Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Just finished Insulating my Basement/ Storage

Well, I just finished insulating my basement storage area in the front of my Travel Trailer. It wasn't hard at all. Looks clean and tight.

Does anybody think this will really improve the trailer as far as keeping it warm & cool in the appropraite seasons. Or did I just waste my time..

Oh, I used 1/2 inch foam board insulation.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Great idea! It shound help. Did you use caulk tube adhesive to fasten the foam board? Got any pics? I've been thinking about lining the common surfaces between the TT and basement with Reflectix foil but I like your idea better. There is a gap between the matress and night stand where a draft can be felt in cool weather. Right now I just stuffed some Reflectix in the gap but I would like something more permanent.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

I'm perplexed. I'm told by the factory rep that the Jayco front storage area is insulated just like the rest of the trailer. Even though there are no heat ducts in there, I fail to see where it would get very cold in the storage area.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Team

I kinda did the same thing to try to make the bed/bedroom a little warmer and to give it a finished look. The front storage compartment gets no heat so it seems to make for a colder mattress. I used luan to finish it off and put up hangars. Here`s a link. scroll down the page in the RVnet thread. -Lee

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1492
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

I used liquid nails on the back of the board then simply attached it to the bulkhead or wall side. I measured each panel and on my G2 I had a half inch inset so I chose 1/2 inch insulation board. One step further I bought battery touch LED lights like the type you put under your kitchen cabinets. This is really nice as it lights up the basement for evening hours without using a flashlight etc... Now I can see inside for those late night arrivals and nightime search parties inside it.

Altar if you look closely inside your basement or just tap the wood you will find it's not insulated there. It's just luan or 1/4 inch wood between you and your mattress. In addition, on my G2 for some reason like WISCAMPSIN stated there is a gap between your matress and the basement. I could imagine major heat loss and A/C loss or worse bugs etc... That is another reason I insulated down there...I will try to get pics tommorow fella's...

Not sure why they do this buy on a short list of flaw designs this is one of them. Also not sure why I dont have drawers or they dont open at all the cabinets on either side of the bed on the floors.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #6

I think most of any heat loss would be from the doors on the compartment.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs116 View Post
I used liquid nails on the back of the board then simply attached it to the bulkhead or wall side. I measured each panel and on my G2 I had a half inch inset so I chose 1/2 inch insulation board. One step further I bought battery touch LED lights like the type you put under your kitchen cabinets. This is really nice as it lights up the basement for evening hours without using a flashlight etc... Now I can see inside for those late night arrivals and nightime search parties inside it.

Altar if you look closely inside your basement or just tap the wood you will find it's not insulated there. It's just luan or 1/4 inch wood between you and your mattress. In addition, on my G2 for some reason like WISCAMPSIN stated there is a gap between your matress and the basement. I could imagine major heat loss and A/C loss or worse bugs etc... That is another reason I insulated down there...I will try to get pics tommorow fella's...

Not sure why they do this buy on a short list of flaw designs this is one of them. Also not sure why I dont have drawers or they dont open at all the cabinets on either side of the bed on the floors.
I understand that there is no insulation between the bed and the compartment. BUT, they insist that the outside walls ARE insulated, just like the rest of the triailer. I will find out shortly, as we are supposed to take delivery this weekend.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #8

Outside walls are Insulated

I insulated the interior wall running across the bottom of the trailer in the storage compartment and the ceiling of the basement, Air hot or cold will get in and depending on your layout this could mean, like mine my bedroom may loose heat or loose A/C. It was nothing major cost 20 bucks to do and was a simple project that was more an Ego Boost than anything.

Let's Say it was a WHY NOT type of job....
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

Fixed the gaps between the mattress and the nitestands. Noticed last time out it we didn't get the cold air coming from the basement. I know we don't have insulation in the basement, it is just 1/4 paneling. later Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #10

Pics

Not Sure how to insert pics...sorry and help
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #11

To insert a picture you just click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. Click on BROUSE and chose your picture. Your pictures have to have a small number of pictels or you will bet a message that says your to big.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #12

Pic

here you go
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Fixed the gaps between the mattress and the nitestands. Noticed last time out it we didn't get the cold air coming from the basement. I know we don't have insulation in the basement, it is just 1/4 paneling. later Ernie
How did you fix the gap between the mattress and the nitestands? That`s a real source for cold air intrusion.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #14

Bulldogs, I am glad to see you have pics.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #15

Mattress Gap

I am still working on the gap. I have not come up with an idea just yet, any suggestions.