Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Locking while at dealer

Hello, So I finally got the dealer and Jayco to agree to paint my front cap. It took me allot of phone calls. So now here is my question. I hate leaving my trailer anywhere. Since they are just painting the front cap there is no reason they should have to go in my camper. So I know one of the locks is a universal lock, think any key can unlock it. Now the dead bolt key should only be keyed to the camper. So if I lock both can they get into my camper. Should they be able to. I really don't want or see a reason for them to enter my camper. What do others do if the work is suppose to be just on the outside of the camper. When I left our previous camper for some repairs. We found evidence people were in our camper, not for work reasons and it really upset my wife and pissed me off. So I don't want to go through that again. Of course the dealer always denies anyone being in your camper other then for work. But our find suggested otherwise and they don't care.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team

When Jayco redid our cap, I closed all the vents, locked all the door locks (re-keyed), installed barrel locks on storage doors, locked the battery cases and turned off the Battery Disconnect Switch.

They had no issues at all. No dust in the TT, no one entered.

Lock it up!

Don

Don't forget to disconnect your batteries if you do not have a battery disconnect switch, or your batteries will probably be DOA when you pick the TT up.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

If your locks are factory your dealer will have master keys to unlock them.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

Think a whole lot of ta-do about nothing. Trust me that these folks are afterall RV techs and have keys to open about anything they need or want to open. I would ask the dealer about locking things and advising them that unless they have a servicing need to enter the TT that you do not want anyone in it.

By locking it you will make it more difficult for a non-employee to ransack your TT. Security at many Dealer lots is marginal at best. What I would do is remove any hi dollar items that you have in the unit. The dealer lots that I have visited has hundreds if not thousands of RVs both new and used. If your's is locked, it will be less likely that an employee or who ever will pick on your unit to have some private time with a dear friend as they will take the path of least resistance and find one that is open.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
If your's is locked, it will be less likely that an employee or who ever will pick on your unit to have some private time with a dear friend as they will take the path of least resistance and find one that is open.
Still laughing over this one. Funny stuff.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #6

Yea and that private time is what I'm afraid of. Items we found in our previous trailer were very upsetting. The dealer ship however, denied anyone could get in. They left it unlocked on there lot. I know because when I would go to check the progress it would be unlocked. I asked them on numerous occasions to keep it locked. That was Campers Barn in Kingston, NY ,now campers world.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

WOW, I have better things to worry about, LMAO...........
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

I would close it up tight, and lock it. Our dealer told us, the master key only works on the door latch not the dead bolt.

Not to say, they could not use a key from one of the other hundred campers to possibly open it up, but that is a lot of work.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would close it up tight, and lock it. Our dealer told us, the master key only works on the door latch not the dead bolt.
X-2 Dealer master will not unlock the deadbolt. I've been reminded numerous times, even at the factory service center, "Do not lock the dead bolt", when dropping our units off for work.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

Nice Sundancer, Maybe if you found, cigarette buts, an empty bag of doritos, condem wrapper and worse a womens used tampon in your camper under the fold down couch. I bet you would worry about it. It was GROOSE. And it was not a flat pad but the other type. So yes I think about it. Just so you know what we found. Not trying to be mean just saying

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #11

Unless they were doing work on the interior, I would lock both locks. If they need to get inside for any reason and couldn't, they would call and ask for you to come and unlock it. Then you ask "Why?" And they will have to tell you. That way if anything is amiss, then both of you know that they've had access to the inside, and they are now responsible for it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #12

Maybe all that was work related... for one of the parties...

Sorry, @Donedroolin. I agree it is more than a little disturbing, but I couldn't resist the line.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
Nice Sundancer, Maybe if you found, cigarette buts, an empty bag of doritos, condem wrapper and worse a womens used tampon in your camper under the fold down couch. I bet you would worry about it. It was GROOSE. And it was not a flat pad but the other type. So yes I think about it. Just so you know what we found. Not trying to be mean just saying
I would be looking for a new service center
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
I would be looking for a new service center
I'm conflicted on this one myself. I mean if I was still single. I'm sensing both risks and opportunities.

On a serious note, I'd take pictures if that were to ever happen and the dealer would be giving my camper an end to end detail - free, or I'd take my camera roll to the local news. That is really nasty and the way society is today, you can be guaranteed that story would get air time. Shoot, I'd park my camper there for a few weeks and just fill it with web cams and pay the thing off when all is said and done. Granted, I'd never want to sleep in it again... trade offs...

And for the first time this year, I'm saying ' I think we've derailed this thread enough '/ but seriously... gross.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #15

Yea It was bad, and that dealer is no longer in business. It was Campers Barn in Kingston, NY. I will defiantly be locking my camper. They should have no reason to enter my camper. They will be painting the front cap. I will make sure the dealership knows I do not want anyone in our camper. I don't know but you just cant trust people and it is really to bad the world we live in now.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Yikes. You had every reason to be upset.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #17

I was at camping world last week looking at new campers and we had questions about different options and the sales man said we don't have one on the lot with those options, but we have one being serviced so lets look in that one. He took us in a owned unit...and he said that is the beauty of having keys to everything.
Alaskajimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajimd View Post
I was at camping world last week looking at new campers and we had questions about different options and the sales man said we don't have one on the lot with those options, but we have one being serviced so lets look in that one. He took us in a owned unit...and he said that is the beauty of having keys to everything.
I would have politely thanked him for letting me know what a jerks he and his employer were and walked off.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #19

Yes that is not cool entering Somone's camper. Wonder if deadbolt was locked. That is just wrong in so many ways. We still don't wear our shoes in our camper

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes that is not cool entering Somone's camper. Wonder if deadbolt was locked. That is just wrong in so many ways. We still don't wear our shoes in our camper
I can understand your issues with the original complaint, but you don't wear shoes in the TT? That doesn't compute for me. There is no way that I would take my shoes off every time I went in and out of my trailer when camping. It takes all of about a minute to sweep the floor, less time than it takes to change into and out of my shoes. After all, I'm camping - a little dirt is part of the experience.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote