Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #41

"You open a whole new can of worms if you try to remove the existing skylights\vents. And.......no plastic\lexan can survive for long in extreme temperatures. The warranty on these products should be a good hint to their lifetime. Heck, my factory units failed in less than a year!!!!"

While I'll agree the factory units leave a lot to be desired as far as longevity, that's a broad statement on the durability of Lexan/plastic products. Companies like the one that built ours have been constructing greenhouses that sit in the blazing sun on purpose out of these products. Pole barns now are built with "sun panels" on the roof that let extra light in to reduce energy use for illumination. UV Rays will kill anything given time and opportunity, but quality products that are treated with quality coatings and taken care of don't crumble in the sun in a year.

I don't want to flip on a light switch if I don't have too, I love natural light. Surely like mentioned above, there is a company making skylights out of something that will last. Lord knows ours were probably made from the cheapest stuff on the planet.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
So we have a 2016 27BHS on the way with the Elite Package. One of the options it adds is a skylight in the kitchen. While the extra light will be nice, is it worth the risk? I'm thinking it may make the trailer more succeptable to water damage. Any thought from current skylight owners, or anyone's thoughts? I have heard you can delete this option.
I have the same camper you are getting. I love the skylight, but I'm also one of those people that has to be around natural light as much as possible.

It really does let a lot of light in. To be honest, I'm more concerned about the skylight in the bathroom. On my model, that plastic is pretty thin. I just make sure to double check the seals around *all* roof items. Easy maintenance item for us.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Interesting! I assume you mean the powered vent is in the bathroom, and you have another 14x14 vent in a bedroom... AND you're saying the 14x24 skylight opens? Mine (a 2015 model year) has two skylights: one over the shower and the big rectangular one over the kitchen, but both "skylights" are permanently glued to the roof, and have an opposing trim ring in the ceiling of the unit.

I found a company out of Maine that will form a polycarbonate skylight (trade name Lexan) for replacement RV skylights. Polycarbonate comes either clear, white, or black... and ITS shatterproof. So... I'll be going with the black lexan for my two skylights.

Of course, I'm waiting until spring so to have a good water-free roof surface to adhere the new skylight domes to.

Or... I was thinking about filling the hole with studs and decking, and then fitting a sheet of TPO, and using EternaBond. Im not sure what I want to do yet.

(I'll probably just do a skylight)
Just 1 in the bathroom and none in the bedroom. The one in the kitchen, if I can remember is powered and lifts vertically, not on an angle like the bathroom. I will double check and snap a pic if I can get out to the camper. There is still a lot of snow out there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
So we have a 2016 27BHS on the way with the Elite Package. One of the options it adds is a skylight in the kitchen. While the extra light will be nice, is it worth the risk? I'm thinking it may make the trailer more succeptable to water damage. Any thought from current skylight owners, or anyone's thoughts? I have heard you can delete this option.
Living in Arizona we feel there to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter.We used an insulation board to cover ours in the shower area.But to each is own! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
+L.D. Mtn 12-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #45

Yes...totally worth it....love that natural light.

Eric, Vilva & Sam (Golden Retriever)
2015 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2021 Nissan Titan XD
maksdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #46

Ok so I made it out to the camper and here is the run down. Skylight in the shower and powered vent in the bathroom. Here is where I was mistaken. The kitchen has a vent as well that looks like it opens on an angle and no shade, for some reason I thought that it did.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170218_083823.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	29174

Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #47

We have a 2014 Octane. The skylight dome on top developed a small crack on the front side (facing truck). Dealer and Jayco both said most likely from hitting something. Nothing else in area, antennae, sewer vent, front vent and bath vents (with Camco covers) show anything. Have extended warranty (mistake). Dealer did give us a new cover as good faith effort, wants $350 to install. I caulked over crack and will replace when weather permits. Love the light from the shower/bath skylight, just not too happy with the durability of the exterior dome cover.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #48

11 Month update...

I am glad I deleted the Kitchen skylight option on ours, less worries and have not regretted it. Works for us by may not for everyone.

Bondo 303... The powered fan in your photo, real world experience for me is after 6 months the cover for that vent (I have the same exact one) on the roof is extremely brittle and the little vents that open on the side disentigrate and mine is currently held together with duct tape. One hit from a tree branch and it will collapse in. I caught it because I had a water leak from the cover.

I am changing out to a Max Fan, wanted to mention it so you can keep an eye on it.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
11 Month update...

I am glad I deleted the Kitchen skylight option on ours, less worries and have not regretted it. Works for us by may not for everyone.

Bondo 303... The powered fan in your photo, real world experience for me is after 6 months the cover for that vent (I have the same exact one) on the roof is extremely brittle and the little vents that open on the side disentigrate and mine is currently held together with duct tape. One hit from a tree branch and it will collapse in. I caught it because I had a water leak from the cover.

I am changing out to a Max Fan, wanted to mention it so you can keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the update. I will be sure to keep an eye on it.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #50

Just cracked my exterior skylight lens

I was covering up my camper for the NY winter and was curious as to how these skylights would handle the snow load. I have a 2015 27DSRL that has two of these: one over the kitchen and another over the shower. The external plastic is very thin. The lightest load on the top and it oil canned in, putting a small crack on one side of the long one over the kitchen. I glued and sealed that crack and then set out to make a cover for the winter.

I used two 1"x 6" pieces of pine to go on the long sides of the skylight. On those I placed a 1/4" Luan cap that was larger than the skylight (approx 24" x 36"). I beveled the top mounting edges of the pine strips so they flared out at the base when the luan was attached/glued. Then I used 2x2's on the narrow end to pull the longer sides in, creating a slight upwards curve over the skylight. I then just set this down over the skylight and covered things for the winter. Should provide enough strength for our heavy snow winters.

I read many comments on the pros and cons of skylights. On a hot sunny day, they let in almost too much light and really let heat pour into the living space. I have used 12" square foam fillers made for the the typical vent caps, but they do not always stay in. I may consider looking for smoked external lenses, window tinting film or a more robust construction down the road. So while they are nice, they are not "cool".
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote