Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #1

jayco not very stable with slide out and canopy out...

We just finished our first trip...first time I was able to slide OUT the slide out and canopy

And after leveling and lowering the stabilizers, the trailer still moved a bit when people walked in it...not very stable...

I put wheel chocks down, but it didn't help...
I thought about getting the chocks that go between the tires, that tighten up against each tire in 2 places hoping this will keep the tires from moving at all

I had a few 2x6's under each stabilizer foot to I didn't have to lower stabilizers down too far...
However I also had about 6 2x6's under the tongue jack...thinking maybe that was the problem and I need bigger pieces off wood as to not have a "steeple" effect...thoughts?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #2

It seems to me the bigger the trailer, the more they bounce when parked. The chocks that go between the tires seem to be the fix from what I read.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

It's not a house foundation you'll always have some with rubber tires and a light as possible frame that flexes. Think of it as your house boat.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

The X-chocks seem to work well on my TT for the forward/backward motion. I ended up putting Save-A-Step step supports under the first step to limit the movement from stepping in.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

We have spent so many days/nights in TT's over 40 years that we just don't notice the movement any more. I sort of see it as a method of knowing when someone is about to come in. But X chocks do help.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

just ordered some x chocks
have to look into save a step supporters
Old 05-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

I've found movement even with the X-Chocks installed. I added a bottle jack on a chunk of 6X6 positioned under the front spring shackle. Once I'm parked at the campsite, I add the jack, pumping it until I get about 1/2" - 1" of lift, then drop the stabilizers.

This supports the frame and seems to reduced the amount of bounce I get. Remember, the trailer is sitting on leaf springs, so IMO, adding the X-Chock won't cure the problem as the springs are still flexing.

I've considered adding this (or fabricating something like it):

Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

My 29 foot Jayco is VERY wobbly. Even with the stabs down, if I lay in bed and my wife walks across the floor the whole camper shakes and shimmy's. I've noticed that the camper is very wobbly (side to side) when the power jack is down. I mean I can literally push against the trailer and it sways a LOT. With the stabs down, it still sways a lot.

I borrowed some X-chocks and it helps some with the front to back motion... but it still moves quite a bit side to side. My old trailer with manual jack didn't have that much slop in the power jack. My in-laws doesn't have that much slop. I plan to go back to the dealer and push on some other Jayco's and see if they have as much slop.

When I bought my current trailer, they noticed the factory jack was bent and replaced it with the same brand jack. I wonder if something was installed wrong.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Only way to get ride of all the wobble is what Fatfenders did. The front to back movement can be fixed with chocks. Either the small kind that go in front or back of the tires, or the kind that set between them and are spread out.
The side to side movement is caused by the front tongue jack and tires. After setting up go to the rear of the TT and shove it sideways. You'll see the tire sidewall flexing. The tongue jack isn't really solid either. Some form of cross bracing is required to keep the sideways motion from happening. Some guys go the cheapo route and just C clamp a piece of angle iron from the frame down diagonally to a scissor jack. You will need one on the front and one running the opposite direction on the rear. You could also invest in some JT Strong Arm Jack Stabilizer System - Travel Trailer Kit - Mobile Outfitters (Lippert) 191025 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
The last thing that can cause some movement is the bounce from the springs and tires. A 3rd jack placed next to the tires up to the frame will stop most of the bounce.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

I bought a pair of scissor jacks and place them under the frame between the front and rear stabilizers. But only for extended trips, like wintering in AZ. It reduces the movement a lot. For short stays, I just pretend we're on our boat.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #11

I use something like Fatfender uses but mine attach to the stabilizer scissor jacks The link I posted is where I got them. Not too expensive and easy to install. I also posted a photo of what they look like. They stop 90% of the side to side movement of the TT Lock-Arm Jack Stabilizer Bar from BAL on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Attached Thumbnails
WH mod5asm.jpg  
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Steady Fast System

If you really want to get rid of 90 to 95% of the motion, invest approx $300.00 in the Steady Fast System. My Tow Behind is 35.5' and was like a ship at sea
until I installed the S/F Sys. Need to have the TT as level as possible.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote