Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #21

F150 Tow Vehicle and Weight Distributoin Hitch

I run a 2012 F150 Super Crew Cab 4X4 which I specked out and ordered new, with HD Suspension, Max Towing Package, Increased Cooling, 373 rear end and 6.2 Liter V8. We tow a 2914 Jayco Eagle 266 RKS having a GVW of 8500 lbs. with a 900 lbs. tongue weight. Unfortunately you can no longer get the 6.2 Liter in a F150. This F150 spec combination is the ultimate F150 tow vehicle. In May and June 2016 we completed a 6000 mile trip West, navigating 7 and 10 % up and down hill grades. This vehicles performance was outstanding and we had no shortage of power in the higher elevations (9500 ft.). Engine braking on steep grades was very good with minimal brake application. Discussions with other F150 owners running Eco Boost engines in their 2014 thru 2016 trucks, towing trailers stated they had reasonable hill climbing power, but had very low engine braking with the Eco Boost engine and were on the brakes almost full time while running down 7 and 10 % grades.
I use a 12000 LBS Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar Hitch with Cam Locks and 1200 lbs. tension bars. This hitch and cam lock system gives excellent sway control in high cross winds as well as highway travel. The trailer came with D load range tires which I changed out for E load range 10 ply tires. This hitch and tire combination have contributed to the excellent sway control of this towing combination.
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #22

6.2 liter that's awesome I have the Eco-Boost V6 and I have no problems with tow power going over the cascade mountains here in Wa and Stevens Pass has a long steep descent which I just allow the down hill decent control take over and the engine braking works great. I can set at 20 mph and just coast down the hill. Now that's with about 6900lb loaded trailer. Not sure what would it do with a 8500lb TT. However if I ever go any bigger on the TT the truck is getting bigger too, but I have many years of memories still to make with the one I just bought. Hoping to get 6-7 good years out of her before I even think about swapping her out. I'm talking about the trailer not the wife...lol

Happy camping - good job on the long trip! We are planning a complete western USA trip stopping off at Disneyland, Grand Canyon, and heading up through Utah going back home to Seattle. Hope our trip goes as good as yours.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
6.2 liter that's awesome I have the Eco-Boost V6 and I have no problems with tow power going over the cascade mountains here in Wa and Stevens Pass has a long steep descent which I just allow the down hill decent control take over and the engine braking works great. I can set at 20 mph and just coast down the hill. Now that's with about 6900lb loaded trailer. Not sure what would it do with a 8500lb TT. However if I ever go any bigger on the TT the truck is getting bigger too, but I have many years of memories still to make with the one I just bought. Hoping to get 6-7 good years out of her before I even think about swapping her out. I'm talking about the trailer not the wife...lol

Happy camping - good job on the long trip! We are planning a complete western USA trip stopping off at Disneyland, Grand Canyon, and heading up through Utah going back home to Seattle. Hope our trip goes as good as yours.

What type of TT and WDH do you have?
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
What type of TT and WDH do you have?
I have all my info on page 2 of this thread.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 AM   #25

I have been using an Equal-i-zer Hitch also.
I have used it on 2 different trucks.
Fantastic results!
Going head to head with tractor-trailer semi's on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel my rig didn't flinch.
When they pass me, or I them, its smooth and clean with no sway.
The only problem is that they can get a little creaky loud when you don't grease them up.
edburman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #26

Tow Setup

I use to tow a 27' Terry with a Dodge 1500. It towed really well, but I take my golf car whenever we go to the beach, so I upgraded to a Dodge 2500 HD with the HEMI. World of difference. My wife wanted more room, so we upgraded to a 35 footer, crossing the scales at 9,000 lbs. I had them install a Reese Dual Cam anti-sway set up. In 12 years of towing, I have not had even a hint of sway. With the friction anti sway setup, having an 18 wheeler pass could make me cringe. Not so with the Dual Cam setup.Rock solid. Last year we traded in our 35 footer for a Jayco X20E Hybrid. I kept the Dual Cam setup. I told my wife I was going to have to make a sign for my sun visor telling me I was towing the camper. I can't tell it's back there.
There may be a better WD setup out there, but the Dual Cam is fantastic. Towing with a 2500 instead of a 1500 is so much better, words can't describe it.
The moral to this story is that it's much better to have more truck than you need, and friction anti sway devices are worthless.
Joe Sigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sigmon View Post
Friction anti sway devices are worthless.
I have to disagree with that part, but to each his own as they say. A substantial majority of people here are happy with their 'friction based' anti sway setups. I guess I'd be one of them. Fully agree with the rest of your post though.

P.S. Welcome to the group!
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #28

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sigmon View Post
snip...
The moral to this story is that it's much better to have more truck than you need (agree), and friction anti sway devices are worthless.(disagree)
[QUOTE=bansai;468754]snip...A substantial majority of people here are happy with their 'friction based' anti sway setups. I guess I'd be one of them. (and I'm another one)..snip/QUOTE]
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote