Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Jayflight SLX

Ok, so right now I have a 37' open range Roamer which is a fine camper, but I can't really manuver it into all the places I'd like to go.
I was searching on Jayco's website and came across the 212QBW. My local dealer has one and the DW and I checked it out. What an awesome little camper! Gray tank of 39 gallons? Why that's bigger than the 35' Eagle I traded away. No slide, but I'm thinking cheaper to buy (under 15K) and less chance for leaks. We would still keep the Open Range, but the 212QBW would be our state park and Blue Ridge Parkway camper.
Anyone have this model or another SLX model? This is a new model for 2016 I believe and it is 96" inches wide. I asked the salesman what the W was for in the model name and he said Window. My research shows that it probably means Wide, but what do I know?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #2

Here is the link. The main thing we liked was the window at the back and sides, so when backing into your lake or riverside campsite, you'll have great views. Most smaller campers put the bathroom at the back.

2016 Jay Flight SLX 212 QBW | Jayco, Inc.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #3

If you scroll down you will find a post from me asking about the SLX line. That is all due to this trailer.

In the mid 90's I had a small eagle 211SL 5th wheel that had this back floor plan and we loved it. Lots of light, small trailer etc. Every day I check craigslist wanting to find this trailer again.

Jayco had the 19RD which is this floorplan but the bed rotated. Being the bed is rotated we crossed it off the list.

The 212QBW is now at the top of my list. I just wish it wasn't an SLX. The more I compare it to the Jay Flight and Jay Flight Elite the more I see it's stripped down.

For example the cushions are available in only 1 color. Reminds me of the model A. Can get any color as long as it's black. In this case brown.

Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't stock it. They only stock very small or very large trailers. Another dealer is getting one in December so we will go look at it then.

What I like about this floor plan is lots of windows and the wardrobe doesn't go from floor to ceiling so it's like I'm sleeping with a 1/3 of my body enclosed.

We are probably 90% sold on this trailer even with it being stripped down. I guess I can keep looking or get the floor plan we like and skimp on some options.
bnk190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #4

I was pretty impressed with the build quality of the cabinets and such. But the only options I see listed are 15K AC and bedspread. I was actually surprised that the AC is ducted. I kind of like the fact that the under belly is open, that way I can get to stuff easier and make sure the brake wiring and tanks are installed properly.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Duplicate
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #6

I believe the roof, walls, floors and cabinets are all made the same as the standard Jay Flight.

When I say stripped down here is what I mean.

20 lb LP vs 30 Lp
No LP tank cover
No electric tongue jack
No black tank flush
Like you said the only option is the 15k air and the bedspread
No back ladder
No roof vents
The kitchen window above the sink doesn't open
The window blinds aren't the day night.
There are no doors on the dinette ends to access what's under the dinette seats.
The cabinets aren't raised panel but that's ok with me.
No Mor Ryde suspension.
No Glacier package

That's all off the top of my head. From what I hear the SLX is still a quality line and has many happy people that own that product line.

Granted some of these items can be added like the tongue jack, LP covers etc but when you start to add up the cost you are the same price as the Elite 23RB we were looking at. Oh speaking of which no aluminum rims.

My heart burn is really the roof vents and the opening of the window above the sink. I guess the rear ladder rack as well.

Oh and probably my biggest miss is no extra large gutters to move the water from the roof away from the side of the RV. Give me these last hand full of items and I would be set.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

If you purchased all the extra stuff separate it would probably be under $1000.
Installing some of it would be hard for most people, but some of it wouldn't be very hard to add yourself.

The first four, the kitchen window, and gutter extensions would be easy to install and cost around $450 to purchase and ship.
The dinette has access under the cushion so you don't miss out on any storage.

True the elite has some nice features I wish I had on my SLX. I weighed the cost of the elite @$32,060 (msrp) to what I payed for my SLX @ $17,500 and I'm very happy with the SLX.

Good luck, both are great trailers.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #8

I didn't realize the kitchen window didn't open. I will have to check on that. I was wondering how much the dealer would charge to put a roof vent with a fan over the bed. Or would they muff it up and I wouldn't like it.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #9

Jhowemca - You are correct a few items could be added. My problem is the Elite 23 RB vs the SLX line for me is only about a $1500 difference. Clearly my dealer is playing games and stated that they are tired of the amount of time they are spending with me looking and asking questions vs buying. It has been a long process but we want to make sure we get a trailer we want and like.

If I had a 15k difference like you are showing then you are right I wouldn't care if I had to put another $2k into it even to get some of those options.

The tongue jack, black tank flush and LP covers I can do on my own. I was going to have the dealer do it but when they started playing their pricing games when we order they will find they now have lost the extra parts and labor to install them income.

I have e-mailed Jayco about seeing what it takes to install the downspouts. I thought that was something built in like a gutter system etc and couldn't be easily added.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk190 View Post
Jhowemca - . Clearly my dealer is playing games and stated that they are tired of the amount of time they are spending with me looking and asking questions vs buying. It has been a long process but we want to make sure we get a trailer we want and like.

Time to find another dealer, IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

You could be right Crabman. On the other hand I've heard that using up the dealers time can help get a good deal though.

Let's say the dealer has 8 hours tied up with you on a deal and you don't buy, they have worked 8 hours unpaid! The dealer doesn't like that. They want to invest as little time as possable on each deal to free them up to make the next deal.
Forcing them to have a vested interest in selling you a trailer could get you the best price.
You waste so much of the dealers time they have to sell you a trailer!

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #12

Dealer games? No fun at all!!! They sound like they have to follow you around and have to unlock each camper and sit inside with you while you look at it.
I have seen the 212QBW for $13,500 online. Tell them to match that!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
You could be right Crabman. On the other hand I've heard that using up the dealers time can help get a good deal though.

Let's say the dealer has 8 hours tied up with you on a deal and you don't buy, they have worked 8 hours unpaid! The dealer doesn't like that. They want to invest as little time as possable on each deal to free them up to make the next deal.
Forcing them to have a vested interest in selling you a trailer could get you the best price.
You waste so much of the dealers time they have to sell you a trailer!

Good luck!
I suppose so, I have never actually encountered that particular situation, but just something about him telling me he is tired of me asking questions would not sit well with Crabman. But then I have never been fond of shopping for big ticket items anyways under ideal conditions
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

If it's only a $1500 difference I'd go for the elite.

You get the opening window over the sink, not only that, the windows are insulated double pane throughout.

You may get an outdoor shower, outdoor speakers, a second outdoor power outlet.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #15

Not sure if it's still the case but I recall SLX front storage only had access door on one side. That not being a pass-thru would be an issue for me.

We have not shopped in a while but when we did the difference between Swift/SLX and JayFlight with Elite package was always less than $2500. On our first purchase the JayFlight Swift 264BH (now called SLX) and the JayFlight 26BH with Elite Package was $1500 -- for $1500 I wanted the extras. Wheels and power events alone were worth that to me alone.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
If it's only a $1500 difference I'd go for the elite.

You get the opening window over the sink, not only that, the windows are insulated double pane throughout.

You may get an outdoor shower, outdoor speakers, a second outdoor power outlet.

The Elite is only available in the Jay Flight line. This is the SLX line so there is no option for the Elite package. Since this floor plan isn't available in the standard Jay Flight line that's not an option. To get elite package means we go with the 23rb.

The only 2 options this trailer has is the larger 15k air and a bed spread. That's all.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Jhowemca - You are correct a few items could be added. My problem is the Elite 23 RB vs the SLX line for me is only about a $1500 difference. Clearly my dealer is playing games and stated that they are tired of the amount of time they are spending with me looking and asking questions vs buying. It has been a long process but we want to make sure we get a trailer we want and like.

If I had a 15k difference like you are showing then you are right I wouldn't care if I had to put another $2k into it even to get some of those options.

The tongue jack, black tank flush and LP covers I can do on my own. I was going to have the dealer do it but when they started playing their pricing games when we order they will find they now have lost the extra parts and labor to install them income.

I have e-mailed Jayco about seeing what it takes to install the downspouts. I thought that was something built in like a gutter system etc and couldn't be easily added.
Time for a new dealer. Will NEVER put up with a dealer being jerks again.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #18

212qbw

bmet2000, I'm wondering if you went with the 212QBW? After seeing your original post, the wife and I went to look at one, and ended up trading in our 184BH for this one. We haven't been able to camp in it yet, but really love the layout, and the things we really wanted that we didn't have: much larger tanks, full-time bed, bigger fridge.
jkorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
I believe the roof, walls, floors and cabinets are all made the same as the standard Jay Flight.

When I say stripped down here is what I mean.

20 lb LP vs 30 Lp
No LP tank cover
No electric tongue jack
No black tank flush
Like you said the only option is the 15k air and the bedspread
No back ladder
No roof vents
The kitchen window above the sink doesn't open
The window blinds aren't the day night.
There are no doors on the dinette ends to access what's under the dinette seats.
The cabinets aren't raised panel but that's ok with me.
No Mor Ryde suspension.
No Glacier package

That's all off the top of my head. From what I hear the SLX is still a quality line and has many happy people that own that product line.

Granted some of these items can be added like the tongue jack, LP covers etc but when you start to add up the cost you are the same price as the Elite 23RB we were looking at. Oh speaking of which no aluminum rims.

My heart burn is really the roof vents and the opening of the window above the sink. I guess the rear ladder rack as well.

Oh and probably my biggest miss is no extra large gutters to move the water from the roof away from the side of the RV. Give me these last hand full of items and I would be set.
My biggest regrets of purchasing an SLX model is...

1. Gas only water heater. I miss the electric / gas water heater on my last camper. I use considerably more propane now than I used to between my wife two kids and I. Used to be "free" hot water with the electric heat.

2. No thermostat control for the AC unit. You cannot set the wall thermostat to 70 degrees and have it come on and off on it's own. It is either on or off.

*Edit just realized this was a bumped thread from last year.
2006 Forest River Salem Hybrid *sold*
thebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorman View Post
bmet2000, I'm wondering if you went with the 212QBW? After seeing your original post, the wife and I went to look at one, and ended up trading in our 184BH for this one. We haven't been able to camp in it yet, but really love the layout, and the things we really wanted that we didn't have: much larger tanks, full-time bed, bigger fridge.
Glad I was able to help! We still have our 37'(plus 3 inches...) Open Range Roamer travel trailer. I was looking at the 212 for a supplement camper for smaller State Park and other off the beaten trail camping. We actually sat in one over the weekend at the Raleigh RV show. We both still like it but not sure about the financial part of having two campers. The CFO hasn't given it a green light yet but it is still being negotiated.