Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #1

Long Trip Planning Advice

Later this year my wife and I will be making our first very long trip. We live in Memphis and will be going west to CA and then north to Seattle area then back. Plan on being out for 3-4 weeks. All of our trips to date have been 2-3 night stays not far from home and one long trip (600 miles away) to a very familiar area. We've started making some plans on route and have found simply searching the internet for camp sites with full hookups very difficult. I have the KOA app and one called Park Advisor that seems very promising for giving good info on possible campsites along the way.

Would appreciate any input on apps or even web sites that will help with the logistics for a long trip out west. We want to book our stops in advance so getting good info, ratings, pictures, etc for possible sites is a big help.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #2

We use the Good Sam app for trip planning as well as the website. We also use the RV Parky app to find Walmarts that allow overnight stays, but this means packing generators for electric and AC use as well as water if needed. Another app we use is Sanidumps app to identify dump stations along the way.

We have yet to take a long extended trip like yours, but I feel informed with these apps and plan my trips around campgrounds and Walmarts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #3

RV Trip PLanner is what we use. Gives us all the camping options, private, state, fed, etc.. What I really like about it is you can adjust the preferences to what you want and the fact that if you say want to travel 200 miles or 4 hours a day, it adds a red circle around your last campground to show you where that distance or time will put you. Now you can look for a CG in that area. Has a few limits like they all do, but I have tried pretty much all of them and this seems to fit the bill for us. There is a annual cost of $39, but I find it well worth it.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

We have iPads and use an app by Allstays called camp & rv. It has everything we could want. Walmart, Cracker Barrel's, Truck Stops, Camp Grounds. And a whole lot more. It gives you their distances from where ever you are. We really love it and use it all the time. Cost $10.00

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Another vote for Allstays. It's my go-to source for CG's, fuel stops and the like. Wish it had route/distance planning like "RV Trip". I think $40/yr is a bit steep but I'm sure it's a good tool.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

I like this site to decide where to stop for the night and then use the Good Sam Trip Planner to schedule gas and other stops along the way.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

My 2 most used websites are:

Recreation.gov for federal campgrounds

ReserveAmerica for State parks

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

May I suggest that you order the California & Oregon mile by mile magazine for your West Coast adventure. Their just loaded with info needed to make good use of your time on the road. Visit the farmers markets along the way for the best of the best produce and real eggs with that orange yoke from a real free range chicken. Dates for the food, wine & beer plus seafood festivals along the way.
All of the Oregon Coast is public so it's yours for you to enjoy driving up the coast. Very important is to drive around San Francisco on a Sunday only as the traffic is very heavy and if your in the wrong lane it's not easy to move over. The California Coast is another must see and the Redwoods are unforgettable.
Enjoy your trip and ( you need more time) as you'll realize once you get there.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

I travel with iexit app. Free app that has you plug in your highway and direction. Lets you know what is near the upcoming exits rather than a radius around your current position. You can easily see for example, that the next exit has very little, but 2 exits down has all kinds of gas stations, restaurants, etc.

Not great for picking spots any distance from the exits, but great resource as you drive.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Somewhat duplicating what others have already stated, but there isn't a single tool available to us that does everything, so we use several:

This (and other) forums, once we have an idea of location to ask for recomendations

Allstays app on Android - we use mostly for overnight stop locations

Iexit app on Android (used to be Next Exit) shows what is at each exit by mile marker and rest stops, not 100% accurate, but reasonably accurate.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks - I find this to be quite helpful. Make sure you read some of the reviews if the ratings are low. I've found poor rated campgrounds that we liked. They were rated low due to poor wifi, not enough kids activities, dirt roads and other things that we don't see as deal breakers.

And sometimes I resort to searching Campgrounds on Google Maps.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. Will certainly help us plan our route and stops. We are not long haul drivers and don't intend to have pedal to metal for 6-8 hours a day to make time. There may be some long drive days but intent is to enjoy the trip in shorter hops, which means more stops and campsites needed.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #12

Others have covered the trip planning tools I use, except for Microsoft's Streets and Trips, which they stopped selling in 2013. Good route planner, if you can find a copy, and don't mind if it is a little old as far as info.

As far as the trip - we've done a few that big now. You'll have to prioritize, of course. At almost all popular places you will need reservations. Pretty much gone are the days of just waiting until the day before to find a spot - especially National Parks, the CA and OR coasts, etc. Budget at least 3 days for each big deal spot. Some may only warrant 2 days, but you'll need camp days for laundry, grocery shopping, etc. And you'll quickly appreciate not having to break down/setup as frequently. Of course, there will be several road days, where overnights are all that is needed. And if going through non-destination areas, then you can do those without reservations.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #13

We are KOA people. We have had great experiences with them for over 20 years - have only been disappointed a few times, and we've been in over 70 all over the U.S. Two years ago we traveled extensively in California and then up through Oregon to Washington. We could go as far or as short a distance as we wanted and could still find a KOA along the way. Their directories are free at any KOA or can be found on-line. A couple of times we stayed at Walmart. We really like staying at Cracker Barrels to fill the gap, but there aren't any on the west coast. We were gone for 47 days (late August and September) and had a great time. We aren't "reservations" people, so for the most part, we made our reservations as we traveled in case we decided to stay in a particular place a little longer. We did have to reserve ahead of time on Labor Day. Enjoy your trip.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
I like this site to decide where to stop for the night...

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
X2. Very helpful.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #15

Next Exit for availability of gas and restaurants.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #16

Figure out how far you feel comfortable driving while towing and plan your stops in advance. Make reservations as campsites can fill up quickly without notice. I would advise against stopping overnight at a Walmart if you need a good nights sleep, as they have delivery trucks coming and going all night.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #17

We usually do not prebook campgrounds far in advance though with KOA if we can't get there we just lose one night camping fee.

About eleven in the morning we make a best estimate of what is easily reachable by four and call in a reservation.. But we do not do that in tourist areas. We are not picky when overnighting re amenities as sometimes we don't even unhook so that may play into your consideration.
So far after about 20,000 miles ( all but 500 miles) long distance touring we have avoided Wal Mart and Cracker Barrel and truck stops.
Don't overlook county parks if there are any in California..
They are a godsend in Florida.. Rarely full during FL tourist season. No amenities though

Can't speak too much to your area so I am reading too as we plan to go to Oregon (Crater Lake)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 PM   #18

I've been testing some of the apps suggestions, some I already have and have used. The KOA app and Park Advisor I've used and like.

Interesting thing I've been noticing - we live in TN and within a 2-3 hour drive from home there are many many choices for state and national parks with full hookups, nice spaces and lots of room, lakes, etc. Our end point for the trip is in WA state and I've been surprised (disappointed actually) at how few options there are. Very few parks that are TT friendly. Lots of options for tent camping and hiking, etc but very few options for what we need. Maybe I'm missing something in my search. Folks there are all about nature, outdoors and camping so surprised there aren't more TT options. Maybe they all tent camp up there.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
I've been testing some of the apps suggestions, some I already have and have used. The KOA app and Park Advisor I've used and like.

Interesting thing I've been noticing - we live in TN and within a 2-3 hour drive from home there are many many choices for state and national parks with full hookups, nice spaces and lots of room, lakes, etc. Our end point for the trip is in WA state and I've been surprised (disappointed actually) at how few options there are. Very few parks that are TT friendly. Lots of options for tent camping and hiking, etc but very few options for what we need. Maybe I'm missing something in my search. Folks there are all about nature, outdoors and camping so surprised there aren't more TT options. Maybe they all tent camp up there.
You've been spoiled. The TN and KY state parks are the nicest we've seen.
In CT we can't keep the rest areas open.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #20

Or coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
May I suggest that you order the California & Oregon mile by mile magazine for your West Coast adventure. Their just loaded with info needed to make good use of your time on the road. Visit the farmers markets along the way for the best of the best produce and real eggs with that orange yoke from a real free range chicken. Dates for the food, wine & beer plus seafood festivals along the way.
All of the Oregon Coast is public so it's yours for you to enjoy driving up the coast. Very important is to drive around San Francisco on a Sunday only as the traffic is very heavy and if your in the wrong lane it's not easy to move over. The California Coast is another must see and the Redwoods are unforgettable.
Enjoy your trip and ( you need more time) as you'll realize once you get there.
Unsure when "Tunce.." drove the OR coast, and perhaps it is "public" for access, but don't infer it's permissible to park (especially an RV) anywhere. Strongly suggest you check that nuance out before just pulling up on any old beach.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote