Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Loaded weights: Eagle Premier 284BHBE

Anyone have loaded weights for the 284BHBE Eagle Premier?

Looking for loaded tongue weight and total weight of trailer...

Anyone with experience towing a 9000lb trailer on a new 2014 Silverado with max trailering package (3.73s, 11,100 w/5.3/11,700 6.2)?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

I have the Flight version of that floorplan (virtually the same base weights). It's a VERY nice trailer and a GREAT floorplan. My trailer weighs around 7500 loaded for a trip. That includes gear, 25 gals of FW, food for a weekend and me and DW's whatnots. The yellow sticker reads 7049 IIRC.

Tongue weighs approx 960 lbs IIRC.

I tow it with a 2012 GMC Sierra with HD Tow package (5.3L) and it does okay. Since I'm expecting a new son in a couple months, I'm looking to get into a 3/4 ton to tow this rig since I'm currently right at my maximums. Watch out for payload with that truck, that's where you'll get caught.

I know it's not the EXACT same trailer, but they're REALLY close. I hope that helps!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

That's good to hear! The premier model weighs about 500lb more, advertised dry of 6605 so I'm guessing around 7250 yellow sticker weight and 8500-9000lbs ready to camp for a long trip. I agree, payload will be the limiting factor here with 1000lbs on the tongue, that leaves around 800 for the rest of the family and whatever is in the bed, less gas. Will be close.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Loaded weights: Eagle Premier 284BHBE

You haven't bought the truck yet, correct? If that's true, check that payload sticker on the driver's door. We looked at the Sierra (Silverado twin as you know) and an SLT Crew cab we looked at did not have an 1800 pound payload. It was around 1600. That was the 5.3.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Oh one other thing on the GM twins. I know you said you had kids, I don't know how many or their ages but note that there is no centre rear headrest so that seat is only useful for harnessed car seats (even most highback boosters require head support so won't work there).

I also found the outer rear headrests small (we've got a teenager who I like to have a an adult sized headrest) and didn't seem to lock into an upper position so if you bumped them, they'd drop down. Maybe this particular truck was just finicky, but you may want to check out if they can actually be raised and lock into place firmly.

I did love the heated steering wheel option though!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
You haven't bought the truck yet, correct? If that's true, check that payload sticker on the driver's door. We looked at the Sierra (Silverado twin as you know) and an SLT Crew cab we looked at did not have an 1800 pound payload. It was around 1600. That was the 5.3.
Not yet. I will have to take a look. Thanks. They calculate payload capcaity by taking the GVWR of the vehicle and subtracting the empty curb weight. Then add 175 for fuel, 175 for me 150 for wife and 50 for kid, 50 for dog to the empty curb weight. Take that number subtract from GVWR of vehicle, and that's the real payload capacity. I can see the GMCs having slightly less payload because they normally have more options.

After some research, I decided that max trailering package is not necessary for this trailer. People with 3.42s are doing just fine with this kind of weight. They are bumping up on, or exceeding in some cases, the payload capacity but not by that much. Personally, I'm more comfortable exceeding payload (to an extent) capacity on the 1500 than MDX. It's a truck not a Unibody crossover SUV.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejaykay View Post

After some research, I decided that max trailering package is not necessary for this trailer. People with 3.42s are doing just fine with this kind of weight. They are bumping up on, or exceeding in some cases, the payload capacity but not by that much. Personally, I'm more comfortable exceeding payload (to an extent) capacity on the 1500 than MDX. It's a truck not a Unibody crossover SUV.

I know with the Ford I just bought that the max tow package on it gave me a 420# higher GVWR and thus I've got that much more payload (as confirmed by the door stickers) of the same vehicle without max tow. I get a 3.73 with the max tow and 3.55 without, but I doubt that's helpful to you.

Not sure if the payload increases with the Chevy max tow package, but would be something to look into.

And I hear ya on the comfort of exceeding MDX capabilities. We both ended up in the same boat! LOL