Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Leveling question

New Jayflight 28RLS. Trailer seems to lean slightly towards the slide side with slide out. Is this normal? Any tips on leveling? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Have dogs will travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

You have a lot of weight hanging off the side of the camper. It is normal. You level it just like any other camper. Use blocks under the wheels. In time you will figure out how much out of level to set up your camper with the slide in so once extended you are pretty level.

The thing you don't want to do is use your stabilizer jacks to level out any lean. They are stabilizer jacks not leveling jacks.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

I usually try to level my 23RLSW a little high on the slideout side - not a lot, just a little. After I extend the slideout, it's usually pretty close to perfect.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have dogs will travel View Post
New Jayflight 28RLS. Trailer seems to lean slightly towards the slide side with slide out. Is this normal? Any tips on leveling? Thanks!
Normal. We usually level the trailer side-to-side with the trailer level or very slightly high on the slide side and drop the stabilizers. When we run out the slide, the slide side is slightly down. Then we tighten the curb side stabilizers - the weight of the slide loosens them up a bit.

BTW, I do like having the slide side slightly down in case of rain. I'd rather have the rain stay away from the top slide seal and not run down along the side slide seal.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Normal. We usually level the trailer side-to-side with the trailer level or very slightly high on the slide side and drop the stabilizers. When we run out the slide, the slide side is slightly down. Then we tighten the curb side stabilizers - the weight of the slide loosens them up a bit.

BTW, I do like having the slide side slightly down in case of rain. I'd rather have the rain stay away from the top slide seal and not run down along the side slide seal.
X2. If I remember right, I will try to be no more than 1" high on the door side at the very most (about 1/2" seems "ideal"). Then once all is said and done, the curb/ slide side is no more than 1" low at the very most. It also helps the a/c drain to the curb side and not the door side.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the leveling tips. Wondering if I can put the slide out before backing it onto the leveling blocks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Have dogs will travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #7

I would avoid moving the trailer with the slide extended, could introduce stress that it's not designed for. 1/2 inch here or there isn't that critical.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
I would avoid moving the trailer with the slide extended, could introduce stress that it's not designed for. 1/2 inch here or there isn't that critical.
X2
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

If the lean is enough that it bothers you, what we did once when we were camping in the same place for a week, was to put one of these under the frame on the slide side, after the trailer is level but before the slide is extended:

It would minimize the amount of suspension flexing when the center of gravity changes when the slide is extended.

Another solution is to buy a trailer with slides of equal size on either side, so it's balanced.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote