Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Jayco Slide Rubber Seal Problem

I have a 2012 25' Jayco TT and am having problems with the slide wiper rubber and the 3" wide white tape. When the slide is opened and closed the rubber on the wiper is catching on the leading edge of the tape and causing it to roll up exposing the sticky adhesive. Now it has gotten so bad that the adhesive has started to pull the rubber seal loose from the wall when opening the slide. Of course, it is barely off warranty and am having a problem getting any answers from Jayco. Ideas, thoughts, or suggestions on my plight would be greatly appreciated. I can have the tape and seal replaced at my expense but figuring out the root cause of the problem must be dealt with first. I am wondering if the slide itself might be slightly out of adjustment causing some of the issues mention.
dakotakid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Could you send us a picture? It might help us understand.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Is the white tape over a molding on the roof of the slide, where the outside wall of the slide attaches to the roof?

Jayco had to re-do that white tape on my trailer as it was wrinkling, with many gaps in adhesion. They replaced the old tape, and caulked the leading edge of the tape - forming a small ramp of caulk - just so the rubber seal would not catch on the edge.

Has your white tape seal been replaced by someone? If so, did they use Eternabond or another tape? Did they caulk the leading edge of the tape?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Thank you for responding to my question about the rubber wiper on my slide. Yes, it is the white tape that is on the top of the slide on the outer edge that is peeling back. It has never been changed since new. When I initially bought the trailer new it was showing some adhesion problems and it was on my punch list of things that needed to be corrected amongst quite a list of other things....but that is for another day. Your suggestion of using some type of caulking on the leading edge seam seems a possibility, but I am wondering just how long one might expect it continue holding and last. I have three photos of my problem that I recently took and will attempt to put them on this site. You will have to forgive for being very slow with this as I just today signed on. So I am definitely a newbie and not real computer literate.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

The pictures would definitely be illustrative, but it sounds as if at least a section of the tape should be replaced; if the adhesive has already failed, an edge of caulk would probably not help. Essentially all of my tape failed; is your problem in just one area, or really does all of the tape need to be replaced? Is that something you might want to do yourself, or would you likely want a repair facility do it?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #6

As I previously mentioned, I am new to this forum and am struggling to find how to attach photos.

The entire length of white tape on the top of the slide would need to be replaced. The surface would need to be cleaned and the leftover adhesive properly removed before installing the new one. My rubber wiper seal is probably shot also and will need to be replaced. We were recently traveling when we first noticed that the seal was coming loose around the opening. We stopped at a Camping World and they tried to use a 3M vinyl and trim glue to re-attach the rubber wiper. It did not hold and continues to be a problem each time the slide is opened and closed. I will keep looking at this site and see if I can figure out how to attach the three photos that I have of the problem. I appreciate everyone's patience with me on this.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid91 View Post
As I previously mentioned, I am new to this forum and am struggling to find how to attach photos.
To attach photos select the button labeled "Go Advanced." You will see many options including a <paperclip> which you select to attach images.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	15351

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	15352

Name:	rv3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	15353
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As RVhiker mentioned, Jayco had some issues around 2012 with some of the slide sealer tape and I know that Jayco dealers were replacing it under warranty at the time. Since your just outside your warranty, I would still see if your Jayco dealer will do the replacement under warranty, it's apparent that the problem has been going on for awhile.

Your correct that the entire length needs to be replaced because I'm sure that the slide trim edge is starting to show as well as the screw heads.

I replaced my original sealer tape a couple years ago with Eternabond sealer tape because some of the screw heads were starting to come through the original tape.

My slide sealer tape R&R: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...project&page=3

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #10

Bob, thanks for the reply and the picture of your finished product etc. I had not heard of Eternabond before but Googled it to find out more about it. Last Thursday I sent a lengthy email with the pictures to the Jayco service writer at the dealership I had been dealing with about previous issues we had with the TT after purchase. I have not heard a word back from him. On Monday I will either call over there, or drive over and try to speak to someone in person about this issue. It really does not look all that difficult to remove, clean and replace that tape with the product that you mentioned. What do you suggest a person use to clean and remove that sticky adhesive prior to putting something new down? I will continue to let everyone on this forum know my progress, or lack there of in dealing with Jayco about this issue. Obviously, I am not a happy camper right now with the situation that I've gotten myself into with this trailer. I should have followed my gut instinct when I first noted a problem with this tape early on and INSISTED at the time that they deal with it on a more permanent basis.

I still have to address the issue with the rubber wiper seal catching on the leading edge of whatever material is used on the seam when opening and closing the slide.....and get the seal itself replaced and try starting the whole process over. Hopefully with better results the second time around. If I can't get any satisfaction at the dealership level where do I go with Jayco to take things on up the ladder?

Steve
Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Steve,

Refer to the 'link' I provided in my prior post and it will describe the process I used to R&R the sealer tape.

We have to keep in mind that even though it's just outside the warranty window, Jayco isn't obligated to repair under warranty...., but it's worth a try. If the dealer is unwilling to file a warranty service claim, you then can contact Jayco Customer Service directly. I would send the pics via e-mail to Jayco, then contact them the following day. I wouldn't take a hard stand with Jayco right out of the gate, be open to something like splitting the cost of the repair.

But like you said; "I should have followed my gut instinct when I first noted a problem with this tape early on".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #12

One thing for sure from my standpoint, Jayco is very easy to work with so far on warranty issues. I did not even bother going to the dealer when I was locked out of my unit with the Bauer Keyless entry. I sent emails to both Bauer and Jayco outlining my problem of getting locked in my unit. They both responded very quickly, even both sending me new keyless entry door lock sets immediately. Now I even have an extra one in the box! It would not hurt to send an email with pictures to Jayco letting them know the dealer had earlier tried a patch under warranty but that it is not working. See what response you get.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #13

I finally called the Jayco dealership at Camping World this morning after waiting for two days for the service guy previously dealt with to answer my email. Of course, he no longer works for them. Grrrrr....I explained my tale of woe to a new service guy and he said that I'd have to bring it in and let them look at it. He could make no promises that Jayco would be able to stand behind any of this but that they would check. The soonest they could squeeze the trailer in was October 13th. I was not happy about that either but will just have to bide my time and hope something good can come out of all of this. I will try and keep the forum posted on what transpires down the road.

Steve
Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #14

As I mentioned earlier, I did contact the Camping World where we bought the trailer about this problem and have an appointment on October 13th to take it in. I went to the Jayco website later and decided to send them a message relaying all of the issues that I'm having with this problem. A few days later I actually heard back from them and asked me to go ahead and keep the C/W appointment on the 13th and "have the dealer request a goodwill authorization and I will cover this one time as goodwill." I was elated to get the reply quickly and with some hope for coverage from them. Now to be able to convince C/W to bring this trailer back to new and usable condition as it should have been from the factory. I plan on attempting to make contact with their service manager before taking the trailer in and explaining my situation to him. I will keep the forum posted what transpires down the road.

Steve
Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #15

I have found Jayco to be most responsive to issues brought to them. With all the Jayco units on the road and all the emails and phone calls going to their customer service folks, I find that in itself to be extraordinary. All manufactures have issues as is evidenced by other forums on the internet. You can go to any Rv owner's forums and find the same issues across the board. The fact that Jayco warrants their units for two years from date of purchase stands out from all the rest. I am on my 4th Jayco unit since 2001 and my experience has been outstanding. I have not been without problems, but they have all been resolved satisfactorily.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #16

Just a follow-up to my previous posts concerning the 3" wide slide tape and the rubber wiper seal on my tt. I took my trailer back to Camping World last Monday as scheduled by them. I took the service advisor out to the trailer and with my own supplied ladder, had him crawl up and take a look at the top of the slide. He agreed with me that the tape and rubber wiper would need to be replaced. I got a call from him a few days later telling me that the trailer was no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay for the repairs myself. I quickly reminded him that I had previously told him that I had been in contact with Jayco customer service and they were going to authorize a "one time goodwill repair of the problem." He relented and two days later he called back confirming that Jayco had said that they would in fact provide repair. He told me that parts would have to be ordered and that I would hear back from them when it was finished. I explicitly told him that when I came to pick the tt up I intended to open and close the slide 10-12 times( or until the batteries are dead) to ensure that the repair would hold and was done properly. If I am not satisfied with the job I will refuse to take it off the lot and will document with more photos etc. and re-contact Jayco customer service. He told me that the C/W would warrant their repair for up to one year. I will keep this forum posted as to what transpires when I get the call from them for pickup.

Steve
PS I spoke with them about using Eternabond instead of the tape and was informed that the tape was the better way to go. We will see!!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
Jim

Steve... Jayco has a customer service facility at their factory in Middlebury, In. If you cannot get satisfaction at the dealer you can make an appointment with Jayco to bring your rig directly to them.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #18

An update on my Jayco trailer with the white tape and rubber wiper seal problem. I got a call from Camping World yesterday telling me that my trailer was ready for pickup. I drove over and spoke with the service advisor about what was all done. He said that they did have to replace the tape and the rubber wiper seal. The tech used a heat gun and his hand to firmly press down the leading edge of the tape. I asked about why he didn't use some type of roller on the edge and was assured that it wasn't necessary. He told me that he's had to make this repair numerous times and has never had one come back. We will see. I will be extra vigilant from here on out with the in and out movement of the slide. I sent an email to Jayco thanking them for their help in getting this situation resolved to my satisfaction. We have put the trailer away until spring now and I will be anxious to see how things work with it going forward. Thanks to everyone here for their advice and comments. They were all helpful and much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #19

Did you take your TT to the Camping World in Kingston that use to be Campers Barn?

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #20
Jim

I have my Jayco TT at Camping World for the same issue on the slide. Camping World is waiting to receive a replacement swivel rocker and then will address the tape on the slide. Hope to have a similar good experience as you. Again, so far Jayco is living up to its warranty by replacing the defective chair and am sure the slide will be repaired to my satisfaction. I also am having them install the Equal-i-zer hitch system. Then it goes into winter storage.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote