Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I came very close to buying one of those but just decided I really didn't need the outside kitchen and kitchen slide. To each his own... I'm quite happy with the one I got.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
Thanks for the input!

We have 2 TVs - 2004 F150 FX4 super cab, 6.5' box, 5.4L, 3.73 gears, 68,000 miles and a 2002 F350 super cab, 8' box, dually, 4X4, 7.3L diesel, 4.10 gears, 90,000 miles. The F150 is my "personal" truck and what we use 95% of the time, most of our trips are around 60 miles from home. On longer trips I take the F350, but its a PITA unloading tools/supplys from the bed, loading it for camping, then reloading with tools again once we get home - putting the car seat in/out - ect, for just a quick weekend trip.

So since I use the F150 for towing the camper so much, that is the reason I am limited to a camper GVW of under 10000 lbs.
The limiting factor of the F150 will be the trucks payload. Best thing to do is if you have a scale near you, load up the family and anything you anticipate hauling in the truck bed (cooler(s), bikes, firewood, etc) and go weigh the truck. This will tell you the available payload left (trucks gvwr - actual scaled weight) for the wdh and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight).

The other limiting factor will probably be your trucks receiver hitch on the 150.

Look at getting a good wdh w/ integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good models for the price. The Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride are even better, but have the price tag to go with. The other down side is they are heavy, which eats more payload.

Good luck trailer shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Completely agree with the OP on the Keystone and Forest River products. Understanding that all trailers have build and material issues, we found the Jayco models to be a bit more solid (both in materials and fit/finish). We are satisfied with our Jay Feather 23RBM so far. It is definitely a better product than the units the OP mentioned. Keep us posted on your quest!

FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote