Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Jayco Quality?????????? A comment.

I bought a used 2012 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light 221.

It appeared to have never been used. The previous owner confirmed same.

Found the only drawer did not have a complete latch to keep it closed. Never installed. The radio speaker on and off switches for the Jenson, do not work as designed,or not at all.
The original shipping ticket showing all the amenities and options, show Radial tires, but they are bias ply.
These are the original tires, I believe.
Now I bought it as a used unit, and I am completely satisfied with it, but I am just making an observation.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

ok
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

I would not put much weight into what you found since you do not know the history of the TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

I've found that owning a camper is no different than owning a home. Whether they are new or used, there ARE going to be things that need fixing and it helps to be handy. But, that's part of the fun of ownership in my opinion!
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

I always buy used...That said, buying used, you never really know for sure what is a manufacturing defect and what was "broken" by the previous owner. Radio could've been broken by previous owner. It's also possible the previous owner swapped out the radials for bias plies... You can speculate on all that, but why bother....Just enjoy. FWIW, I have no complaints about the 10-year-old X23B that I bought used.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I would not put much weight into what you found since you do not know the history of the TT.
I totally agree. Who would buy a trailer, never use it, and sell it at a major loss 2 yrs later?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I totally agree. Who would buy a trailer, never use it, and sell it at a major loss 2 yrs later?

someone who thought they might like camping and now realize they hate it. Or a death. Many reasons and likely happens quite often.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

I'm guessing only about 10 percent of RV owners actually use them over 1 or 2 times. It's a dream that burst for lots. I was in a storage lot the other day looking at a used boat. There was RVs and boats everywhere, majority had flat tires or almost flat. You could tell they hadn't been moved for years. Rotting to the ground right there.

And on that 2012 the tires are probably close to 4 years old, if original, and time to change out. There is a date code on the side of the tire.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #9

Many years ago an acquaintance bought a new TT, used it once, then parked it in the drive. Used occasionally for a spare bedroom, then not used again. Eventually he and his wife both died, the older son and his family continued to live in the house and didn't get rid of the TT until his wife needed a parking space for another vehicle.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #10

These people go to the RV shows, get all caught up in the glamor and see them selves siting up beside some crystal clear lake beside a fire with a full moon.
Then they actually go out...then they have to set up, hook everything up, level, back in..what's this..no water view...there's bugs here....there totally wore and stressed out from sitting up. Then what...gotta empty the crapper...what..this drawer don't work...what we got a water leak...crap...then they have to pack it all back in...there one and done. Then the RV just sits there.
You have to be a special person to RV..you need to have some mechanical skills..lots common sense..patience...hey it's a RV that's gonna get bounced all over the road..stuffs gonna break...if you can't fix minor stuff your RV will be at dealer for months. Screws always need tightens...roof sealed and on and on.
I've seen people take 1/2 day to get set up. Me..I'm done in 15 min.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #11

Actually I agree with the points about Jayco quality control. Every Jayco I have bought new (3 of them) had small issues like yours. On our X20E for example the bathroom door was misaligned and wouldn't always close. The plastic molding on one side of the bathroom door wasn't glued down. The main door had to be adjusted to close easily.

BTW, there is an entire thread about this subject somewhere. I just can't find it right now.

We have neighbors who had two different trailers over a period of years. They would use it for a 4 day weekend once every summer. They never used it at all in 2012 and 2013. They sold it early this summer. They told us that they just never really knew where to take it. I think they just weren't "into it" like the rest of us are. Someone got a great trailer, these folks would spend the better part of a day in the spring and fall cleaning and doing maintenance.

On the plus side for us, they had a rummage sale after selling their trailer and we got thier Kuereg Mini for $20. They only used it twice.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #12

New potential RV buyer Questionaire.

1. Have you ever tent camped?
1a. If so how many times
1b. If so have you frozen your butt off at least once

2. If you have tent camped and cook over an outdoor fire circle which answer most applies to you.

2a. I burn my meat to a crisp
2b. We like half our steak raw and the other half burned
2c. Ashes give that "extra" flavor" to our food
2d. How do you build a fire

3. Sleep
3a. How does your back do on hard ground
3b. Do you carry a blow up mattress patch kit in your glove box

4. Supplies - Which answer most applies to you
4a. We have to rent a u-haul to get it all there
4b. We always make sure the campsite is near a Walmart
4c. YOU NEED SUPPLIES

And my dear fellow RV'ers. Please add to the questionaire if you so desire..

This message is in response to the great posts here about getting and using your new RV..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

Let me explain. I bought the unit from a dealer, with no explanation of it's past history.
After getting it home, I found several things that were confusing. All instructions for the fridge, were in the fridge. Tags were still on the upholstery, Oven and range were as clean as a new one. Outdoor grill had never been used.
I happened upon the original owners name, and googled him and found his number and called him.
He was 87 years old when he bought it, dented it twice trying to back into his yard. After about a year in the back yard, in which he said it was never used, he traded it for a Motor home for his son to drive.
I removed most of the very insignificant dents, after purchasing it.
As I said, we are very pleased with the unit, but I have heard such praise about Jayco quality, I just wanted to comment. This is my second Jayco, in the last 10 or 12 years by the way. Thanks to all for commenting. Jim
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #14

We're not bashing you, we just making comments as to why so many campers don't get used. And what you said about the old gents is a prime example.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
These people go to the RV shows, get all caught up in the glamor and see them selves siting up beside some crystal clear lake beside a fire with a full moon.
Then they actually go out...then they have to set up, hook everything up, level, back in..what's this..no water view...there's bugs here....there totally wore and stressed out from sitting up. Then what...gotta empty the crapper...what..this drawer don't work...what we got a water leak...crap...then they have to pack it all back in...there one and done. Then the RV just sits there.
You have to be a special person to RV..you need to have some mechanical skills..lots common sense..patience...hey it's a RV that's gonna get bounced all over the road..stuffs gonna break...if you can't fix minor stuff your RV will be at dealer for months. Screws always need tightens...roof sealed and on and on.
I've seen people take 1/2 day to get set up. Me..I'm done in 15 min.
+1 Very well said. It indeed takes a special person to really enjoy RVing. Unfortunately, too many people DO get caught up in the glamor and hype, and I feel bad for them. Like the old guy the OP bought the trailer from, that's a pretty sad story, I bet he had dreams of regaining some of his youth and traveling this great nation that got dashed when the reality of how much work it is to RV hit him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
New potential RV buyer Questionaire.

1. Have you ever tent camped?
1a. If so how many times
1b. If so have you frozen your butt off at least once

2. If you have tent camped and cook over an outdoor fire circle which answer most applies to you.

2a. I burn my meat to a crisp
2b. We like half our steak raw and the other half burned
2c. Ashes give that "extra" flavor" to our food
2d. How do you build a fire

3. Sleep
3a. How does your back do on hard ground
3b. Do you carry a blow up mattress patch kit in your glove box

4. Supplies - Which answer most applies to you
4a. We have to rent a u-haul to get it all there
4b. We always make sure the campsite is near a Walmart
4c. YOU NEED SUPPLIES

And my dear fellow RV'ers. Please add to the questionaire if you so desire..

This message is in response to the great posts here about getting and using your new RV..

I VERY much enjoyed that little questionnaire! SO much of it hit SO close to home!! Like the cooking meat thing! We were backpacking in the mountains of Colorado. We camped next to a pristine mountain lake and broke out the fishing gear. You could've used a gum wrapper for a lure and caught your limit. Anyway, we caught some fish, cleaned and fileted them, got them into the pan, and our pan was too small!! So some of our fish was more like sushi! Still the best darn fish I've EVER eaten in my entire life!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
We're not bashing you, we just making comments as to why so many campers don't get used. And what you said about the old gents is a prime example.
For sure.

What you just said however explains the difference in tires. If it sat in the yard the original tires would have been rotted and the dealer or orig owner replaced them.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #17

We've pulled our Jayco 36,000 miles since we bought it. We've had four or five fairly minor problems repaired under the warranty. I have repaired or modified many aspects of the trailer to make it better for us. I can say that my trailer has the basics of a well designed mechanical system --- I've had no failures of the frame or suspension, which is not something all trailer owners can say. However, the assembly of the trailer box and interior components is not laudatory.

I think RV consumers are more accepting of RV problems than consumers of other vehicles because everybody knows that RVs always have problems and issues. I don't know that there are answers to all RV problems; but I do believe that as long as the RV consumer is accepting of all the problems nothing will be improved. Perhaps more quality competition will develop.

Will I ever buy another RV? Maybe, if I wear this one out - or have a water leak. Would I buy a new RV knowing it had problems I don't think it should have? Yes. Why? Because that is all that is available in a size, weight, and price that is suitable for me.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #18

These things are built by humans one at a time on a semi automated assembly line, aka moved from work station to work station. Most people compare RV manufacturing to cars, which is not the case. Cars are almost completely made by robots, with a few people doing a few tasks that humans can do better than robots.

Our HTT when new went in a few times for issues, all where minor and all were items I could deal with, but chose not to. If your TT was basically new and never used, it means he never truly check it out and found any of the potential issues and never had them corrected.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
These things are built by humans one at a time on a semi automated assembly line, aka moved from work station to work station. Most people compare RV manufacturing to cars, which is not the case.
Best way I have ever heard anybody explain an RV assembly line. Also if a person is off the person covering probably won't do that job exactly the same way.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #20

They slam them together and push out the door. That's why you pay $3-800 for a PDI. Fix all the rough spots.
I just picked up my new one Tuesday. PDI was listed as $650
Now they are sending a different technician out to my house to repair/fix what they missed. And we gave them Three weeks after purchase to do the PDI...told when we come for it have it ready...don't want to stand around all day...we still stood around for half a day. Them fixing things I was pointing out..like main slide not going all the way in at the bottom front by 2 inches. My son and I adjusted it on the spot so we wouldn't have to wait any longer. You know that small box on the bottom inside of your slide out. About 6 inches high by about 12 inches long and about. 4 inches deep....not even there...it covers all the wires going into the slide to keep kids from screwing with them.
Then that fancy fiberglass painted cover over gas bottles....well they took it off and laid it painted side down on the pavement...now all chipped up.
It can be frustrating at times.