Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Jayflight 174 Baja

Just bought my 174 baja this week. Excellent layout. Tows easily. Love to hear what others think of this trailer
Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

We brought ours home a month ago. Had maiden voyage a couple weeks ago. We have two small children and love the layout, except for the size of the dining table. So we tried to eat outside as much as possible. My only issue so far is that because of the lift it is tough to level on sloping sites. We had the front stabilizers fully extended and that made it not as stable as could be. Make sure you get some blocks like a 1' section of 4x8. You're going to need them.

We dry camp a lot so I'm trying to do a double battery set up. The battery location can only accommodate two group 24 batteries. I happen to get a 27 with the trailer and now I have to get two 24s to do this. otherwise im looking at a tongue box so we'll see.

Otherwise we love it so far.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Baja 175

Hey thanks. I did make some 8 inch blocks for the four corner jacks. Also blocks for under the jack. I knew the table was narrow but eat most medals outside. I have dual 6 volt batteries up front and a 160 watt solar panel on the roof. I am going to make a medicine cabinet and install a second propane tank. It sure tows easy, however I have a 1 tonne diesel. Let's keep each other posted.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

I bet it tows easy with a 1 tonne. MY xterra handles it pretty well I bet yours doesn't even feel like it's there. I'll keep you up to date if I find anything else.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

So we took the trailer out last weekend and ran into a couple of issues. We had water leaking out from under the bunks where the hot water heater and pump is. Also, some of the paneling in the shower is separating. We had never used the shower until this weekend. It's going into the dealer this week for repairs.

I have done some mods so far. I added a second 12 volt. The meter didn't even drop over 4 days. I added a second LP tank, which in retrospect isn't that necessary since we don't cook much inside and don't use very much of it. I also added a wireless backup camera which makes backing up easier. I have plans for a solar panel but with the short amount of time we camp the dual batteries seem to do fine.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

I went through with the dealer to tighten up all the connections so no leaky water. Even a fair bit of rain the last while and everything is dry. Shower has no issues but it does look flimsy and I could see seperation happening. I will probably fix that myself if it happens as I would make it more secure than a dealer. How did you mount the second propane tank? Interested in that as I would like two 30lb tanks just for backup if needed for the furnace. I cook outside as well.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

I used this to mount the second tank: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have yet to add a changeover regulator, but I plan to in the future. There's a whole issue of moving the regulator or adding longer pigtails. I thought I was buying the 30 lb one but I got confused and removed the wrong one from my cart before placing the order. I have plenty of 20lb tanks so no worries there. When I do decide to change to 30lb tanks I only have to replace the center rod on it.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

I've had a 2017 174bh Baja for a couple weeks now. I'm pulling it with a 2001 Sequoia and it does well. The clearance is everything I wanted!

No problems to speak of. Let's hope it holds up. Not too much to these trailers.
Talltacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

I tow my 174BH Baja with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler on 35 inch tires. It tows okay but not as good as my last trailer... I think It's mainly because the Baja sits higher (more surface area for wind resistance) and weights just a tad bit more (250 lbs.) I got 14 MPG in my Travel Lite idea i17 at 3,500 lbs whereas the Baja gets 11-12 MPG. Hills are a bit tougher but that's all TV problems...

The trailer itself is spectacular! Our first trip to the local beach was good. Everything worked as it's supposed to, family of 4 was fairly comfortable (other than the queen bed and having severe back issues.) We bought a mattress topper from Walmart and when we go on our big trip in August, we will test it out... We spent 10 minutes on the mattress with a topper and it was a definite improvement but haven't spent a full night on it...

We have put bed lift supports, a TV and a couple other small things... Next is going to be putting a Fantastic fan in the bathroom...

Having been in about 8 trailers and RV's in my lifetime, I'd say the 174BH is an 8.5 out of 10 in regards to an overall rating...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

On our last trip I got 12.8 mpg in my Xterra. I was pleasantly surprised because I was expecting something in the 10mpg range. It's good to know that the 174bh ranks so high for you having owned several trailers. It's my first besides a pop-up and we're pretty happy.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #11

Has anyone walked on the roof yet? I watched a YouTube video and the guy suggested inspecting the roof to find any areas that were looked over during the build process.
Talltacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Yep, mine is very sturdy...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #13

Funny I just watched the video about the roof construction on Jaco's website recently. I want to mount a ladder and eventually mount some solar panels.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

Hey partner I had a 184BH Baja the previous year layout, and we loved the heck out of it, the problem was the family just out grew it so we traded it in for a 22BHM. other than that hell of a trailer.
rogerdl05 is offline   Reply With Quote