Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Just bought a 26BH - Now what?

Just purchased a 2015 26BH today, don't get to pick it up till next week though.

We have some experience with a small popup, but nothing like this. What are the must know, immediate things to check or deal with before heading out with this unit?

What accessories should I buy right off the bat? I'm thinking a ladder for the top rear bunk as one of my kids will be sleeping there.

Also, has anyone installed a rear view camera on a 26BH?

Part of the deal is a discounted hitch, but I don't know any of the details on that yet. Will tomorrow, any suggestions there? I'm happy to pay extra $$ for something that may provide a real difference.
jason26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Top ten must haves and so much more thread;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ting-5081.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Do you have a brake controller for your tow vehicle? Gotta have that.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Do you have a brake controller for your tow vehicle? Gotta have that.
Yep, have a factory brake controller.

2016 Ford F-150, tow package, LT tires.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

I just got my 26BH a few weeks ago. I used this list and got them all.
I also got a water filter for the fresh water hose, and am ordering X-Chock Wheel stabilizers next week. Bring a portable drill with lug adapter to lower and raise your built in stabilizer jacks.

Sewer hose and fittings
Fresh water hose
Water pressure regulator
Wheel chocks
Weight distributing hitch with sway control
Tow mirrors
A decent brake controller
Wheel leveling blocks
30 amp to 15 amp adapter for home hookup
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburger View Post
I just got my 26BH a few weeks ago. I used this list and got them all.
I also got a water filter for the fresh water hose, and am ordering X-Chock Wheel stabilizers next week. Bring a portable drill with lug adapter to lower and raise your built in stabilizer jacks.

Sewer hose and fittings
Fresh water hose
Water pressure regulator
Wheel chocks
Weight distributing hitch with sway control
Tow mirrors
A decent brake controller
Wheel leveling blocks
30 amp to 15 amp adapter for home hookup
What are the X-Chock wheel stabilizers for? An alternative to wheel chocks? Or something else.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

Congrats! The waiting and planning is the hardest part. I used the thread posted above to do my list. YouTube was my friend, lots of videos there with this topic and you can tell what's truly important when multiple people have items on their lists.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason26 View Post
What are the X-Chock wheel stabilizers for? An alternative to wheel chocks? Or something else.

Thanks.
They go between the two tires to reduce rocking of the trailer.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #9

Welcome aboard and congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

Welcome and congrats!!!

Quote:
What are the X-Chock wheel stabilizers for? An alternative to wheel chocks? Or something else. Thanks.
As Crabman posted, they help to stabilize the tires from moving when set up.

BUT.... The X-chocks DO NOT take the place of regular wheel chocks. The wheel chocks should be set before unhooking the tv, then once the tt is leveled front to rear, then the X-chocks can be installed. The X-chocks will not secure a tt from possibly rolling away. Installation instructions state they can be damaged if installed while raising or lowering the trailer tongue.

A wdh with integrated sway control is preferred. Definitely worth the upgrade in price. Just make sure the dealer doesn't try to overprice the system. Look online for available prices at places like E-Trailer.com. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are very good for the money. Only the Hensley and ProPride are better (and a lot more money!!!). The Blue Ox seems to have a growing following. Just not sure I am "sold" on the idea behind the way the BO controls sway.

Make sure you get the proper rated wd bars for your tt once it is loaded up and ready for a trip. Some dealers will only include bars that are barely rated for more than the "brochure" dry tw (tongue weight). That weight doesn't even include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue. That adds ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, or ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery.

The list posted is a good start. Just don't go overboard and pack stuff that never gets used. It is suggested to go through the tt once a year and remove anything not used the previous seaon.

Also suggested to have is the proper tools required to change a tire when/if needed. Run your tires at the max sidewall pressure. And remember to check your spare tire before a trip.

Know that there is a draw (propane leak detector, radio, etc) on the battery while in storage, so unless you keep the trailer plugged in, the battery will die within a few days, maybe a week. I actually installed a Blue Sea mini battery switch into a larger battery box to prevent this. Pics are in my mods link.

Have fun!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #11

Spare fuses
Duct tape (I prefer Gorilla Tape actually)
WD-40
Small set of basic tools (at least)
A pad and pen to write down what you forgot, and what you wish you had.
A small wad of cash.
A credit card.
A positive, can-do attitude. This one will take you the furthest. Not much you can't do with this and the previous items.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Part of the deal is a discounted hitch, but I don't know any of the details on that yet. Will tomorrow, any suggestions there? I'm happy to pay extra $$ for something that may provide a real difference.

Im a big fan of the blue Ox sway pro wdh. It easily adjusted and has worked great for us going on our third season.

Congrats on the trailer by the way.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Spare fuses
Duct tape (I prefer Gorilla Tape actually)
WD-40
Small set of basic tools (at least)
A pad and pen to write down what you forgot, and what you wish you had.
A small wad of cash.
A credit card.
A positive, can-do attitude. This one will take you the furthest. Not much you can't do with this and the previous items.

X2
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #14

Before you leave the lot when picking up your trailer, get a ladder (a sturdy 6' step ladder works for me), climb up and look closely at the roof. Look for any damage of the membrane, and make sure that all the sealant is in good shape and that everything is sealed up well. If anything is questionable, have it fixed BEFORE you drive it away from the dealer.

Check the tires before you take delivery, also. Look closely at the tread area, and both the inner and outer sidewalls for any bulges (bring a flashlight). Jayco uses low quality tires on many of their trailers. If the tires are good, make sure they are aired up to max sidewall pressure. Include the spare tire in your inspection. If even one of the tires were bad, I'd have the entire set of 5 replaced with better tires with a higher load range.

If it were me, I would jack up the wheels one at a time and make sure they spin freely, that they don't wobble on the spindles. I'd pry off the rubber caps on each hub and make sure I see grease. While the wheel is up in the air, have someone actuate the trailer brakes to make sure the brakes grab and hold, on each wheel. If all's well, adjust the brakes, by the book, before leaving the lot.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #15

cause you're gonna need a few of these lol !!! Ya might even find yourself scratching your head saying what the hell did I get myself into......take your time ask a lot of questions.
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
cause you're gonna need a few of these lol !!! Ya might even find yourself scratching your head saying what the hell did I get myself into......take your time ask a lot of questions.
How did I forget beer on my list?! Oh well, I guess that's what the credit card is for!! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Just purchased a 2015 26BH today, don't get to pick it up till next week though.

We have some experience with a small popup, but nothing like this. What are the must know, immediate things to check or deal with before heading out with this unit?

What accessories should I buy right off the bat? I'm thinking a ladder for the top rear bunk as one of my kids will be sleeping there.

Also, has anyone installed a rear view camera on a 26BH?

In the same boat as you. Newbie that just bought a 26BH. Escited for our first camping trip on 5/13
Timmy574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #18

So just go the 26BH home today. It looks a lot bigger than I remembered on purchase day. I guess that had something to do with it being one of the smaller units in the lot.

Anyways, quite happy with the build.. Quality looks good. Neighbour also commented on it looking very solid, yet simple in design which is why we liked this one.

Anyways.. I know the bumper to hitch length is just over 29'... But when someone asks how long, do you normally say bumper to hitch length? Or the length of the 'cabin' part?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #19

I'll say mine's 26', unless it has to do with camp site TT length limit, then I say it's 30' just so I know for sure it'll fit.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
So just go the 26BH home today. It looks a lot bigger than I remembered on purchase day. I guess that had something to do with it being one of the smaller units in the lot.

Anyways, quite happy with the build.. Quality looks good. Neighbour also commented on it looking very solid, yet simple in design which is why we liked this one.

Anyways.. I know the bumper to hitch length is just over 29'... But when someone asks how long, do you normally say bumper to hitch length? Or the length of the 'cabin' part?

Thanks

I had to laugh because I thought the same thing. When the brought it out by my truck I said, no that's not it, the one I got was smaller than that one.
Nope, that was mine lol
Timmy574 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26bh