Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Unhappy Leak under refrigerator? 28bhbe

Hello, all! So I was just about to cook dinner in our 2017 Jay flight 28bhbe and heard water dripping under the refrigerator... This isn't the first time I've heard water dripping from under the cabinetry in the kitchen but this time when I popped the vent to the Furnace (where I could hear and feel the dripping) the water was seeping through the cracks of the wood above the furnace. The other times were just loose fittings in piping and hoses... I popped the back side of the fridge open to see if I could see anything and I noticed a small white hose hanging down that was also dripping.

I noticed when we got home from grocery shopping that the freezer wasn't completely sealed closed, but when I opened it to check if anything had defrosted everything seemed completely frozen. I'm not sure why that would cause it to leak anyways but that is the only thing I could think of out of the ordinary.

We full time in our TT so I would rather not take it into service if we don't need too. I attached a video of the leaking to hopefully give a better perspective!
Attached Files
AdventureSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

That small white hose behind the refrigerator is supposed to go into a drain pan close to the propane igniter. It is connected to the pan in the back top of the refrigerator below the cooling fins. When the ice melts off the fins, it drips into the pan, flows thru the tube and is supposed to run into a small drain pan. However, I don't put the tube end into that drain pan, I stick it out thru one of the square holes in the cover plate so if it does drain, it drains OUTSIDE the trainer, not inside.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #3

The norcolds go through a thaw cycle every now and then. You'll see any ice accumulation on the fins melt, drip into the pan and drain down that tube. That tube drains into a small black pan next to the burner behind the fridge where the water evaporates. Being you full time, and we've lived in ours as well on occasion, have you ever considered a residential fridge? We ditched the norcold for a residential and won't ever have another rv fridge. PM me if interested and I can give you details on the swap out. Very easy if you're a little handy.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
That small white hose behind the refrigerator is supposed to go into a drain pan close to the propane igniter. It is connected to the pan in the back top of the refrigerator below the cooling fins. When the ice melts off the fins, it drips into the pan, flows thru the tube and is supposed to run into a small drain pan. However, I don't put the tube end into that drain pan, I stick it out thru one of the square holes in the cover plate so if it does drain, it drains OUTSIDE the trainer, not inside.
Thanks for the advice! The white hose was dripping straight down instead of in that pan. I ran it outside of the trailer like you suggested and I haven't gotten anymore leaking. I'm guessing leaving the freezer door open caused the fridge to defrost enough to drip down to the furnace.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
The norcolds go through a thaw cycle every now and then. You'll see any ice accumulation on the fins melt, drip into the pan and drain down that tube. That tube drains into a small black pan next to the burner behind the fridge where the water evaporates. Being you full time, and we've lived in ours as well on occasion, have you ever considered a residential fridge? We ditched the norcold for a residential and won't ever have another rv fridge. PM me if interested and I can give you details on the swap out. Very easy if you're a little handy.
I actually read your thread and was intrigued with that idea, but I plan on boondocking a lot.. unless you can get residential refrigerators that run on both electric and propane?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

No residential on propane / electric unless you go with one of the propane Amish units. Or, have ample battery and solar to support a traditional residential fridge.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
However, I don't put the tube end into that drain pan, I stick it out thru one of the square holes in the cover plate so if it does drain, it drains OUTSIDE the trainer, not inside.
X2, everyone should stick the hose out the that vent cover.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

I have the 2017 28BHBE also. Do you access that white hose from the outside of the camper?

I need to look at mine. Probably re-route it too.
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednWV View Post
I have the 2017 28BHBE also. Do you access that white hose from the outside of the camper?

I need to look at mine. Probably re-route it too.
Yes! Pull off the black cover behind the refrigerator from the outside. You'll see the white hose. I put mine through the side of the cover like RAurand suggested. I haven't had any problems since!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Our 28BHBE has water damage around the louvered panel and all trim pieces beneath the fridge because of this very problem. Jayco is covering it under warranty. Sticking the hose out of the exterior vent is exactly how they fixed the issue. It was the 1st thing I noticed when I picked it up.

It definitely needs to be on the list of things to do 1st when buying an RV.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote