Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Learned about the TV

So, we were at a KOA and getting only maybe 4-5 TV channels, and mentioned it to the park manager. "Oh," says he, "did you program it for cable?"

"Um, no ... what?" So at the next KOA, we get out the book for the TV and follow the directions, and it gets stuck on an endless loop of running the auto channel check. Heavy sigh. We asked this park manager if he had any ideas, and he said, "Did you switch it off satellite?"

"Um, no ... what?"
"There should be a switch somewhere to go from satellite to cable."

Well, the book didn't say anything about that. We didn't see any such switches, outside or inside. In desperation (not so much that we have to watch TV, but that we're not going to let the technology win, right?), we pushed a button that was labeled only OFF/ON - and hey, presto! We had cable!

On our 23MRB, there's a cabinet under the TV, and on the right, at the top, there's an open space where the TV plugs in. This little button was behind the wire that plugs in, and almost invisible; at first, we thought the green light just meant that the TV was, in fact, plugged in. It doesn't say anything about satellite/cable, but pushing that button to the off position solved the problem.

We apparently do have to run through the auto channel check process at each campground, but since we pushed that little button, it hasn't gotten stuck in that process.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

What you turned off was the antenna booster. That must be turned off when using cable TV. But turn it back on when you plan to use over-the-air channels.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
What you turned off was the antenna booster. That must be turned off when using cable TV. But turn it back on when you plan to use over-the-air channels.
Exactly as Jason said.

Every new place you go you will have to do this step.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #4

Okay, thanks. That's good to know.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

First thing I suggest to campers when were working at a campground. Is little green light ON? Well, turn it off, program your TV to cable and scan channels...every time you stop, same procedure.

Next biggest question.. my electric doesn't work....did you turn the breaker to on? Oh....no...

Amazing how many times a week these same things happen..your not alone

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

We've had to remind ourselves about the breaker once, too. We don't mind learning. We are so pleased with the trailer (our first hardside) that it's kinda fun. Frustrating, and then fun. The only problem we're having with the electrics now is the back stab jacks not going down, but we can crank 'em till we get that sorted. (Yes, the breaker's on.)
Old 09-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

The little green lite is the booster for the over the air ant on the roof. It has nothing to do with sat tv. In fact you use the same coax connection on the outside of the TT to feed either cable or sat to your entertainment center. I agree that RV dealers could do a better job explaining the wiring both electrical or media. The ugly truth is that they probably know less about it than most of their customers. All tvs work differently so there is no "push this button" and select this choice" when you set up your tv. In a general sense they all work kind of the same but you have to have a little experience because while the tvs may be the same, in an RV that moves around, you are reconnecting and doing a set up each time you move. With digital tvs you have to do a channel search to program the tv tuner to the available channels on the CG cable service.

The bottom line is you will learn by doing and after 3 or 4 setup, you'll get the hang of it. Unfortunately if you only camp a few times and there are a few months between trips, you might want to take notes and set up a set of steps. Pretty basic once you get the hang of it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

We used to camp exclusively dry, but now that we're doing more Highland Games, we're doing KOA more often, and kicking back with TV and a drink after a long day at the Scottish clan booth. We'll get it down eventually.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

I replaced my Wineguard antenna with a King Jack antenna, it picks up really well, even facing backwards. Also have the King Jack signal meter to help find the right direction. Just wish the TV manufactures would include a built in signal meter on their sets to help with the fine tuning. I guess some have it and some don't.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
I replaced my Wineguard antenna with a King Jack antenna, it picks up really well, even facing backwards. Also have the King Jack signal meter to help find the right direction. Just wish the TV manufactures would include a built in signal meter on their sets to help with the fine tuning. I guess some have it and some don't.
What Witt said. The King Jack is super and the signal meter really helps find the best signal.
Happy RVing,
Jeff!
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #11

This is my first trip out in my 23 rb. My cable is really snowy. I can only assume it's the old coax I grabbed out of the drawer at home and am using.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote