Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Locking battery box

Since I have to put my new 23RLSW TT in a storage lot, I'm thinking of trying to secure the battery so I don't have to remove it.

The storage lot is semi secure with a gate, but I know a few years ago someone got a generator out of a class A.

I changed out the storage bin locks to the barrel type, and added a lock to the LP tanks.

Just trying to protect my investment.

Has anyone switched out the plastic one to an aluminum locking box?

I don't plan on changing to 2 batteries, but may step up to a group 27 from the existing group 24.

99% of our camping is with hookups. I've looked at some online but would like some real world recommendations from the RV'ers.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

I was going to do the battery box, but decided to take my old tow chain and use that to secure the battery boxes. It is one continuous length that weaves through the 2 battery boxes. If they stole a generator from an RV, odds are they can get through any battery security you put in place. The chain will keep the non-professionals (just looking to make an easy snatch) away and they may move to an easier trailer. Inside are 2 Trojan T145 6volt batteries.

Here is how I looped the chain between the battery boxes 9see picture). I bolted the front end of the chain to the security chain bolt.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Secuity Chain.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

If you are leaving your battery at the storage lot over the long season be sure to have a battery disconnect switch installed at the terminals or just remove the battery negative terminal. The parasitic drains will get your battery dead in a just a week or so... Then you will have to buy a new battery...

A charged up battery will sit for a long time and not go down in charge very fast. They are also not prone to freezing if charged up... I still would check them at least once a monh...

You could also remove the battery and sit it inside the trailer too... I used to do this all the time when my trailer was sitting in a hotel parking lot when I was dragging my trailer with me on travel trips...

My metal folding step always ended up just inside the door and was a perfect spot to sit the batteries on top of it..

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

I installed a tork lift sliding lid locking box on my 23RLSW. The pictures show it on my old trailer but the same setup on the new Jayco.

Battery Box by Bruce Reilly | Photobucket
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

RoyBraddy, I plan on installing a disconnect switch once I figure out the battery box setup. In fact already have it purchased.

TxTwoSome, did you buy the box on line or somewhere else? It looks like your lock is on the front, correct?

Do you have more than 1 battery or just store things in the extra space? sorry for all the questions but looks like something I may want to look into.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
RoyBraddy, I plan on installing a disconnect switch once I figure out the battery box setup. In fact already have it purchased.

TxTwoSome, did you buy the box on line or somewhere else? It looks like your lock is on the front, correct?

Do you have more than 1 battery or just store things in the extra space? sorry for all the questions but looks like something I may want to look into.

http://www.valuervparts.com/torklift...1-16-dh-a7700/

I bought the box online the lock is on the front and the lid slides on and off.

This allows you to put the box very close to the front of the trailer saving space.

I added another battery and the battery disconnect switch.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote