. Then we will stop for a quick "overnighter" anywhere we can park, move everyone into their beds in the trailer, and get back at it right after breakfast the next day. This would usually put us at our destination in the evening of the second travel day doing the number of miles you're talking about.

One difficulty with our method is that DW doesn't do well driving at night. She has a tendency to get really sleepy when it gets dark, and she has bad eyesight. So I usually try to get her to drive some during the day to take some of the pressure off me. We also have to "entertain" the toddler sometimes. That involves whoever is on "navigator" duty moving to the back seat to interact with the boy. I also have trouble "shutting down" after just having hopped out of the driver seat, so I have trouble going to sleep. I need a bit of "decompression" time before my head hits the pillow. I get a little of that when I take the dog for a walk, but I usually end up laying awake for a while after we stop, even though I'm exhausted.

We could mitigate some of those problems by adding time to our travel budget, but most of the time it's just not possible. When we're on a long road trip, it's more about the destination for us, so we want to get there as quick as possible so we can maximize our time there.

I'd like to hear how the trip goes for you. What worked? What didn't? I would like to do a similar trip in a few years.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

I did a 12 hr day, once. I was trashed at the end of the day and decided that was too much for me. Maybe when I was in my 40's but I've just started the back-side of 60 and it's too long in the saddle for me. We try to keep a day's drive to 400 mi or less these days.
I've recently retired and we now have the option to make shorter days and stay an extra night if we want which is nice.
We visited WDW in the 5th in '14 and loved it. The trip from Houston to Orlando is around 1000 miles and we did it in 3 days going and 2 days returning, last day was long and I was pooped.

Every time I turned around that Mouse had his hand in my pocket but I always had a smile on my face. He knows how to show you a good time.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse1 View Post
snip...
We visited wdw in the 5th in '14 and loved it. ...snip...
Every time i turned around that mouse had his hand in my pocket but i always had a smile on my face. He knows how to show you a good time.
You nailed it!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #14

I guess I'm not the right guy to talk to about drive times. From Nashville to Ft. Wilderness is about 700 miles. We have reservations at Ft. Wilderness beginning on Sunday 2/12 and we'll be heading out on Monday 1/30 to get there in time. Probably won't be doing any 12-14 hours days.

Retirement is great.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I guess I'm not the right guy to talk to about drive times. From Nashville to Ft. Wilderness is about 700 miles. We have reservations at Ft. Wilderness beginning on Sunday 2/12 and we'll be heading out on Monday 1/30 to get there in time. Probably won't be doing any 12-14 hours days.

Retirement is great.
That's what I'm talkin' about! Slow down enough to smell something other than the diesel exhaust. 👍

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500 miles, disney, dry docking, travel time, walmart