Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

lights over bed.

We have a 2013 Jayco jay flight swift 26bhs. We hate the overhead lights in the master bedroom. They blast you right in the eye. rather than carry lamps for each bedside stand, I wondered if anyone replaced or modified those lights...any suggestions and please, no LED suggestions, those blast a bright light too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	8278
the pic shows the light over the bed.
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

We have 2 like that. Also find them useless as they are to bright and not positioned for reading at all. Haven't figured out a solution yet but hopefully some one on here has some good ideas !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Have you tried some sort of diffuser , maybe a new assembly for the light with a built in diffuser, soft light bulb?

There are different styles of diffusers ( the cover ) that can be had. try your dealer perhaps for help, white versus clear lense would probably make a "softer" light.

* By the way, yes LEDs are brighter in some instances, you can get soft leds or warm lighting versions, not all LEDS are insane bright. Try googling rv lights, LEDtrailerlights.com etc. Google is your friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	8279 LED on left..

Pay attention to the Lumens rating.
WreckTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh and Barb View Post
We have a 2013 Jayco jay flight swift 26bhs. We hate the overhead lights in the master bedroom. They blast you right in the eye. rather than carry lamps for each bedside stand, I wondered if anyone replaced or modified those lights...any suggestions and please, no LED suggestions, those blast a bright light too.

Attachment 8278

Those lights are better suited for police lineups than reading in bed to be sure! Kinda like staring into the sun when they're on. A quick fix: Head to your nearest Home Depot or hardware that has a large selection of Rustoleum products. Look for a a can of "frosting" spray (for glass or plastic I believe). Remove the lense cover on the light and spray this product on the inside of the lense and let it dry thoroughly. Should dim the intensity of the light and diffuse it some.

OR: Give the PPL Motorhomes Part Superstore online a look for lighting products. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/d...er-12-volt.htm
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Take a 3" x 3" sticky note and after getting on the bed in the position that you will be when you read, put the sticky note over the part where the lightbulb shines in your eye. You will get the benefit of the light without the direct glare.

We ultimately bought two small lights that I mounted on the wardrobe walls. Also bought a dimmer for my side so it could be made from off to very bright. Each item gotten at Home Depot.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
... rather than carry lamps for each bedside stand, ...
My wife isn't happy with the 12 volt lighting in the main area of our 23b. She mentioned table lamps, but as you say they may be a pain so we scrapped that idea.

Her latest quest is for some 120 volt sconce type lamps. She hasn't decided on which ones yet, but it seems like a permanently mounted wall lamp may be in our future. I like the idea and have already installed a wiremold supply to power them.

A sconce type light may work in the bedroom when on shore power. FWIW vic
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

My original bulbs are very bright, may be a 921 (21 candlepower). You can try a 906 (6 candlepower) or a 912. I replaced the bedroom bulbs with led. Not bright at all, almost like a night light. Way too dim for the rest of the camper but great for over the bed.
Kohout Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:

Attachment 8278
I have the same issue with those over head lights. I know you said no LEDs, but I'm considering these.

http://panther-rvproducts.com/LED-Re...m1plqscsfapp04

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

There's a few lights at the bottom of this page that might work for you.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Int...show=25&page=2

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Site Team

My rig has the fixtures with the 1383 bulbs. They are terrible for reading and are so hot you can burn your hand when reaching up to turn it off. I replaced the bulbs with LED's and they are cooler but still blind us while reading.

I would welcome an inexpensive solution to this cause I like to read in bed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

Along the lines of a previous post...apply a small piece of foil tape (maybe about the size of a quarter?) to the inside of the lens, right where the bulb is to prevent the direct light coming to your eyes. You'll get only reflected light. I replaced mine with leds and did this in addition.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

I like to read before bed and hubster doesn't. He replaced my bulb with a red bulb. I can still read but it has a much softer effect. Plus, it's kinda romantic!! Lol!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

I figured it out. I like to read but don't need the light with my kindle fire, but I like to control the light so I went to walmart and got a small gooseneck type lamp for my side of the bed. It has an ajustable neck so I can move the beam of light to where I want it.A 40 watt bulb is all it takes and we got the florescent type to keep it from blowing when going down the road like a regular bulb would. So far , so good. I attached velcro to the bottom and stuck it fast to the side table. Now we only use the overhead light when going into the closets or when nobody is in bed.
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #14

I put a piece of tinfoil inside the lens just enough to cover the bottom, enough light to read with no bright light in your eyes. I was concerned about overheating but I have left them on for over an hour with no overheating
bat119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #15

I went to dealer that I bought my TT from, bought a new twin-light assembly and mounted on the underside of the cabinet over the bed, in the middle and right next to the wall. To do that I removed one of the existing light assemblies to expose the wiring and spliced on two new wires - one for positive and one for negative.

With the wire ends taped to a straightened coathanger I fed the new wires to the back edge of the cabinet underside. I pulled them out, attached them to the new lamp assembly, and screwed the new light in place. Now I have a decent light BEHIND my eyes for reading in bed. I left both of the original lights in place.

And I agree. The way the lights are set up over the bed is just plain ridiculous. The RV designers should be required to own and live in their creations. I bet they would change a few things.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I went to dealer that I bought my TT from, bought a new twin-light assembly and mounted on the underside of the cabinet over the bed, in the middle and right next to the wall. To do that I removed one of the existing light assemblies to expose the wiring and spliced on two new wires - one for positive and one for negative.

Bill....looking to solve the same problem. I like your mod. I've ordered replacement LED lights from Panther Products before. Replaced most of the pancake style lights in a smaller Bigfoot we use for highway travel. All worked well and are of good quality. Since I bought those at 5500*K, they have now come out with some lights at 3500*K and 4500*K. Think I'll order one of these'

http://panther-rvproducts.com/LED-36...26-0086-NW.htm

Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #17

We replaced all lights near a bed with a light that has a dimmer..

Brilliant light makes some that you add the features you need..

Base single light
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...5&idcategory=6

Add PCB board
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...3&idcategory=6

Add dimmer
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...0&idcategory=6

Add LED for a nightlight in the main hallway
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...4&idcategory=6

We have done numerous changes to our 2012 32bhds eagle..
1) Switching to a marinco power cord
2) Replacing thermostat with a real thermostat
3) Replacing outdoor shower with http://www.dwincorp.com/products/66/...ld-Spray-Port-
4) Rearranging water/power so the heater wont melt them!
dbrandon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #18

LED replacement bulbs work wonders!
MacMcD is offline   Reply With Quote