Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Leaving Jayco

Well my friends, we just purchased a new Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS today. Our used Jayco 19RD was way too small for us. The Jayco dealers in our area didn't have anything in our price range. We'll be in their forum now.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Good luck with the new acquisition, and hope you have years of fun with it. Maybe someday, your path will cross with this forum once again. Cheers!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

Congrats with the new camper and good luck. It stinks when the local dealer can't take care of you. I had the same problem and ended up buying our soon to be new jayco camper almost 6 hrs from home. It was worth it to me though...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Good luck and congrats!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Best of luck with the larger rig. Please come back and post on how the 2 rigs compare just for information to us.

Enjoy the new camper!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Good luck and congrats. I started with Forest River myself. Good camper, and the owners forum was always really active too.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

When you are aligned with a manufacturer, a local dealer all too often assumes you will buy for lack of another choice. Some like this OP change manufacturer but others [me included] get out of Dodge so to speak. The argument for and against buying local has been layed out before on the forum and I won't go there again but before I would switch I would drive. Losing your sale may help the next guy but I doubt it. My experience with local dealers is that many act like they are doing you a favor offering a TT on their lot for you to buy at a much higher price than online. Suspect that is why so many dealers are struggling to survive. In a similar fashion I haven't purchased anything from a major retailer and my activity at Wally W is pretty much down to duct tape and motor oil. The rest I order from Amazon at a better price and a better selection/
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

Best of luck with your new camper. We recently left the Jayco family for "another" brand. For the first time in my life I did not follow my heart but instead made what we thought was a more responsible decision. I think we were wrong. After living with the new unit for a few weeks, the build quality is NOT up to those of Jayco. Price difference was not a consideration, I have made many mistakes in my past and will have to live with this one. I post this only to let all know that complain about Jayco quality that, take it from someone that has spent their money to learn, you could do worse.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #9

I think one of the main reasons the big retail RV dealers can't compete with the online sellers such as RV Express or smaller RV dealers outside the area of the larger local dealer could have to do with overhead. I also think entities such as RV Express are still affiliated with the larger retail dealers due to territory contracts. I specify this because when I submitted my deposit to RV Express for the TH listed in my signature section below, the receipt had Richardson's RV out of Southern CA as the receiving entity. I assume RV Express pays a royalty to these territorial contracted RV dealers for the right of these online entities to sell units to people domiciled in their territory. This may be different if one was to physically show up at a dealer outside of their domiciled area with cash.

I bring this topic up for more than what this post's topic is about because many here have experienced trouble from their local dealer regarding warranty repairs or other type of service needed due to these dealers specifying that they only service units purchased through them. Well, I think the fact that I now have evidence that the large local retail RV dealer was indeed involved in the sale of the unit to which I could now provide such evidence to the service manager and hope such will change their tune without taking it any further. This is just food for thought for those who fall into this unfortunate situation and of course, I strongly suggest that these discoveries being presented should be done with the utmost respect, professionalism and calmness. You know, sorta, kinda a honey vs vinegar analogy.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Harview View Post
I think one of the main reasons the big retail RV dealers can't compete with the online sellers such as RV Express or smaller RV dealers outside the area of the larger local dealer could have to do with overhead. I also think entities such as RV Express are still affiliated with the larger retail dealers due to territory contracts. I specify this because when I submitted my deposit to RV Express for the TH listed in my signature section below, the receipt had Richardson's RV out of Southern CA as the receiving entity. I assume RV Express pays a royalty to these territorial contracted RV dealers for the right of these online entities to sell units to people domiciled in their territory. This may be different if one was to physically show up at a dealer outside of their domiciled area with cash.

I bring this topic up for more than what this post's topic is about because many here have experienced trouble from their local dealer regarding warranty repairs or other type of service needed due to these dealers specifying that they only service units purchased through them. Well, I think the fact that I now have evidence that the large local retail RV dealer was indeed involved in the sale of the unit to which I could now provide such evidence to the service manager and hope such will change their tune without taking it any further. This is just food for thought for those who fall into this unfortunate situation and of course, I strongly suggest that these discoveries being presented should be done with the utmost respect, professionalism and calmness. You know, sorta, kinda a honey vs vinegar analogy.
RV express in Middlebury is indeed owned by the same people that own Richardson's RV in California. In fact you can take delivery at either locations. RV express has a large service and sales showroom in Middlebury, In. We purchased from them last spring and have been very happy with their service. In fact, the owner was in Middlebury and he personally took care of our paperwork and finalizing the deal. This is not a "satellite" office or a drop off point, I bet they had 100 Jaycos on their lot and 4 or 5 service bays. We have not had any warranty issues needed a dealer ( we did get great service from Jayco on the minor issues we had) but we certainly could take it anywhere. We spoke with the local dealer and he has no issue handling warranty work.

We mainly purchased from RV Express because we live in Arizona but were going back to ILL to visit family anyway. We saved about $3,000 just in delivery fees to Arizona. Plus we saved more on the price. If I'm not mistaken I believe Richardsons is the largest Jayco dealer in the country, they have great buying power.

All being said, if I had to have service work I would most likely use an independent RV service company, I saved enough I would handle most all except a major issue, and still be ahead.

Bottom line, I would purchase again from Richardsons or RV express if I was in the market.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

wags999, thanks for the clarification. I feel better that my purchase affords a no hassle service and warranty facility to the, local to me, Richardson's RV. I too will only use their service only if possible major issues arise during the 2 years because I can do most minor repairs and upgrades myself. It's also great to hear that you had a great experience with RV Express. Here's hoping you and the family have wonderful and safe RV adventures.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #12

Best of luck with your new trailer. Have fun and enjoy!

BTW, lodiguy, you dont happen to live in Lodi up in northern MI, do you?

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Congrats! The main thing that you're happy life is to short being sad or regretting the decussion you made, do you have any pics I would love to see some?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

There are reasons different brands have different price points. Being a very competitive business, it's not markup that typically makes the difference between those brands. Materials, construction features etc, have more impact on price. Different price points are offered because we all use our Rv's in a different way. A full timer, living in their RV will require a different level of quality of materials than someone using their RV a few weeks a year.

We are not full timers, but do typically live in ours 5 to 6 months a year. Jayco fits our needs perfectly. We have had different units over the years, many were great RV's but, flooring etc would not hold up to being used 50% of the time.

I'm happy you found a unit that fits your needs and pocket book. May you have many many happy memories over the years in your new RV.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #15

Congrats!
We just sold our 2014 Forest River hybrid and I'm starting to think we made a wrong decision. That camper was built great and we could deal with FR directly to fix issues. Keeping fingers crossed the Jayco will turn out to be good camper once leaks are fixed.
FR forum is very friendly and helpful. As is Jayco forum.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #16

We owned a Forest River product back in 2013 - we were pleased. At least with our trailer, we never had a single problem.
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodiguy View Post
Well my friends, we just purchased a new Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS today. Our used Jayco 19RD was way too small for us. The Jayco dealers in our area didn't have anything in our price range. We'll be in their forum now.
Congrats! A new tt... more time camping. We also out-grew our old Jay Flight, but now have a new Jayco and short of a few warranty issues, we are on the road, and are excited to get out and camp again. Happy travels
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote