Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Hey, kickthtires, would be interested in what MPG's you are getting with your gas 2500HD if you care to share and what you get on your up coming trip to NC. I avg 11 mpg with my diesel @ 64-65 mph pulling my 32BHDS.
moho1. I will post a reply with the MPG after the trip as this is a first long distance pull. Have not really checked it locally. The past 2 years the same trip was made pulling a Coachmen 26BH(same truck) and the MPG were 8-9 through the mountains of WV. Through NC was 10-12. Expecting it to go down a little.
kickthetires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Hey, kickthtires, would be interested in what MPG's you are getting with your gas 2500HD if you care to share and what you get on your up coming trip to NC. I avg 11 mpg with my diesel @ 64-65 mph pulling my 32BHDS.
We just got back from an around 4000 mile trip over 3 weeks. Iowa to the Black Hills, then to Orlando, then back to Iowa. I tracked the mileage using Fuelly, and the average MPG I had when towing the camper (I removed any tank where I partially didn't tow the camper) was 8.15MPG over 21 tanks. We were towing with 30-50 gallons of water on board.

This is on a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' bed with the 6.4 Hemi pulling a 29BHDS. We kept it at 65 unless the speed limit was slower, almost all interstate.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #23

I tend to agree with the overall thread. I too own a 32BHDS, and like 'Need, I pull with a 2500HD crew.

I truly have an enjoyable time towing. I've trailered almost 3500 miles between last season and this season so far. This camper raises EVERYONES eyebrows when it comes into the weekend warrior spots, most people who are seasonal camp in smaller units.

It's not half ton towable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #24

For what it's worth. I have a 2014 32bhds, I drive a 2016 ram 3500 megacab diesel. (Had a 2011 Crew cab before)

I live in northern BC (lots of hills) Im sure you could pull it with a smaller gas truck but for me, I like having a nice long heavy truck that will not be pulled around by the trailer when its windy and I always have enugh power to maintain my speed on the hills. Also a huge perk with diesel is the engine brake for going down the hills.

This truck is not broken in yet and I am running it stock so my mpg are around 11-14 depending on were I am driving.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #25

I have a 2016 32BHDS and tow with a 2016 ford 3.4 ecobost. it has the max tow package which it is rated at 12,200. I have been on a few shorter trips locally (in CO so up in the mountains) and just got back from a trip to SD. the truck has no issues at all pulling the trailer when loaded with supplies for a week, including water (has the extra tank so 80gallons). I did get a load bearing hitch to help, and it sure does help. I got around 10MPG on the trip, going between 65 and 70 most of the trip (55 in parts Wyoming with that crappy wind).
I used to tow a friends camper with my 6.0TD excursion. while it handled a bit better (it was such a heavy truck) it had a little less power than the new one.
co_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #26

Co,

Have you happened to weigh your rig? It would be interesting to see the results if so to see if you are under the gvwr and rar of your truck. Especially with the fresh water tanks (80g) full as a large portion of the fresh water weight add to the tw.

Another thing you should check is to verify you are under the trucks receiver hitch rating. Last I had read from Ford owners posting was the new trucks had a limit of 1200lbs tw for the receiver hitch (I believe that's what it was). Not sure how you would be under that rating packed for a week trip, with full fresh water tanks....

It really isn't an issue as to having enough " engine power" to tow this rolling brick, it is having enough tv payload to handle the 32 BHDS. While it is possible you are under all your trucks ratings, as we all load our trailer different, it would be great to see your loaded for a trip weight slips. If you read my post on page 1, I explained what all is "carried" by the tv and what weights count toward the tv ratings.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #27

I have not had the weight check done yet, mainly as I was not sure how to go about doing that (this is my first camper). form what i read I think I can just pull into a weight station and pay to have a few done. that I wanted to do one with just the trailer and one with the full setup, right? I do know that one of my first trips I did not pay attention to how I loaded it and had a LOT of stuff in the back bunkhouse area and got a lot of the porpoising effect. after reading up on that and made sure that I put more of the gear in the front and on the last few trips I had no issues.

the truck's book was listing it as 12,200lbs but online I see it as 11,500lbs.
dry the trailer is around 7900, with water (670lbs), propane and batteries (around 200lbs), and gear (between 300 and 900 depending on the trip) should be right under 9700. so I am up there but not at the max. most of the time I shore camp so I either get water there or they have hookups. The heaviest will be when I go out when go out to a dark site with my telescopes as i will have all my gear and water on that trip. I will need to setup for that one and then get a weight in done.
co_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #28

Co,

Look in your drivers door jamb for a yellow sticker that states "All occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". What is the weight listed on the sticker?

To weigh your rig, follow the link in my signature for the CAT Scale how to.

You want to weigh at least three time total.

I go in and talk to the attendant first, stating I need to weigh three time and ask if I can pay for all afterward. This is my method, slightly different order, but same results though. Have the truck and trailer loaded like you would for a trip, with all passengers in the truck that normally go with. Since there are time you have a full fresh water tank vs empty, I would suggest weighing with the tank full so you know the worst case.

1: Truck and trailer w/ wd bars hooked up.

2: Truck and trailer w/ wd bars unhooked. If no one is waiting for the scale, I will unhook the bars right on the scale.

3: Truck only. Leave wdh in, and throw the bars in the truck bed.

Make sure you do not pull to far forward on the scale. If you do, the rear wheels could end up on the front wheels scale pad.

And have a broom stick (or similar) to reach the call button.

As I mentioned, it isn't how much a 150/1500 can tow per the manufacture, but the other ratings that most will exceed before reaching the max tow rating.

Truck payload: all occupants, cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added (truck cap/tonneau cover, step bars,etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) ALL count toward the trucks available payload and the gvwr of the truck.

The rar (rear axle rating) is usually the next to be exceeded before reaching the max tow rating.

In the link for the CAT Scale, I believe there is a link to the scale locator to see if there is one near you. If all you can find is a single scale pad (grain elevator), you can get all the weights you need from that also, just a little more involved.

Single scale pad:
1: Truck and trailer w/ wd bars hooked up-
Truck front wheels on scale.
Truck front and rear wheels on scale.
Truck and trailer- all wheels on scale.
2: Truck and trailer w/ wd bars unhooked-
Repeat above, one axle at a time.

3: Truck only-
Again, one axle at a time.

This will allow us to help you figure out your tw of the 32, total trailer weight, and if the wd hitch is adjusted properly.

To give you an idea of your estimated tw based on the estimated 9700lb loaded trailer, it should be 12-15% of the loaded trailer weight. Having full water tanks will be on the higher end, possibly exceeding the 15% (not a bad thing if the truck, the trucks receiver hitch, and wdh are rated for it). This means your tw could be in the ballpark of 1164lbs-1455lbs, possibly even higher. Plus any gear in the bed, plus all the passenger weight.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthetires View Post
moho1. I will post a reply with the MPG after the trip as this is a first long distance pull. Have not really checked it locally. The past 2 years the same trip was made pulling a Coachmen 26BH(same truck) and the MPG were 8-9 through the mountains of WV. Through NC was 10-12. Expecting it to go down a little.

Through the mountains of WV I got just shy of 8 MPG.
Through NC I averaged about 8.5 MPG
Good trip.
kickthetires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthetires View Post
Through the mountains of WV I got just shy of 8 MPG.
Through NC I averaged about 8.5 MPG
Good trip.
Glad to hear you had a good trip!!!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #31

My rig weighs 18,000 combined with my golf cart in the bed. While you don't need a dually to pull it theres no way an f-150 is a comfortable ride at 70mph towing a 32bhds.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #32

We tow our Whitehawk 32dbsh with a 1 ton Chevy van. It does a great job, we get round 9mpg on the East Coast (no real mountains).

I can't imagine towing this beast with less truck.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #33

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/0af909040c5aeb8cde0b107336e886ba.jpg[/IMG we haul with a 2500 diesel ..

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
keto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #34

Hi Guys,

I am reviving this thread as it kinda relates to a question I had while reading it.

We are planing on getting a 32BHDS in about 18 months pending DW trying camping in a rental and like it as I expect she will . Currently my truck hitch is rated to a max of 8000 pounds with WDH and a TW of 800 pounds. This is not enough, so at some point of the winter I am going to buy a Curt hitch to replace it, I was looking at the Class 4 with a max rating of 12000/1200 as this is very near the max ratings of my truck. After reading this thread maybe I should get the Class 5 which exceeds my truck ratings and maxes out at 17000/1700. It is about 25 pounds heavier but I am expecting to be near the max gvwr of my truck anyway.

Just for reference my truck is a 2003 6.0 F250 with the camper package, not that the camper package changes the GVWR for this truck even with much beefier suspension. I am sure the truck can handle the trailer, I am not worried about that just making sure I get the right hitch for the job.

Thank you all for your input and time.

James
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #35

Hi to you. Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.

The 2017 32BHDS on the Jayco site shows a Gross Weight of 9,975lbs and 0.15 of that is ~1,000lbs.

So, from what you provided, the Class 4 would be fine. I'd be fine with that if it was my truck, but that's me. I'm sure you'll hear from others very soon.

EDIT: Oops! Tongue weight ~1,500! Thanks need-a-vacation.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #36

Welcome and hope the camping experience is a positive one!!!! Tell your wife even if it rains, camping is still better than being at work!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Hi to you. Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.

The 2017 32BHDS on the Jayco site shows a Gross Weight of 9,975lbs and 0.15 of that is ~1,000lbs.

So, from what you provided, the Class 4 would be fine. I'd be fine with that if it was my truck, but that's me. I'm sure you'll hear from others very soon.
I have to disagree with old man on his math and suggestion that the class 4 hitch is enough. At almost 10k lbs gvwr, a 15% tw would be ~1500lbs, not 1000lbs.....

With a "brochure" tw of ~950lbs, you are over ~1100lbs once the 2-30lb full propane tanks and a battery are on the tongue. Add a fair amount to the front pass through storage, haul a fair amount or water (or full tanks), and you are way over the 1200lb class 4 hitch rating.

While I haven't gotten any updated weights yet since I posted on the first page (post #3), I still stand by what I posted then. Hopefully if time allows I will get some updated trailer weights tmrw on our way north. If I do I will try to post the updated weights when I get a chance.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
...snip

While I haven't gotten any updated weights yet since I posted on the first page (post #3), I still stand by what I posted then. Hopefully if time allows I will get some updated trailer weights tmrw on our way north. If I do I will try to post the updated weights when I get a chance.
I've seen TW on mine approach 1600 pounds before. I've since put the trailer on a "diet," and now a adays my pickup body only carries three bikes.

But 1600 pounds TW on the 32 BHDS is easily accomplished with full tanks and full pass through. The distance from the tandems to the tounge is quite a long distance on the 32!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome and hope the camping experience is a positive one!!!! Tell your wife even if it rains, camping is still better than being at work!!!!
She stopped working when DS was born she is going back to work this month. Somehow she actually enjoys working, that I can't understand.

This is good information on the weights, I would prefer to be on the too much side than the too little side. Reading the responses I am leaning towards the Class 5.

Thanks

James
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #39
Site Team

Our tw is routinely around 1300 lbs. the only outside storage is all the way across the front so the TW adds up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #40

Being a newbe with my first TT, I looked into what I thought would be comfortable for the Truck I own because it's paid for... (2008 Tundra CrewMax, 5.7, tow rating 10,300, 52,000 miles)...I went with the Whitehawk 24RKS. 5400 dry, 6400 loaded. Did a little 2 hour, 3 day shake down, went fine. Then did a 2,000+Mile, 5 day run, through great roads, horrible roads, under construction roads, 6% upgrades, and 6% downgrades, don't forget thunderstorms. Much of which was 100 degrees or more. This is all new to me, so it was a white knuckle event, but upon reflecting back it really went fine. Never let my Truck go above 3,000-3,500 RPM, and worked with what I had. Not really comfortable with towing, but used common sense to give a little breathing room. The 24RKS is great for my wife, me and two dogs, but honestly a few more is fine too.

Don't want to purchase a new TV, buy what you can tow with what you have. On our long trip, saw way too many folks that were way overloaded.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote