Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

Kitchen sink upgrade

My wife is not completely happy with the kitchen (galley) sink and wants a new one. Insert "when momma ain't happy. . ." here. Has anyone done comparison shopping for a stainless versus acrylic sink? What other parts might be needed to complete the project (traps, etc)?

If we went stainless then I would also have to change the faucet to make it match. Are RV faucets unique or could I find one at a big box hardware store?

Thanks for the help.

M
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus2415 View Post
My wife is not completely happy with the kitchen (galley) sink and wants a new one. Insert "when momma ain't happy. . ." here. Has anyone done comparison shopping for a stainless versus acrylic sink? What other parts might be needed to complete the project (traps, etc)?

If we went stainless then I would also have to change the faucet to make it match. Are RV faucets unique or could I find one at a big box hardware store?

Thanks for the help.

M
I don't have an answer for you on the sink, but the faucet is standard. There are a lot of people that have replaced the bathroom taps (myself included) because you can't actually fit your hands under the ones that Jayco provided.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

My wife did not like double bowl sinks, which is how our Eagle was equipped. Changed to a single bowl high quality home type stainless sink. If your original drain line is sized at 1 1/4", you would need an adapter to go from the 1 1/2" size on the new sink. These are readily available in plastic.

The biggest concern is the layout of the cabinet under the sink. I was able to find a larger sink that would fit, but enlarging the factory cutout and leaving enough countertop to allow for the mounting hardware was the first consideration, followed closely by the depth of the sink...do lots of measuring of both the cabinet and the sink with drain fitting installed! I was able to fit everything together so that the bottom of the trap wound up about 1/4" above the shelf - a tight fit when assembling, but it works fine without having to cut a clearance hole for the trap.

My wife was very happy with the sink, but we did have to acknowledge that going from two small bowls to one big one can take more water...our 2010 was the year before Jayco doubled the fresh water tank size on this model. Only a problem when dry camping, but something else to think about.

Also, I can just about guarantee that eventually someone will not be happy with the look of the original (white, in our case) equipment plastic faucet sitting on the shiny stainless steel sink...much easier to replace at the same time as the sink!

Chuck H