Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Looking for Advice - Choosing a TT for a Family of 5

Hello everyone. We are currently in the market for a new travel trailer after selling our pop-up. Next year we will be spending a lot of time in our trailer (parked in our yard) while we taken on a major house renovation and completely gut our kitchen. We have three children (ages 8, 5, and 6 months). After next summer's big remodeling project, we would like to use our trailer to tour the country, specifically out west.

We're torn between the Jayflight 32bhds and the Jayflight 28BHBE or something similar.

Right now we have a 1/2 ton 2009 Silverado, but we will be upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck after our remodel project is finished.

Does anyone have advice on which one to choose? Prices seem comparable (within a few thousand).

Thank you!
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Are you planning to do any towing with the 1/2 ton Silverado?
If not then plan on a TT that is within the weight range of the 3/4 ton TV
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

If we do tow with the 1/2 ton, it will be local (within 45 miles) and we can take our Yukon and put our camping supplies in there if need be.

I'm just struggling to figure out if we want that extra bunk room with the 32bhds or if we'd be content with the double bunks in the main area with one of the smaller trailers.

We have visited dealers and have all been in both layouts. The kids obviously prefer the separate room, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm hoping someone with some life experience who has been there done that, could give me some feedback.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #4

We also have 3 kids with about the same age range as you (11, 9, 4). We purchased the 29L, which has a separate bunk room with individual bunks. We are also planning to go out west on a cross country trip and felt it was best for each of our children to have their own space, no matter how small it is, since we are all going to be together for the better part of 2 months. With that said, I would not even begin to attempt a town of something that size without a 3/4 ton. I have also been finding that getting into some of the national parks is going to be a little tricky with our camper, and the 32DBDS is I think 4 feet longer.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #5

We love our 28BHBE. But with 3 kids, I think you'll like the 32BHDS better. We only have one child, with a maximum potential of 2 children, so the double-over-double bunk works for us. With three kids though, you'll enjoy having dedicated sleeping space for each of them. That was and is one of the deal breakers for us when we're considering a floor plan. Does each normal occupant have their own, dedicated sleeping space? If the answer is "no", the option is off the table.

I don't care for the outside kitchen, but again, that's a personal decision. I like the way the 32BHDS master bedroom is configured over the 28BHBE. We just recently removed part of the wall in our trailer to increase air flow and make it easier for me to get to my side of the bed without doing acrobatics. The shower in the 28 is absolutely phenomenal; we LOVE it. It was one of the top 5 factors that led us to that floorplan.

Just about any 3/4T truck on the market will handle the 32BHDS unless you're carrying a lot of gear in the truck. Gas models will have higher payload ratings (the diesel motor is HEAVY), but won't tow quite as well as a diesel. That will be a personal decision for your family based on your usage and needs. If you're towing a lot, and you take along a lot of "stuff" (toys), a diesel 1T might be what you want. For us, a gas 3/4T (I have the Ram, but that doesn't matter, any of the big 3 will likely do) offers plenty of what we need. A diesel just doesn't make sense for us for the amount we travel.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Thank you for the great posts. I appreciate all feedback.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the kids sharing sleeping spaces right now, as they prefer to sleep together anyway. Down the road though, it could be an issue.

I hadn't looked at the Jay Feathers at all, but like that 29L layout. I'm going to look into that further.

Thank you!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #7

We absolutely love our 29L. Tows light, has more storage than we can fill, and gives everyone their own space. I wish the slide was a bit deeper and the gray tank larger, but those are minor complaints. The shallow slide allows us to comfortably use the camper for lunch stops/bathroom breaks and sleeping in a Walmart parking lot (which is quite an experience with 3 young daughters!) so I guess it's a double-edged sword.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

First: floorplan: Make sure there is enough room for everybody, especially the kid's friends that may get invited along in the not-to-distant future.
Second: Appliances: Find a TT that is equipped the way you plan of using it. Big fridge? Residential vs. gas. Oven + stove or stove only. Adequate water heater. Large enough water tanks, etc.
Third: What'll it take to tow it.
Start shopping early. Get everyone's input. Look, photograph important details (good AND bad) discuss! Discuss! Discuss!
Don't sign anything at your first visit to the dealer unless it is EXACTLY what you all want.
Any and all compromises you have to make will cost the dealer!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

We have the 32BHDS, with two kids. We love it.

It is a roomy trailer so we can accommodate guests. We have traveled extensively with the trailer. Are there some spots we could not fit in, yes, a few, but we do our research and have stayed in no less than 13 national parks.

We love having two wooden doors, one between the master bedroom and one leading to the bunkhouse. Cuts down on noise, especially when someone is snoring. My favorite option, the outdoor kitchen. This is camping, why not cook outdoors????

Enjoy whatever you choose.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wed100105 View Post
Hello everyone. We are currently in the market for a new travel trailer after selling our pop-up. Next year we will be spending a lot of time in our trailer (parked in our yard) while we taken on a major house renovation and completely gut our kitchen. We have three children (ages 8, 5, and 6 months). After next summer's big remodeling project, we would like to use our trailer to tour the country, specifically out west.

We're torn between the Jayflight 32bhds and the Jayflight 28BHBE or something similar.

Right now we have a 1/2 ton 2009 Silverado, but we will be upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck after our remodel project is finished.

Does anyone have advice on which one to choose? Prices seem comparable (within a few thousand).

Thank you!
I would lean towards the 32 with 3 kids, and since you will have the 3/4 ton truck. We considered it, ended up going with the 29BHDS. A few things to consider that we did (and now that we learned after buying)

-Where are you going to camp, the 28BHBE/29BHDS will be right at 34-35 feet total length which is the limit for a lot of older campgrounds, especially national parks.
-Where are you going to store it, there may be an up-charge for over 35 feet if not at home
-Compare your tank sizes if you plan to not have sewer when camping sometimes, a family of 5 will fill those things QUICK
-We found we are actually outside more than we are in the camper. This makes me not regret not getting the back room at all
-Outside Kitchen is useful and makes it so my previous point is even more so, you go in for major meal prep perhaps, but drinks, etc are all refrigerated outside
-Consider at least wiring for a second AC, if you are in very hot weather, you may want it, more so in the longer unit.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #11

Hello, I have 4 kids (3 boys 1 girl)
I also have the bunk room. I strongly suggest the bunk room simply for a touch more privacy for getting dressed ect.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #12

You've already done the first step by doing online research before visiting a dealer. However, don't limit yourself to the trailers you've picked online. Tell your salesperson what you will be doing with the trailer and get some feedback from them. If they really care about their customers, they may have some new ideas for you. Good dealers/salespeople want you to be happy with your purchase so you'll tell others. If your not happy you'll tell way more people than if you are. I like to deal with salespeople that actually use the product. Ask the salesperson if they own a camper. If they say yes, ask them where they camp. If they can't name a place right away, they probably lied to you about owning a camper. Then at least you'll know who you're dealing with. Ask them about their trailer, what do they like, what don't they like? How does it work for their situation?

First visit, when shopping for a trailer, leave the kids with a sitter. This will let you concentrate on each trailer and allow for peaceful discussion between spouses. Print a list of items you will want to have in the trailer during the remodel and also a list of things you'll want to take on the road. Then determine where you might put store them in the trailer. Ask yourself if there is ample storage for your needs. Admittedly some of us carry way more then we could ever need. I agree with the comment to not buy on your first visit but I would add that you should get realistic (not MSRP) prices from the dealer.

Second visit, take the kids back with you and get their feedback. Sounds strange to ask a young child for input, but they are going to see the trailer from a different perspective. Watch them explore the trailer. Their behavior will give you some insight as to what issues you might have once you own the trailer (i.e. what are they getting into, can they get into the beds, what closest can they open...). This will take time because they will be excited and will like anything you show them. You will have to control their enthusiasm. I wouldn't sign this visit either but I'd use it to whittle the price down some. You should be able to get an idea on how willing the dealer is to negotiate.

Go home and discuss again with the spouse. Pros v. Cons. Does the dealer have what you want or will you have to order a unit? If you order you will need to give yourself some time for the order, build and delivery. Then do some research online. Can you get a better price from one of the big online dealers? Are any of them close enough to go get the trailer with your current tow vehicle?

Finally, go back to the dealer without the children. This will give you the opportunity to ask questions and negotiate the final price and details without having to keep the kids entertained. It will be way less stressful for everyone involved, including the kids.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmeaux12 View Post
Hello, I have 4 kids (3 boys 1 girl)
I also have the bunk room. I strongly suggest the bunk room simply for a touch more privacy for getting dressed ect.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that as we are still pretty open now with our kids being so young.

Ugh--decisions. We found and put in a low offer on a 28BHBE yesterday. I expect that the dealership will counter-offer. I just hesitate to get the extra bunk room with the 32BHDS and have such a long trailer. The kids would love the extra space though.

I thought we had a 32BHDS lined up, but it was sold the day before I called. It would have been perfect; it was a 2013 with an outdoor kitchen, which I could see the value of with the 3 kids. It sold for $14,000, which was right in our desired price range.

We live in Central Il, and there are a few dealerships nearby, but not a lot. One dealership that we really liked (the closest to us) told us that he would have a lot more inventory in the spring. It just seems like the Jay Flights sell very quickly.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
You've already done the first step by doing online research before visiting a dealer. However, don't limit yourself to the trailers you've picked online. Tell your salesperson what you will be doing with the trailer and get some feedback from them. If they really care about their customers, they may have some new ideas for you. Good dealers/salespeople want you to be happy with your purchase so you'll tell others. If your not happy you'll tell way more people than if you are. I like to deal with salespeople that actually use the product. Ask the salesperson if they own a camper. If they say yes, ask them where they camp. If they can't name a place right away, they probably lied to you about owning a camper. Then at least you'll know who you're dealing with. Ask them about their trailer, what do they like, what don't they like? How does it work for their situation?

First visit, when shopping for a trailer, leave the kids with a sitter. This will let you concentrate on each trailer and allow for peaceful discussion between spouses. Print a list of items you will want to have in the trailer during the remodel and also a list of things you'll want to take on the road. Then determine where you might put store them in the trailer. Ask yourself if there is ample storage for your needs. Admittedly some of us carry way more then we could ever need. I agree with the comment to not buy on your first visit but I would add that you should get realistic (not MSRP) prices from the dealer.

Second visit, take the kids back with you and get their feedback. Sounds strange to ask a young child for input, but they are going to see the trailer from a different perspective. Watch them explore the trailer. Their behavior will give you some insight as to what issues you might have once you own the trailer (i.e. what are they getting into, can they get into the beds, what closest can they open...). This will take time because they will be excited and will like anything you show them. You will have to control their enthusiasm. I wouldn't sign this visit either but I'd use it to whittle the price down some. You should be able to get an idea on how willing the dealer is to negotiate.

Go home and discuss again with the spouse. Pros v. Cons. Does the dealer have what you want or will you have to order a unit? If you order you will need to give yourself some time for the order, build and delivery. Then do some research online. Can you get a better price from one of the big online dealers? Are any of them close enough to go get the trailer with your current tow vehicle?

Finally, go back to the dealer without the children. This will give you the opportunity to ask questions and negotiate the final price and details without having to keep the kids entertained. It will be way less stressful for everyone involved, including the kids.
Thank you for this thoughtful reply. We actually did the first two items that you mentioned; now we are in stage 3 and trying to make a decision. I really appreciate your time and expertise. Thank you for replying.

I think we have figured out that used is the way to go for us. We priced a few new trailers and year-end close-outs. It's just to easy for us to jump from $10,000 to $15,000 (our new desired price), too $20,000! We are going to be using part of our remodel money for this trailer, so we need to reign ourselves in a bit!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

We have 3 kids and find the dedicated Bunk Room to be essential. Since you appear to be shopping used units, very smart IMO, I would strongly suggest getting the 32BHDS. You will appreciate the space while living in it during the remodel. After the remodel is complete, if you find the 32 a bit to long sell it and get a BHBE. Since buying used, you won't have the major depreciation that buying new sets up. This way you can have the best of both worlds.

Also, since you are shopping used, maybe look for a 29QBH/QBS depending on year, we find it a nice compromise between the units you have identified. Ours has a dedicated bunk room, but still comes in at 33' hitch to bumper.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #16

By the way, I suggest focusing a used search on private party sales. Dealerships often price used units artificially high so that they can up sell more new units. There are lot and lots of folks who either realize very quickly they bought the wrong trailer or simply aren't campers after all that would rather cut there losses selling private party than taking the huge hit trading in or attempting to sell back to a dealership. It will take a little more time, but it's well worth it if you have the time.

We have both bought and sold RVs on Craigslist very successfully.

Lastly, IMO, NADA values are very high. Take your time, kick lots of tires, and you will find the perfect unit at the right price.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

We love our 28BHBE - we are a family of 6. The 2 of us and our 4 children the youngest being 16. The older 3 will camp with us on occasion, the 16 year old is every time and she brings at least 1 friend but usually 2 or sometimes 3. We never feel cramped, and everyone sleeps comfortably. The trailer tows very well behind my well equipped F150 although I will likely upgrade to an F250 in the future.

Bottom line is the 28BHBE floor plan works perfectly for us.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
We love our 28BHBE - we are a family of 6. The 2 of us and our 4 children the youngest being 16. The older 3 will camp with us on occasion, the 16 year old is every time and she brings at least 1 friend but usually 2 or sometimes 3. We never feel cramped, and everyone sleeps comfortably. The trailer tows very well behind my well equipped F150 although I will likely upgrade to an F250 in the future.

Bottom line is the 28BHBE floor plan works perfectly for us.

Thank you, this post helps a lot!

We didn't get the 28BHBE; the dealer was asking more than I wanted to spend on it. Back to the drawing board...
Old 10-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #19

Don't be afraid of the big trailer, the 32BHDS.

My 32BHDS was my first trailer. My F250 was my first truck.

I had never towed before taking the plunge.

Yes, it was scary the first few times. Backing up is a skill, it takes practice.

But let me tell you, at the end of the long towing day, or any day, when you have that nice big trailer, and all the space, it is a pleasure!

Enjoy whatever choice you make.

Ensign.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 AM   #20

Depending on just how much time you will be spending in the tt during the remodel, having the extra room of the 32 may be needed.

Since you are looking at used, depending on how old you are considering, Jayco had a 31 BHS (may have been a BHDS) before the 32 BHDS. Little shorter than the 32, does not have the direct bathroom entrance, the outside kitchen, or the third bunk, but has a small bunk room with a slide as well as a dinette and couch slide in the "living room" if I remember correctly. Maybe this would work for you guys if you could find one???

Will try to find one online for reference. Here is the floor plans showing the 31 BHDS. Almost 2' shorter than the 32, but due to age may be harder to find one in good condition.

Good luck in your search!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse