Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Jayco Solar Ready Connector/Controller

I have a 23MRB with a "solar plug" (SAE) built in. I purchased a 100 watt panel with a Controller (Renology).

The controller panel with the optional SAE connector plugs directly into the trailer. This means that the Controller, rather than being in series between the solar panel and the battery, will be connected directly to the battery.

Will the Controller still control the voltage input from the solar panel even though it is connected separately.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

I don't think it will work that way. If your are prewired for solar, the controller needs to be installed in the wall inside your RV. The wires In The wall are all capped off ready to hook up to the controller, having a panel plugged into the prewired plugs on the roof or near the ground don't go to the battery, they go to where the controller should be installed. There are normally two connections for your panels, on the roof and near the ground. Mine is in the pass through storage area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Thanks, after reading your reply I called Jayco direct. In the 2017 Whitehawk the solar plug is wired directly into the battery. Their position is that you must use a suitcase type set up where solar panel connects to controller which then connects to the Jayco plug.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

That makes total sense, the controller must be installed somewhere between the panels and the batteries to avoid overcharging the batteries. Glad you got it figured out!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #5

Have you had a chance to use your new solar panel yet? If so, how well does it work? If you haven't, could you come back to this thread and report how well it works? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Thanks, after reading your reply I called Jayco direct. In the 2017 Whitehawk the solar plug is wired directly into the battery. Their position is that you must use a suitcase type set up where solar panel connects to controller which then connects to the Jayco plug.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Hope you got everything wired in properly! Let us know how the SOLAR is doing. Do you have a Digital Voltage Display to keep tract of the SOLAR/BATTERIES? Not sure if you have visited or joined our RVing with SOLAR social group, there is a lot of GREAT information there regarding SOLAR , batteries, installations. Stop by and join! The link is below.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Have you had a chance to use your new solar panel yet? If so, how well does it work? If you haven't, could you come back to this thread and report how well it works? Thanks.
I have a 120 watt Go Power folding suitcase solar panel, It has a 10 amp digital controller built in. In full sun, it will put out 6.7 amps and is more than adequate for our needs and keep the battery topped up. Still have my inverter generator for back up on those less than ideal days where solar isn't effective.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Hi,
We took the solar panel out on our last trip. We ran the battery down to "2/3" and then hooked up the panel. Within 10 minutes it had the battery back to full. This panel is 100 watts. We purchased it as we were using a 43 Watt panel that would "sustain" a charge but it would not actually increase the charge. Now we can run everything except our air-conditioner and microwave.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

Does anyone know what the battery level lights in the camper refer to in terms of voltage of the battery? I'm assuming that 1/2 is not less than 10.1v for instance.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #10

I'll be trying new Thunderbolt 100w panels with controller (unknown voltage) for our Hummingbird this spring. First time to try solar. Any tips on how to understand "BULK - ABSORPTION - FLOAT charging?" Initially I assumed I could just plug the panels in and trickle as needed, but... what's this other stuff???
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #11

Hi,
You cannot plug the panels into anything but the controller first, since it is not built in to your unit. The controller will assure that the batteries are not overcharged. Make sure you follow the directions on your unit as to what gets hooked up first. On mine, I have to hook the controller to the battery before I hook up my solar panel.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

I would really like to configure this set-up somehow: solar panels plug into a-frame plug, run that into controlled which is mounted inside the TT, then run line to batteries. Anyone tried this? Ideas for solar panels to controlled mounted inside, then to the battery?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighmaster View Post
I would really like to configure this set-up somehow: solar panels plug into a-frame plug, run that into controlled which is mounted inside the TT, then run line to batteries. Anyone tried this? Ideas for solar panels to controlled mounted inside, then to the battery?
That is the way most permanent setups work.

SOLAR panels connect to either the roof/side connectors, the SOLAR roof/side pre-wired connector cables run to the battery area and you connect them to your SOLAR Charge Controller that you mount as close (inside) to the batteries as you can and finally the SOLAR Charge Controller cables (output) are connected to the batteries.

All you need to do then is plug in the SOLAR panels into the roof/side connectors.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #14

I just got a new x213 with the a-frame Jack and got a renogy 200w system. The thing I noticed was the placard for the Jack is rated 20A and the wanderer controller that came with my panels is a 30A controller! I considered getting a 20A controller, but I'll probably just run cables from controller to the battery. I'm going to mount the controller to the A-frame in a box like a friend of mine did. I'll post pics whe I get around to doing that!
mrkarl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #15

Would love to see the photo. Sounds good. No desire to mount controller inside the TT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #16

I just bought this system from HF as well. How did it work for you? Instructions are horrible! Did you get it all figured out?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #17

Solar almost in

I just have to hook up the battery (ran out of time today), but ran the wires down the right side (pax side) of the front of the camper and have the charge controller in an ammo box on top of the battery box. (no, the panels are not plugged into the controller yet!) I'll have pics up soon (at work now, and will be a couple days until I can get back to the camper to finish). Another thought was a Pelican box somehow u-bolted (or similar) to the side of the A-frame, not too keen on drilling holes into the frame! Don't know if they make a u-bolt the size I would need, so contemplating a couple steel plates with bolts on top and bottom. We'll see how the first set up works though!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #18

All exterior solar set up!

I got my solar all installed and it works great! I put the 2 panels on the right front (about the only place they can sit next to each other). The outer mounting holes lined up beautifully with the trusses, and the inner holes for the clamps, I used well nuts as they recommend on the Renogy website, they worked great! I ran the cables down the side of the front and put them in command strip clamps. I used a $4 ammo can from HF (dry box can) and put 3 velcro type command strips in it, and of course, strips on the charge controller as well. I mounted the ammo can on top of the battery box. to do that, I just drilled 3 holes in the ammo can that are on the outer perimeter of the battery box, and had some spare bolts and nuts. I used the vinyl washers that i didn't use on the solar panels, in between the ammo can and battery box. Drilled my holes for the cables going in and out of the charge controller, and everything is working great! I have no trouble getting the battery box top off, or the propane cover off. I did drill a new battery vent area since the ammo can covered it, don't know if it was necessary, but additional places for the battery gasses to go isn't a bad thing I guess! I haven't trimmed the cables yet either, but I'm not worried about that, this system charged my battery on a completely cloudy/rainy day in about 2 hours! I was happy!
Attached Thumbnails
solar1.jpg   solar2.jpg   solar3.jpg   solar4.jpg   solar5.jpg  

Old 03-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #19

Well, dang! Jayco put my pictures sideways!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #20

mrkarl4, that looks like a nice set up for those who don't want to drill holes in their TT while it is still under warranty.

Do you have any concerns about heat build up in the ammo box around the controller if it is on all the time, especially in the summer when the outside temp is around 90??
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar controller