Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Line Frequency High definition and prevention

I can't find any comprehensible definition online of "line frequency high," which is the warning I got recently on my Progressive Industries PT30C surge device. Can someone give a clear, understandable meaning for the phrase and suggest what I can do to avoid this error? Thanks in advance.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

AC power ('line' power from the US grid) is usually at a frequency of 60 cycles per second (60 hertz). Your PT30C message says it measures a frequency greater than that.

Unless the power to your PT30C is from your generator, there is nothing you can do about it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Frequency is a component of power generation versus demand. If there was a large load (like a good size city) and all feeds into that city were lost, then the frequency would momentarily increase. As soon as the generators sense this they will back off power production. I am a transmission system operator and we monitor frequency closely. Frequency should return quickly to acceptable levels.
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Frequency is a component of power generation versus demand. If there was a large load (like a good size city) and all feeds into that city were lost, then the frequency would momentarily increase. As soon as the generators sense this they will back off power production. I am a transmission system operator and we monitor frequency closely. Frequency should return quickly to acceptable levels.
Great information! Thanks for the heads up. I always rather assumed that frequency was never a problem in this country but your explanation makes perfect sense. If the generators lost such a large load all at once then it could take a bit for them to get back to the proper speed. Makes perfect sense.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

"Normally" you will see low frequency more than high. The exact opposite happens when a large portion of generation is lost...Frequency goes down.....along with voltage.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

I have a follow-up question on this topic. As stated, my surge device showed a warning for "line frequency high." Power dropped out then resumed. It happened a second time within 24 hours, then power resumed again with no problem. What likely would have happened if there were a line frequency high and there had been NO Progressive Industries PT30C surge device between the electrical pedestal and my Jayco travel trailer? Thanks in advance, John K.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
I have a follow-up question on this topic. As stated, my surge device showed a warning for "line frequency high." Power dropped out then resumed. It happened a second time within 24 hours, then power resumed again with no problem. What likely would have happened if there were a line frequency high and there had been NO Progressive Industries PT30C surge device between the electrical pedestal and my Jayco travel trailer? Thanks in advance, John K.

Nothing. There were likely thousands of houses on the same grid at the time you had the frequency alarm and all survived just fine. Electric clocks may have gained a couple of milliseconds but absent a very high frequency deviation for a significant length of time you would never notice a frequency variation.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Frequency can damage sensitive equipment that utilized a timing function. It can also damage generation equipment
Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Frequency can damage sensitive equipment that utilized a timing function. It can also damage generation equipment
I doubt you'll find a lot of that in most Jayco travel trailers.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I doubt you'll find a lot of that in most Jayco travel trailers.
I agree!!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #11

Most of the electronics in your household run on DC power. The first thing most devices do is convert the AC to DC power. These devices (transformers and diode rectifiers) aren't particularly susceptible to frequency (or minor voltage) fluctuations. That's why a lot of power packs on laptops will work on 110/220 50/60Hz with only a change in the plug. Even clocks don't rely on the 60Hz for timing; they use a crystal that vibrates at a much higher frequency.

Motors and compressors use the AC to produce motion, and the change will cause a change in rotation speed, but nothing to worry about.

Older CRT type TV's and tube type devices used the AC for their circuitry, often amplifying voltage and/or frequency, so they would be more susceptible, but there are few of these devices left.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

Larger motors can have a problem with frequency variations due to the build up and collapse of the magnetic fields also some of these motors have frequency drives that can change the speed of the motor by varying frequency. But like was said before, RV'S don t have any of this equipment so a frequency deviation shouldn't cause us a problem.