Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Keeping the sun out

My 2012 Jayco 29 RLDS does not have tinted windows or day/night shades. It came from Jayco like that. Anyway, I was wondering what would be better to keep the hot sun out, tinting the windows or replacing all the shades with day/night ones. I had an estimate on tinting just the rear lounge window with house tint that repels 80% of the sun and it was $175.00 for that 1 window.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

I cut some Reflectix to fit each window. Slip it behind the existing shade when needed. Roll up and stow when you don't need it.

Shop Reflectix 24-in x 25-ft Reflective Roll Insulation at Lowes.com
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

You can tint the windows yourself, Lowes, HD all carry the material in a wide range of sizes and colors. We also made blackout shades that we sometimes use, depending on our sleeping at the time.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Our TT came with tinted windows from Jayco, but they left a lot to be desired On our seasonal site, when the sun beats down on that side of the TT from about 9 am through 1PM you can feel the heat being radiated through the tinted window glass. So, we were looking at the window awning but the prices they wanted were out of this world $$$$. We tried the reflective ones used in cars, but the problem is that the heat has already entered the TT, that did not work.

So I was looking for a solution and came a cross these window coverings at the RVTOYSTORE.com. We chose the light color since the black ones would generate heat from the sun. So we selected the lighter colored ones.

So far the results have been great. The AC does not come on as early as it used to, about 9:30 or 10 without the shades, now it is somewhere around noonish, but the temp is not as hot inside.

Below are the pictures and some temperatures of the window frame with and without the window covers. Yes you can see through them. We ordered them with the 4 buttons for easy install/removal and we also had them include the Velcro option (they sew the Velcro on the ends of the shades). We put the Velcro on the bottom of the window frames of the windows that open.. this allows us to open those windows.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
WINDOW - Outside Screen Project - Finished View.jpg   WINDOW - Outside Screen Project - Temp test 1.png   WINDOW - Outside Screen Project - Temp Test After.png  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Our TT came with tinted windows from Jayco, but they left a lot to be desired On our seasonal site, when the sun beats down on that side of the TT from about 9 am through 1PM you can feel the heat being radiated through the tinted window glass. So, we were looking at the window awning but the prices they wanted were out of this world $$$$. We tried the reflective ones used in cars, but the problem is that the heat has already entered the TT, that did not work.

So I was looking for a solution and came a cross these window coverings at the RVTOYSTORE.com. We chose the light color since the black ones would generate heat from the sun. So we selected the lighter colored ones.

So far the results have been great. The AC does not come on as early as it used to, about 9:30 or 10 without the shades, now it is somewhere around noonish, but the temp is not as hot inside.

Below are the pictures and some temperatures of the window frame with and without the window covers. Yes you can see through them. We ordered them with the 4 buttons for easy install/removal and we also had them include the Velcro option (they sew the Velcro on the ends of the shades). We put the Velcro on the bottom of the window frames of the windows that open.. this allows us to open those windows.

Don
This greatly interests me. I've been fighting w/ the heat gain and single AC in my rig for a bit now. The Reflectix is quite ugly inside and darkens up the coach way too much.

Can you tell us more about these? How do they fasten to the outside? I'm leary of punching holes in my fiberglass; I wonder if they would work mounted on the inside?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #6

Oh, I see they allow for Velcro all around; seems it would be easier and less intrusive than drilling holes in your fiberglass.

Were you worried the velcro/3M wouldn't stick? I'm thinking velcro might be the way to go for me given my drill concerns. Also my large dinette window just about bumps up to the frame/border of my slideout; probably not wise to drill into that.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Oh, I see they allow for Velcro all around; seems it would be easier and less intrusive than drilling holes in your fiberglass.

Were you worried the velcro/3M wouldn't stick? I'm thinking velcro might be the way to go for me given my drill concerns. Also my large dinette window just about bumps up to the frame/border of my slideout; probably not wise to drill into that.
I would order them with the buttons and the Velcro, this way you have the best of 2 worlds. The Velcro is only in the corners. As for drilling. I drilled a small pilot hole, filled that with caulking, put a lot of caulking on the button threads and the back of the button. I then wiped off any excess caulk. It is like anything else, if you take your time and do a good job, you will not have any problems... The Velcro that has the tape on the back of it for mounting on the window frame sticks great..

You will need to measure each window frame size that you want to cover and send that to them. We called in our order to ensure that we got it all correct. We received the shipment within 3 days.

On the bunk bed window and the large window, we clip the top two buttons and use Velcro on the bottom ones, but still have the buttons just in case.

Cost wise, ONE window awning was priced at over $300, 4 window coverings cost us less than that. I have one more project to reflect the heat and that is the roof of the slide out... that gets warm around noon time. I am looking at some fabric (awning type at Joann Fabrics) and using PVC (hidden by the fabric to fit over the drip rail above the slide out and the slide out trim on top... will post the project when done.

Don

Don
Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #8

What density covers did you choose?

I agree the buttons would probably be 'sturdier', but I'm just gun shy drilling into my fiberglass. If the velcro sticks strongly enough and doesn't come off .... I have to think about this.

I won't be driving down the road w/ them installed.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

I agree the buttons would probably be 'sturdier', but I'm just gun shy drilling into my fiberglass. If the velcro sticks strongly enough and doesn't come off .... I have to think about this.

We got the HIGH density ones (94%)
Don
Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #10

Do those snap on outside covers cause a problem with accessing the emergency exit windows? On my TT all the large windows are exit windows.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Do those snap on outside covers cause a problem with accessing the emergency exit windows? On my TT all the large windows are exit windows.
The sun screens can be ordered with the buttons alone or buttons and Velcro. They sew a small piece of Velcro on each corner. We ordered with both, this way we can attach the tops with the buttons and the bottoms can be attached with either the buttons or the Velcro that is attached to the bottom of the emergency window, so you can open the window for air circulation and or a FAST escape. The bottom buttons will separate from the base with pressure on the window.

Hope that answered your question?

Don
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

I'm still interested in why you choose the buttons instead of the velcro, especially since you already paid to have the velcro added to begin with. I understand how you installed the buttons, and I can't think of a better way myself. But the velcro required no drilling at all. ???

Old 06-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #13

I just got a bunch of these for the motorhome. I'll be installing them tomorrow, and camping w/ them all next week. I'll post back with how I made out when I return.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
I'm still interested in why you choose the buttons instead of the velcro, especially since you already paid to have the velcro added to begin with. I understand how you installed the buttons, and I can't think of a better way myself. But the velcro required no drilling at all. ???
Sorry, I missed this post...

The reason I went with the buttons on all the sun screens is because of the occasional high winds and I was afraid that the Velcro would have separated and may have blown off. On the bottoms of the sun screens I got both buttons and Velcro, so that we could open the crank out windows for ventilation. The Velcro is stuck to the inside of the window and we just unclip the bottom buttons and fold the ends over to the inside of the windows and we can then crank them out for overnight. Using the buttons, you can only crank the windows out about 1.5", which is still a good amount if the exhaust fans are running

Don
Old 08-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:

In case anybody cares, the velcro hook/loop that sticks to the coach will start to drift along the side if the cover is large/heavy and its very hot outside and in direct sunlight.

So, WD40 on the coach side hook/loop for removal, and button installation it is. At least for the tops; I will attempt to keep the velcro on the bottom and see if the buttons up top are enough.