Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Looking for set-up advice

New to the site. My wife and I just purchased a 2017 White Hawk 27DSRL to accompany our 2016 Ford F-150, 3.5 ecoboost, max tow, 4x4. First trip was local this past weekend. Absolutely love the TT. I am interested in knowing how others have their F150's set up as far as the type of WDH, suspension, tires, etc. there is a lot of expertise out there and I would love to glean some from the experts. Thanks in advance.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

I have a 2016 F150 Platinum with 3.5 Eco, max tow, Fx4. I use the E2 WD hitch. We have a 265RLSW which is 6,100 empty, tongue weight of 800lbs. We've traveled about 2,500 miles so far and all is fine. The 3.5 Eco has no problem pulling the trailer. Plenty of power for hills and tows at freeway speed easily. No special changes or mods to the truck. I went through an ordeal with my previous truck (2014 F150 Platinum) and ended up upgrading to the 2016 model due to payload capacity. A common issue with many 1/2 ton trucks. Plenty of towing capacity but limited payload capacity. Might want to check the sticker insider your driver side door jamb and make sure that your trailer tongue weight, plus you and family and hitch and whatever else you load into the truck and trailer are still within the limits on the sticker. My previous truck did not have enough payload capacity. Didn't realize it until I began to experience some serious front end drift even with the WD hitch set up properly.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The sticker says we can put 1825 lbs. of weight. Having weighed the truck with the 2 of us, full gas tanks, hitch, and misc. stuff, we have 1200 lbs. left over. Figuring 750 - 900 pounds of tongue weight leaves us about 300 pounds shy. We also will be below GAWR. Still deciding on a different WDH.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

I can't say enough positive things about my Equal-i-zer Hitch. I purchased it and set it up myself and for me that is the way to go. I called Equal-i-zer with some questions about the size I needed and and some setup and they are GREAT to work with - Made in the USA. By setting it up yourself you totally understand how it works so when it comes to fine-tune it on a rare occasion you know what to do.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

I have a 2013 F150 eco pulling a Jayflight 26RKS. As mentioned previously the truck has plenty of pulling power, I am very close on payload, but still under the limit provided that I prepack the trailer.

I did have some problems with the combination being squirrelly. I upgraded the hitch to a heavier equalizer with larger bars and also upgraded the tires from Passenger to Light Truck. Both changes made a world of difference. 5,400 towing miles so far this year.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

My wife and I purchased a 2017 27DSRL this year. We had an 2013 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 LB Max tow and the works. Thought we wouldn't have a problem but...the payload was only 1477 lbs. The new TT had a dry weight of 6380 ibs. which put the tongue wt. around 950 before adding our normal stuff. Couldn't put much else in the truck and still have a good feeling about pushing the limits so I went with a bigger truck. BTW I have an Equal-i-zer hitch and love it.
Max Tow Pkg. 6.7 diesel

jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
snip...... I am interested in knowing how others have their F150's set up as far as the type of WDH, suspension, tires, etc......snip
Welcome to JOF

To learn how well your TV/TT combination stacks up a trip to your local CAT scale under loaded conditions will provide you with a wealth of good information.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #8

Hitch

We use the Blue Ox and love it we have a Jay Flight 27RLS. We tow it with a 2015 F150 8cy with tow package. We live in the Appalachian Mountains and we have no problems. It is often windy at this level and we have no swaying of the trailer. FYI - Watch a video of hooking up the Blue Ox and it helps so much.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

Same set up

2016 27dsrl (really love the layout for couples coach and a 2013 F150 Eco boost with E2 Equalizer WD hitch with stabilizing bars. Pulls great even up steep grades and no sway. Only wish gas mileage was double digit when towing (about 9 mpg) but it makes up when unhitched 18 in town and 21 highway.
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

I pull a 28BHBE with my 2016 F150 - 3.5 Ecoboost. I only have the Heavy Duty Tow Package but I have a 2003 pound payload.

I use and love my Equalizer with 4 point sway control. I have virtually no sway issues. It did take me a few tries to get the hitch dialed in correctly.

I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension which helped tremendously with some up and down "porpoising" I was experiencing.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

I towed 28bhbe with F150 ecoboost. I used equalizer which also took a little trial/error to get dialed in. I also used Roadmaster Active Suspension. After several months I removed the RAS because of some squeaking that occurred going over bumps.

I ended up getting rid of the F150, but prior to that I was looking into getting LT tires and airbags. I was never totally comfortable towing that size camper with the half ton truck.

I've ridden in a half ton with airbags & WDH. Towing was kinda bouncy with 7,500lb travel trailer in tow.

If you find yourself searching for modifications to improve the towing, in my opinion you may never find with the half ton tow vehicle. The truck is very capable, no doubt. If you seek to modify to improve towing, I would seriously look into LT tires. After that folks are probably split between air bags and RAS. Either is a reasonable option.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
I towed 28bhbe with F150 ecoboost. I used equalizer which also took a little trial/error to get dialed in. I also used Roadmaster Active Suspension. After several months I removed the RAS because of some squeaking that occurred going over bumps.

I ended up getting rid of the F150, but prior to that I was looking into getting LT tires and airbags. I was never totally comfortable towing that size camper with the half ton truck.

I've ridden in a half ton with airbags & WDH. Towing was kinda bouncy with 7,500lb travel trailer in tow.

If you find yourself searching for modifications to improve the towing, in my opinion you may never find with the half ton tow vehicle. The truck is very capable, no doubt. If you seek to modify to improve towing, I would seriously look into LT tires. After that folks are probably split between air bags and RAS. Either is a reasonable option.
Although I have no issues with my setup, I would be lying if I said I didn't want more truck. I will eventually upgrade to an F250 / 350 but for now I need to run my 150 for a while.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

I ended up towing my TT home from the dealer without my equalizer on.. as it was being delivered later that evening from ups. My F150 wasn't happy. I thought a few times my front tires were about to leave the ground.. and that was just driving 25 Mph, on back roads. I knew it was going to be a little sketchy on that one and only trip without a proper hitch. I run the 10k hitch equalizer makes even if I'm only going 50 feet now. I had to adjust it very tight... i.e. lots of washers in the hitch head, l-brackets pretty high on the frame. The front end bounce is nearly gone.. measurements at the wheel wells show mission accomplished. When I upgrade my TT in 2017 or 18, I'll keep the hitch.. a 250 is really in my best interest out here, but the 150 max tow, dialed in does just fine.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

2nOZ-
Pull my 7500 TT with an F150, 5.4L, long bed, max tow package and 2405 lbs. cargo capacity, with no suspension mods. Using an Equalizer WDH and running LT tires. Upgraded TT tires to load range D, Maxxis 8008. I am completely satisfied with my set up and easily pulls over Rocky Mountains in CO and NM.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Number one on the list of priorities should be to get a good quality WD hitch dialed in properly and find out how to adjust it yourself. Dealers often do not install or adjust them properly. Even an experienced installer is working with an empty trailer and a loaded trailer will often require further adjustment. I have a Propride 3p (similar design to Hensley Arrow) and love everything about it but the price and wouldn't tow without it.

Once your hitch is dialed in and you like the looks of your leveled rig, you can install RAS, helper springs or air bags if you have some squat still. I went with air bags with air lines to rear bumper. In cab controls and compressor would have increased cost by 50%, whereas now I inflate with a small cordless air compressor while towing and deflate while not towing and ride is not affected at all.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

Thanks everyone. I was able to get my WDH dialed in a lot better by dropping it down a hole and taking up one link that put more weight on the front of the truck. This was evidenced over the weekend. I had to work so the wife took the TT to the dealer to have it winterized and a few items repaired. She pulled it in a 25 mph crosswind not noticing that the anti-sway bar was not installed. She said it towed great and found it was better yet with the anti-sway bar installed! Lol!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
Thanks everyone. I was able to get my WDH dialed in a lot better by dropping it down a hole and taking up one link that put more weight on the front of the truck. This was evidenced over the weekend. I had to work so the wife took the TT to the dealer to have it winterized and a few items repaired. She pulled it in a 25 mph crosswind not noticing that the anti-sway bar was not installed. She said it towed great and found it was better yet with the anti-sway bar installed! Lol!
I have the Re-curve R3 and I know everyone has a blue ox or equalizer but this WDH is super AWESOME!! It is slowly taking over the market but word is getting out and the new R6 model is even better with the sway that engages and dis-engages as you use it is so cool. It is fairly new to the market but it is so easy to adjust and hookup and the friction collar on it works so good.

Recurve R3 Weight Distributing Hitch - Camco

IMO - I have the fully loaded Lariat with max tow, eco-beast, tow mirrors, 157" WB, and a 1800 payload and it works great with my trailer 6800lbs loaded from the scale weight I got and even tho ford says it has a 11400lb tow capacity I wouldn't go any bigger on the trailer. I feel safe and it tows great but heck a 28 or 30' trailer just doesn't seem right with a half ton. But again that's just my opinion. Also if it wasn't my everyday truck and the wife said go for it I would of got the 350 or 3500 truck class. No brainer when you have more truck than trailer to make the ride so much smother. I had a Jeep Cherokee when towing a boat and then moved to a f150 and it was like night and day. But when I had the Jeep I would tell myself it's ok..it does fine. But what else would I say when that was all I had and could afford at the time. Just a thought lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0328.PNG  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #18

I use the Equalizer 12k hitch to tow my Jayco Eagle 304BHS. I've towed the trailer with Ford Expeditions and F150s with max tow package. I've towed the trailer from Michigan to Montana, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, North Carolina, New York, etc, without any issues once I fixed how the dealer incorrectly installed the hitch. I've heard Blue Ox works well too. But as I've had to adjust the hitch because I've had so many tow vehicles, I am very comfortable using the Equalizer hitch.
with Max Trailer Tow
Keith C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #19

I know nothing about the Equalizer Hitch. However, I have owned two Hensley Arrow hitches and was very satisfied that it eliminated sway completely. If interested, Google Hensley.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #20

Set-Up Info

I have a 2013 Ford Expedition Limited 2wd Max Tow and pull a 2015 27dsrl with a Blue Ox hitch. It took a few adjustments to the hitch to get it level with the tow vehicle but I have had it in the Rockies with no problems. We spent 24 nights out this year with 5500 miles.
Goldie50 is offline   Reply With Quote