Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #1

Just got Jayflight back from an 8 week dealer stay

This is the 2nd trip back to dealer in a years time and guess its not bad compared to some other peoples experiences but not exactly happy yet. I only had a couple of minor things on the first trip and they were taken care of. The 2nd trip I had them check the roof strength - they said was normal, check the sealer tape on the slides that cover the roof material to the edge of slide for wrinkles- they said was normal, had the check a spot in the vinyl floor that was raised- they said was a piece of debris and they removed it , front bed lifts keep coming off -they repaired, and the biggie was the rear bedroom slide was not seating at the top left corner when in the travel position/could see daylight from the inside through the seal because the gap was so large- they ordered a new facia panel and installed. They said the trailer was ready after having it for 8 weeks.

We went to pick it up today and was very disappointed in the slide issue. The panel had been replaced but there was still a gap in the same place. There was scratches in the paint where the panel was removed and no sealer reapplied to the new panel on the outer edge ,and the slide gasket was cut into where the panel was removed. So were not happy with that part at all. I talked with the service writer and showed the issues and she was understanding and had the technician apply sealer which helped cover up the scratches and scrapes, and put on a new slide gasket, and tried to adjust the slide but there is still a gap. So the technician said the slide room may not be square so they are going to contact Jayco about the issue and see what they say to do . They want to make it right and I left with the trailer and did not sign off on the repair order yet so it is still open till they come up with a resolution. I was disapointed at first but left feeling better about my dealer.

Have anyone else had slide issues with them not seating flush ?? If so what was the fix??
Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I'd be suspicious of any dealer who can't repair something correctly and causes more damage. Does the slide room make full contact when in the out position? If so, it's not out of square... There are numerous adjustments that can be made to the Lippert ram style electric slides; vertical, left/right, tilt, and extension/retraction. All the hardware has slots and jack screws to make these adjustments - just takes a competent technician. My kitchen slide didn't seat at the top right and was low on the right bottom. Dealer sent technician to my seasonal campsite and it took about 1.5 hours. Every adjustment made can affect the retracted or extended state. My slide is perfect now.

I'd start shopping for a more competent repair center.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3

I know your pain when it comes to having your trailer at a dealers for a long time and more than one time. We have a similar slide problem that several different dealers have been unable to resolve so we are just living with it. When we replace our trailer we will vote with our wallet. The slides on our trailer are not Lippert so maybe you have a chance with a competent mechanic.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if my trailer has the Lippert slide componets . Before the trailer was taken to the dealer the slide did seat flush when in the extended position but it was late when we got home yesterday and I had to work today so I will extend the slides tomorrow and see if its still flush while in the extended position.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco slide.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	10574Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco slide 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	10575

Here are some pictures of the gap at the upper left corner onthe rear slide. The slide seal does not even touch the trailer wall in the corner .
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Just got Jayflight back from an 8 week dealer stay

Whoa...that's not cool. Hope Jayco can make it right for you.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

As stated by mwebber78 the adjustments made for the travel position affected the extended position. I moved the slide this afternoon and checked the seal while extended and now it does not seal from the bottom right corner up about 5ft the seal does not touch and you can see plenty of daylight, the left side does not seal on the top left corner and down about 1 1/2 ft. So its now its not sealing while extended or retracted. Seems like there adjustments really have it out of square with the trailer wall.

I looked at the slide frame and see the adjusters and thought about trying to move it myself back to the original looking marks but not sure if I should . My dealer is an hour and half away from me so its a 3hr trip when I go.Still waiting on a response from Jayco also.

The dealer mentioned saturday if the room does turn out to not be square then they may have to install a new room but that makes me feel leary about how it will look after that is done. Anyone else had a new slide room installed ? If so how did it turn out ?

We have a trip planned for the weekend after thanksgiving and hate to get it tied up and it not be useable .
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
As stated by mwebber78 the adjustments made for the travel position affected the extended position. I moved the slide this afternoon and checked the seal while extended and now it does not seal from the bottom right corner up about 5ft the seal does not touch and you can see plenty of daylight, the left side does not seal on the top left corner and down about 1 1/2 ft. So its now its not sealing while extended or retracted. Seems like there adjustments really have it out of square with the trailer wall.

I looked at the slide frame and see the adjusters and thought about trying to move it myself back to the original looking marks but not sure if I should . My dealer is an hour and half away from me so its a 3hr trip when I go.Still waiting on a response from Jayco also.

The dealer mentioned saturday if the room does turn out to not be square then they may have to install a new room but that makes me feel leary about how it will look after that is done. Anyone else had a new slide room installed ? If so how did it turn out ?

We have a trip planned for the weekend after thanksgiving and hate to get it tied up and it not be useable .
Time for a new dealer - rule one of adjusting a slide is to check the adjustment in both the extended/retracted position. Anyone who displays such an obvious lack of understanding shouldn't be in business. I wouldn't allow them to attempt a slide room replacement until another dealer attempts adjustment.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

That gap resembles ours except our gap in on the bottom of the slide when it is retracted. At least when ours is extended it is flush with the wall so it is tight while we are living in it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #10

It has been a week today since picking up the trailer and still no word from Jayco on how they want the dealer to repair the slide. I also let the dealer know that the slide is not sealing in the extended position now . Does it usually take a long time for the manufacturer to respond with the dealer ?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #11

Mine is in the shop for a gap in the bedroom wardrobe slide as well as other things the dealer messed up before. When the slide is all the way it drops into place ans clicks as it is all the way out but you can run your fingers along the inside top and half way down each side of the slide. Also the end trim pieces are falling apart, the stain is peeling off. Hope they get yours fixed, Mine has been in the shop about 2 weeks, haven't heard a word fron them yet. It's a 2012 29RLDS, I have had it about 1 1/2 years.

And this is door they replaced because it was warped. Looks like they bent the hinges as they were putting it on.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #12

Took the trailer back to dealer this past saturday and they are going to try to adjust the rear slide again . This time from what they said they are going to almost remove the slide and start over with adjustments. Hope they get it corrected. We used it the weekend after thanksgiving and had to stuff towels in the voids around the slide inside the trailer so it would not be drafty. Also the kitchen sink faucet hold down nut broke on this trip and the dealer is going to correct that also and hopefully that will take care of the repairs for a while. These 3 hr dealer trips are not what I plan to do all the time.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Mine is in the shop for a gap in the bedroom wardrobe slide as well as other things the dealer messed up before. When the slide is all the way it drops into place ans clicks as it is all the way out but you can run your fingers along the inside top and half way down each side of the slide. Also the end trim pieces are falling apart, the stain is peeling off. Hope they get yours fixed, Mine has been in the shop about 2 weeks, haven't heard a word fron them yet. It's a 2012 29RLDS, I have had it about 1 1/2 years.

And this is door they replaced because it was warped. Looks like they bent the hinges as they were putting it on.
Got a call from the dealer 2 weeks ago, they said they had the slide adjusted, THE BEST THEY COULD, what ever that means, and had to put the trim pieces on, which they said Jayco changed them and sent them a PDF file on how to install them??? They glue on the sides, how hard can that be??
So 2 weeks later and they still don't have 4 trim pieces glued on, this is warranty item, I hope they are not charging Jayco by the hour!!!
My problem is this dealer has 3 dealer ships with in 50 miles from my house and I have no where else to take it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #14

Warranty is paid by the manufacture as a flat rate, they cover the COST of the part and pay less than hourly shop rate for the labor
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #15

I spoke with my dealer Monday and they are trying to finish the adjustments this week if that does not work they said it will have to be sent back to the factory.Hope they get it adjusted cause I dont really want it leaving several states away with all of our belongings.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #16

Wow, sorry for all the issues you guys are having.

We had a slide alignment issue, took our Pinnacle to a Jayco dealer in Southern Alabama (Not our selling dealer), they took care of the issue with a adjustment, no issues since.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #17

Just got the trailer back today after another 4 week stay at the dealer. They have adjusted the slide all they can and its still not sealing flush in the same spot on the outside which is the upper left corner. It is a little better but not flush like the other corners. And now they have added bubble tape to the inside so it will seal when in the extended position because its still not sealing all the way when extended. They noted in the repair order that the room is not square. So we are not exactly happy but not sure what else to do or if another dealer could do any better. My dealer made the comment on the phone the other day that it might have to go back to the factory but I really dont want to go through that and there was no mention of that today. We still have 9 months of warranty left from Jayco. I asked out of curiousity what my trailer was worth on trade and the trade in value they quoted was 1/2 of what the msrp was. When I contacted Jayco a month ago they said this was one of there best repairing dealers so there will not be any help from them.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Site Team

Sorry to hear they could not fix it. It sounds like the only recourse might be for it to go back to the factory if they authorize that, its very hard to compensate for out of square with adjustments. Are they giving you the lowball trade value because of the slide room issue?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Sorry to hear they could not fix it. It sounds like the only recourse might be for it to go back to the factory if they authorize that, its very hard to compensate for out of square with adjustments. Are they giving you the lowball trade value because of the slide room issue?

No. I just asked for a trade price in case the problem is not resolved . The sales dept is not aware of the slide problem. Just not sure what to do. Definitely don't want dealers or the factory to make a big mess of this trailer and then we will be stuck with it. After owning non slide trailers for 27 yrs and making the move to get one with slides has been disappointing .
Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Site Team

I wonder if a slide lock would work to pull that corner in tight when the slide is retracted?

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote