Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #1

Leak - 2013 Swift 145RB

Hi,
My brother in law just got a Swift 145RB. We towed it home tonight in a downpour and when we dropped it we noted that there was water that had come in the front of the unit and the cushions were wet. He had inspected the trailer twice prior to buying (also in the rain) and no leaks while stationary and no sign that it had leaked before (no staining on the wood under the cushions).

I suspect driving in the rain drive water under the window cover and the gasket in the window frame is failing.

anyone ever had this experience and any tips where to look?

Thanks!
Corey
therealsafetya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 AM   #2

they had a recall in 15 for the front window seal leaking . our first trip in our 2015 145rb the front window leaked during a rainstorm. on our 2017 145rb the dealer had already ran a bead of silicone around the window as a precautionary measure stating that they are known to leak. so I would start checking that first. good luck!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

I just finished dealing with a leak up front on our '15 195RB. As you describe I did not see any signs of leaking when stationary. However, on our last trip of last season we pulled for several hours in very heavy rains and winds the first day of the trip back. When we stopped for the night we found the head of the bed which is under the front window was damp. At the time I thought it was condensation as we'd been through some big temperature shifts. After getting everything dried out good the trailer sat for a month or so before I finally covered it for the winter. During that time it rained several times and again no sign of leaking while stationary.

Shortly after I uncovered it this spring I did find a puddle under the window after a particularly heavy down pour so I knew then I definitely had a leak. I started by caulking across the top and down both sides of the exterior frame using Dicor No-Sag sealant. After a couple more heavy down pours there was still a small puddle forming under the window. I noticed at that time there was water getting behind the rock guard and pooling around the glazing strip. I could see that the weather stripping used around the rock guard to seal it to the exterior frame when closed was not properly aligned around the corners which was allowing water to get behind the guard. The guard itself was off just a bit and the lower right corner did not quite overlap with the exterior frame.

Next steps were to replace the foam weather stripping around the rock guard with a rubber "D" seal, ensuring that all the corners were properly aligned. I added a small strip fastened to the exterior frame to close the gap due to the guard not quite overlapping. After the replacement of the weather stripping the water was no longer getting behind the rock guard. For good measure, I also ran a bead of the Dicor No-Sag sealant around both of the running lights on the front.

I also replaced the glazing strip around the exterior of the window. When I pulled that out I found a lot of water behind it. After drying it out good I ran a bead of Silicone II around the edge of the window. It looks like they use an adhesive/sealant around the edge of the glass that is rather brittle, so I'm guessing that after a couple of seasons of bouncing down the road the bond must start to crack in places. I then installed new glazing around the window, and just to be sure ran a thin bead of Silicone II around both sides of that.

I've had no further signs of leaking even after numerous heavy down pours so for now it looks like the problem is solved. But I will certainly be keeping a close eye on it going forward.

Hope that helps, and good luck with getting it fixed.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the help! This is great.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Gee, that was one thing i hated to see go when i went from the 195RB up to the 212QBW was the front window, now maybe not. It is utterly rediculous in this day n age that they cannot seal a front window properly when installed at the factory! I hate water leaks. Personally ttavasc, i would not have gone through all the trouble you did, i would have sent it back to the dealer and said, here, fix it, and make sure it's right (in a nice way of course) .... and later on, if you have issues again after the warranty is up .... you can say to Jayco, hey, it was an issue under warranty. I work for GM, and we have a lot of extended coverages on vehicles that we know are an issue, or could be an issue .... and i'm sure Trailer manufacturers are no different.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #6

.... Not to get off topic on this, but after my 1st post, was discussing this issue with my better half, because her sister n brother in law purchased a 2017 195RB right after we did, and it has spent quite some time at the dealer for stupid repairs. My wife's comment to me is " i know the Jayflight is not a higher end trailer", which i stopped her at that point. I said to her, they should be using the same sealing system on the Jayflight as they do on the Eagle etc .... it's not the seal, it's just becoming Piss Poor Construction in my opinion. Trailer sales are booming ..... and i quote my Brother-in-Law who worked at Windsor Assembly building Cordobas...." they told us, don't worry about it, let the dealer take care of it, just get it out" .... is that the way theRV industry is going?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Gee, that was one thing i hated to see go when i went from the 195RB up to the 212QBW was the front window, now maybe not. It is utterly rediculous in this day n age that they cannot seal a front window properly when installed at the factory! I hate water leaks. Personally ttavasc, i would not have gone through all the trouble you did, i would have sent it back to the dealer and said, here, fix it, and make sure it's right (in a nice way of course) .... and later on, if you have issues again after the warranty is up .... you can say to Jayco, hey, it was an issue under warranty. I work for GM, and we have a lot of extended coverages on vehicles that we know are an issue, or could be an issue .... and i'm sure Trailer manufacturers are no different.
Unfortunately the warranty on my unit was up in early March and the visible leaking didn't occur until late April. I say the visible leaking because when I pulled back the trim strip that runs over the joint between luan sheets under the window several of the staples around the area where the water was coming out from under the trim strip were noticeably rusted. It would appear that some leaking has been occurring that I wasn't aware of because the water never made it all the way inside the trailer.

In the smaller trailers particularly I like having that front window. It gives a feeling of being more open. I like having more natural lighting during the day as well. I do agree that you would think a more reliable method of sealing something like this would be used, but if enough of them are holding together just long enough to get them out of the warranty period there is not an incentive to change anything.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Unfortunately the warranty on my unit was up in early March and the visible leaking didn't occur until late April. I say the visible leaking because when I pulled back the trim strip that runs over the joint between luan sheets under the window several of the staples around the area where the water was coming out from under the trim strip were noticeably rusted. It would appear that some leaking has been occurring that I wasn't aware of because the water never made it all the way inside the trailer.

In the smaller trailers particularly I like having that front window. It gives a feeling of being more open. I like having more natural lighting during the day as well. I do agree that you would think a more reliable method of sealing something like this would be used, but if enough of them are holding together just long enough to get them out of the warranty period there is not an incentive to change anything.
Always remember one thing ..... the squeaky wheel always gets the grease! Secondly, Jayco Customer Service is one of the best, i'm sure they would have come to the party to help you
Old 05-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsafetya View Post
Hi,
My brother in law just got a Swift 145RB. We towed it home tonight in a downpour and when we dropped it we noted that there was water that had come in the front of the unit and the cushions were wet. He had inspected the trailer twice prior to buying (also in the rain) and no leaks while stationary and no sign that it had leaked before (no staining on the wood under the cushions).

I suspect driving in the rain drive water under the window cover and the gasket in the window frame is failing.

anyone ever had this experience and any tips where to look?

Thanks!
Corey
Here is a follow up to my earlier post on the window leak on my 195RB. You may want to check for similar:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...tml#post524999
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Here is a follow up to my earlier post on the window leak on my 195RB. You may want to check for similar:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...tml#post524999

Thank you