Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Leak question

2005 jayco feather lite sport

It has rained previously with no issues.
However, we have had an abundant amount of rain in Colorado.
I check in on camper and accidently found the cushions to be wet in 2 spots. Very soggy wet.
It was in 2 separate 6 inch spots that I really wouldn't have notice short of checking and underseat cabinet and noticed a sour smell.
I immediately looked up and didn't see any water damage.

There is a seam right over the wet spots with a thin plastic strip. I pulled off the strip but still didn't see any sign of water damage.
I may have felt something but we had some warm dry days since the rain storm.

Question 1 : Should I see water damage with any leak?
The only possible source of the water has to be a leak, short of someone squirting a hose in there, but it was locked.

Question 2: I climbed up on top and saw there was a bunch of liquid nails like goop that had been used to caulk the antenna and other items and the seam along the front which is near the seam inside. It seemed there were some hairline and some larger cracks on the seam and other places that were 'gooped' with the brown stuff.

I took some 35 year outdoor flexible caulk and work it into all the cracks I found. I really didn't think it would be feasible remove the existing stuff.
Anybody else deal with this kind of situation?

Jay
Jabawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

The caulk of choice for RV roof joints and around vents, tv antenna`s etc. seems to be Dicor self leveling lap sealant. The cracks you describe in the old sealant can most certainly lead to leaks.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nt-white/32125
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #3

Take your rig to a reputable dealer and have a sealtech leak detection test run for $100. I do every year just for peace of mind!
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

What exactly is a "sealtech leak test" and how is it performed by a dealer?
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

What exactly is a "sealtech leak test" and what does the dealer do to determine if you have concealed damage from a leak, i.e., no apparent evidence of structural damage (rotted studs), etc? I have had 2 incidents of same. One in the bottom left front corner of my living and dinning room slide out and the other the left front side of the unit. The slide out damage I was able to repair by removing the couch and cutting into the wall and carpet to effect the repair. The other Jayco repaired by replacing the studs and metal on the front of the unit and one strip of metal on the left side from the front to the slide out. I have a 2009 32BHDS that I purchased new from the dealer in Feb 2010. My 2 year warranty ran out in Feb 2012. I discovered the slide out damage in Nov 2012 and the left front damage in Mar this year. Jayco stepped up and repaired the damage "free of charge" to the front of the unit in Jun. I was treated very well by Jayco after I agreed to take the unit to Middlebury, IN. Cost me a few bucks but I feel I got a better repair at the factory repair facility than otherwise. Had I not taken it to Jayco I would have had to pay for the repair which would have cost me in excess of 8k.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
What exactly is a "sealtech leak test" and how is it performed by a dealer?
The Sealtech web site may be helpful: http://rvleaks.com/

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote