Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

kansas city to destin, florida

I'm planning to pull our swift 154BH from Kansas City to Destin Florida the last two weeks of December. Stopped on the way several times (Tennesse, Alabama, etc).
TV is front wheel drive Chrysler Town Country.
Am I going to run any issue with weather , icy road, torrential rains etc. ?

Can you please share your experience with this kind of plan ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I'm planning to pull our swift 154BH from Kansas City to Destin Florida the last two weeks of December. Stopped on the way several times (Tennesse, Alabama, etc).
TV is front wheel drive Chrysler Town Country.
Am I going to run any issue with weather , icy road, torrential rains etc. ?

Can you please share your experience with this kind of plan ?
Even the experts at the national weather service would have a hard time predicting the weather that far in advance.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

My crystal ball is at the cleaners right now, I'll try to update my post when I get it back

We travel from Maryland to Florida almost every February. February is the snowiest month in the DC area. Last time we went, it started to snow the night before we left. We towed in 4WD until we hit central Virginia. If you are about to leave and see a storm coming that could cause problems, you can either leave earlier or later to miss the storm.

Common sense goes a long way. Pay attention and prepare for the conditions. Florida is wonderful in the winter. We are looking forward to our trip already. We missed last year because we had a 3 month old boy in February... too long of a trip for him.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Hi pawntan, "Am I going to run any issue with weather , icy road, torrential rains etc. ?"

We are about 1/2 way home (KC) from the Florida panhandle east of Destin right now. This is our 2nd trip to the gulf this year. The first was in February. We were fortunate with the weather but that is a crap shoot like the others said.

The key is to have enough time to be flexible with leaving and being on the road.
If you are on a time schedule, you are putting yourself into a corner.....and that's not good.

I don't know what routes you have looked at but I have some suggestions. You can PM me if you like.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

I would worry more about traffic and speed traps when you get down south, welcome to Fla. Do a search for construction, it seems like all of the roads have it and plan not to be there at rush hour.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Yes we'll keep an eye on the weather forecast. RIght now the coach is winterized already. I have to dewinterize once I'm out of cold midwest area in december, and then winterize again before I get back to KC
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote