Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL air conditioning issue

We've had our White hawk for a month now. Our first day out camping it was 95 degrees and the Air conditioner would not cool the camper below 80 degrees. Same thing happend when I brought the trailer home and ran the AC all day. Anyone else having problems with their AC? We brought it back to the dealer to fix that and a few other problems and they said the AC is working fine.
dowoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #2

I was under the impression that the A/C unit's capabilities was only 20* less than the outside temperature, maybe a little less if it's sitting in the hot sun.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Was told the same thing.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

dowoodward, first of all, welcome to Jayco Owners Forum. We invite you to go over to the New Members Forum and tell us a little about yourself. To your question, I do know that the a/c's will not turn your RV into a meat locker if it is really hot outside but if you get the interior cooled down early enough, they will do a pretty good job of keeping you cool, even on the hottest days. I learned this summer in the 100 degree Texas sun to turn the a/c on before it started getting uncomfortable, usually around 10am and let it start cooling the walls, furniture, etc. Cranking it up in mid-afternoon just doesn't give it enough time to cool things down. Also, a couple small box fans to circulate the air really makes a difference as well. Good luck.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
I was under the impression that the A/C unit's capabilities was only 20* less than the outside temperature, maybe a little less if it's sitting in the hot sun.
Maximum of 15 to 20 degree reduction, per Coleman A/C. Humidity will have a major impact on the ability to cool. Dowoodward, your A/C is operating correctly.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #6

dowoodward...Do you have a 13,000 or 15,000 BTU AC? would like to know as we are getting ready to order a White Hawk 30 DSRE with a 15000. Just curious to see what we might need to do, we are located in South Carolina.

Gary
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoodward View Post
...the Air conditioner would not cool the camper below 80 degrees...
We recently returned from a trip to the Mexico coast on the Gulf of California where the daytime temperatures peaked at 100 degrees with 90 per cent humidity. Our 27DSRL is equipped with the 15K BTU AC unit and it was definitely working to keep the interior comfortable. We kept the thermostat at 75 degrees. We covered the windows to keep out as much light as possible and also used an oscillating fan (image below) which helped a lot. The AC cycled normally until noon and then ran almost contuniously until 4 pm. Overall we were pleased with how well the AC performed under very demanding conditions.

IMG_0171 by mrnoyb, on Flickr
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Looks like I need an upgrade since I have the 13K AC unit. We live in southern Oregon where the temps reach 90 - 100 in the summer, humidity is 30% or less. I'm not asking for a meat cooler just want a comfortable temp on hot days. After our first camping trip I tested the AC unit at our house on a known good 30 amp circuit, the same one I used for our old 25 foot trailer which worked great. The trailer does sit out in the sun, but I had all the shades pulled down and no one was going in and out of the trailer. I started the unit at noon when the temp was 85, checked an hour later and the inside temp was 84. Checked again at 4:00 and the inside temp was 80. The outside temp got up to 95 that day. I let the AC run until 6:30pm and the inside temp never got below 80. So in appears that I have the northern Minnesota or Seattle AC unit installed in my trailer.
dowoodward is offline   Reply With Quote