Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #61

We added a 3" memory foam mattress topper to the mattress in our Melbourne 24L. We tried sleeping on it a couple of nights and it was hard and uncomfortable. With the topper we slept great. The one we purchased was a LUCID 3-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Queen. We had to trim it a bit to fit the mattress in the motorhome since it is a little smaller than a queen but larger than a full size mattress. We purchased it through AMAZON.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #62

Dealer told me that the 2018 coming out with a much improved mattress. Can anyone verify this ?
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog72 View Post
Dealer told me that the 2018 coming out with a much improved mattress. Can anyone verify this ?
I´ll tell you this . Never slept in it but it has already been replaced .Went with a 11¨ memory memory foam mattress. Ours came with the same simmons mattress that is in the 17´s we looked at .
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #64

As a kid I camped with Dad in an army tent in an old sleeping bag ON THE GROUND. I remember those days With extreme fondness.

After marriage we got a tent WITH AN ACTUAL FLOOR and used an air mattress under the sleeping bag. Boy, we thought that was awesome.

After we got enough money together we bought a 24 year old trailer that had a 3" foam cushion under the converted dining table. That was even better.

Two years ago we bought a Jayco 195RB with an actual MATTRESS, and when camping now we thought we were in heaven. Someone suggested a foam topper and now we're better than heaven.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. If someone has sciatica or needs perfection, maybe a Holiday Inn Express is the better option.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
I´ll tell you this . Never slept in it but it has already been replaced .Went with a 11¨ memory memory foam mattress. Ours came with the same simmons mattress that is in the 17´s we looked at .

Like you, we never slept on the Denver mattress that came with our 2016 38FDDS. Just laying on it it for 2 minutes at the PDI and we knew it wasn’t going to work for us with the DW’s rheumatoid arthritis. We replaced it immediately with an 11” Brentwood Homes memory gel mattress. We liked it so much, we now sleep on one in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. If someone has sciatica or needs perfection, maybe a Holiday Inn Express is the better option.
After dropping $14 K on a trailer a good nights sleep seemed reasonable. And we followed the ground, air mattress, foam mattress route to our 195RB.

After the first night I had a hollowed out spot where I slept that never went away. In the spring I am going to try to get something out of Jayco with some pictures. We are still under warranty.

In any case, we are getting a full memory foam mattress next spring.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
After dropping $14 K on a trailer a good nights sleep seemed reasonable. And we followed the ground, air mattress, foam mattress route to our 195RB.

After the first night I had a hollowed out spot where I slept that never went away. In the spring I am going to try to get something out of Jayco with some pictures. We are still under warranty.

In any case, we are getting a full memory foam mattress next spring.
The wife and I total about 400 pounds. After maybe 100 or so nights our mattress looks the same as new. If you have hollowed out spots, it definitely seems like a warranty issue.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
As a kid I camped with Dad in an army tent in an old sleeping bag ON THE GROUND. I remember those days With extreme fondness.

After marriage we got a tent WITH AN ACTUAL FLOOR and used an air mattress under the sleeping bag. Boy, we thought that was awesome.

After we got enough money together we bought a 24 year old trailer that had a 3" foam cushion under the converted dining table. That was even better.

Two years ago we bought a Jayco 195RB with an actual MATTRESS, and when camping now we thought we were in heaven. Someone suggested a foam topper and now we're better than heaven.

Not quite. The memory topper did not work for us. After 70 days camping we had a hole in the mattress from
Jayco
We got a Sleep Master Memory foam 10 inch mattress and it does the trick
Before telling me I need the Holiday Inn be aware that my Exped backpacking air mattress weighing in at one lb is way more comfy than the ORM with foam topper
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #69

These are not expensive trailers. Why expect an expensive mattress? We have had three RV's so far and all were bottom of the line mattresses that were not much better than a thick foam pad.

Don't expect a better one unless you go way up the price chain. Our fiver also has the cheap simmons. We like toppers and/or replacement mattresses.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #70

We also have put in a cut to fit memory foam mattresses topper. We put one in the traded in Rockwood and just moved it to the Jayco without even sleeping on the Jayco mattress first.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #71

Quote:
I can verify that they need to. After 2 trips we ordered a memory foam mattress and gave the original mattress to a thrift store. Should have burned it.
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #72

We've used our '18 Jayco/Simmons mattress for less than two weeks. We've already got two sag spots about 2" deep on each side. Local service advisor told us he gets a lot of complaints about these Jayco mattresses. Said it has to sag at least 1" before Jayco will replace them under warranty.

Hard to believe Jayco/Simmons would install/make a mattress that has a 100% failure rate---but, heck, you never know. Got our fingers crossed the replacement doesn't turn into another slow-forming coffin--lol! Since the replacement is on Jayco, we'll give the replacement a try. Unlike a lot of folks here we actually enjoyed sleeping on this mattress before it started to sag.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #73

We used our ‘16 Jayco/Denver short queen mattress for 1 season and replaced it with a 10” Perfect Cloud memory foam mattress at the beginning of last season.

Our ‘18 Jayco/Simmons full queen was never slept on, took it out still in the bag when we brought it home last month and replaced it with a 8” Perfect Cloud memory foam mattress. The Simmons mattress is barely 6” thick and very hard. Went with the 8” memory foam this time because the struts on the ‘16 had a hard time holding the bed up because the 10” was pretty heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #74

It just goes to show you that everyone's needs and expectations are different.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #75

Greyhawk 26Y Folding mattress

We just purchased a new 2018 Greyhawk 26Y which a bedroom slide to accomdoate a 8" foam mattress that folds up at the lower 24 inches when slide is in. Knew that when we bought it, but this mattress is only 70" long which is SHORTER than than a "short queen"!!!! Width is 60 inches It slept ok for one night, but the stanard 60" WIDTH is so tight up by the head it is almost impossible to make the bed. We're having a custom innerspring made which 57" wide and 72" inch long which gives a little more length and 3" narrower for more side room for making the bed and will fold at 24' at the bottom to flip up when the slide comes in. Love the coach, but Jayco ought to stay in their rigs a while to work out these creature comfort issues I'd rather not be spending more $$$$'s , but gotta have a decent sleep.
Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
After 2 trips we ordered a memory foam mattress and gave the original mattress to a thrift store. Should have burned it.
I did (burn it, that is).

Didn't bother with trying to get Jayco or the dealer to replace it. Purchased a 10 inch "Live and Sleep" memory foam mattress from Amazon and love it.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #77

I/we have a sleep number bed at home. I have never checked to see if they make a 12 volt model, a short narrow queen size maybe? Just saying it would be a point of interest for us. Our 2" memory foam topper works for us.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM   #78

Quote:
Our 2018 SLX212 came with a Seely queen. Unless the previous models came with granite slabs, it’s not much improved. We bought a 3-inch Novaform gelfoam topper at Costco and it is the most comfortable bed we own. Too bad it cost another $130 ☹️
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #79

We have the same mattress. We bought a memory foam topper (about $80) and a padded mattress cover to go over that. Sleeps great now. To get something better would mean at least $200 mattress upgrade.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #80

I replaced, without even sleeping on it once, the Simmons mattress that came in my new 23RB. I bought a Dynasty Deluxe 10" memory foam RV Queen mattress for my old trailer. When I sold it, I took the 10" memory foam mattress and immediately put it in my new trailer.

It sleeps very well. However if I had it to do over, I'd have gotten an 8" model. The 10" is tall and very heavy.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote