Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Looking to upgrade to a TT. Found a 23MB and have questions

Hello all,

My wife and I went to several dealers in our area today and found a 2015 23MB that we really like that fits what we're looking for and price range.

It was just traded in and I think we're going to go back one afternoon this week after work to go through it more thoroughly. My question is what things should I be looking for on this trailer? I'm pretty sure it does not have the elite package. The website doesn't list it as such.

I like the Jayco line and when you go camping (currently in a pup) you see more Jayco TT than any others and to me there is a reason why.

I'd be pulling with a '99 F-150 4.6L. 3.55 gears. Towing specs are:
GVWR - 6,250 lbs.GCWR - 11,500 lbs.
Maxium Trailer - 6,600 lbs.

Thanks everyone for any advice they give. The past week has been overwhelming just looking and trying to figure out what we want vs. what we need along with what we want to spend.
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

I bought one used TT and had no problems, so the best I can offer is from an experience my sil had when he was a CG officer. He purchased a large 5th wheel & dually from a crooked dealer in FL when he was being transferred from Key West to Long Beach. It was later determined that it had been in Hurricane Andrew and the entire floor failed.

So I'd look for any soft spots in the floor by carefully testing as much of it as possible. Look for ceiling damage that might indicate a leak. A trip to the roof is in order. Check tires for uneven wear that might have different causes. This is stuff you'd probably do anyway. Others with more experience will have much better suggestions.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Just my opinion but you may also want to consider upgrading your TV as well. That opinion is based on past experience with a 99 expedition with 4.6 engine a 3.55 gears, towing a pup that had a dry weight about 2400 lbs.
You are looking at going from a pup to a TT that is at least double the weight of your pup.
Use your own experience from towing the pup in the western part of VA and how well it pulled the pup up those hills. Now imagine pulling twice the weight up the same hills.

If I were you I would consider something with at least a 5.4 engine with 3,73 gears.

I am not saying that your present TV won't pull the TT but an upgrade will tow it much better.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Appreciate the advice. Where we camp mostly it's roughly a 2000 ft incline but gradual. I can run 75 if I wanted no problem with the pup. I typically set cruise at 68 and let everyone pass so I'm not trying to hit the brakes and gas all the time.

Truck upgrade isn't in the plan right now. Maybe a gear change.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Just my opinion but you may also want to consider upgrading your TV as well. That opinion is based on past experience with a 99 expedition with 4.6 engine a 3.55 gears, towing a pup that had a dry weight about 2400 lbs.
You are looking at going from a pup to a TT that is at least double the weight of your pup.
Use your own experience from towing the pup in the western part of VA and how well it pulled the pup up those hills. Now imagine pulling twice the weight up the same hills.
If I were you I would consider something with at least a 5.4 engine with 3,73 gears.
I am not saying that your present TV won't pull the TT but an upgrade will tow it much better.
The TV was my first thought, but I don't like getting into that squabble where the final outcome is usually "it'll have to do."

In the OP's case, what might be a factor greater than the added weight is the added drag of the 23MB. I've pulled a much lighter TT than my current Eagle with the same TV, and MPG difference is negligible. Of course, that might be due to the fact that the dually is not being stressed by either load.

OTOH I've pulled an even heavier load on a flatbed no taller than the cap on my truck several times and gotten a mile or so better MPGs.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

As I said I am not saying the OP's TV can't tow the TT But my experience has taught me it is better to be over powered than under powered. He asked for opinions and I offered mine and was thanked for my opinion.

I would be very interested in hearing what he feels after towing the TT.

There is a huge difference between towing a pup with little frontal area as compared to the frontal area of a TT weighing twice as much.

And again my opinion is based on having the 4.6 with 3.55 rear towing a pup and a TT.
And that is why my current 2004 has the 5.4 with 3.73 I personally feel its much safer and more relaxing towing than with the 4.6

Just a comment to the OP, if you are running at 68 I would suggest that you check and see what the max speed of your tires are rated for.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
As I said I am not saying the OP's TV can't tow the TT But my experience has taught me it is better to be over powered than under powered. He asked for opinions and I offered mine and was thanked for my opinion.
I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your comments. I fully agreed with you. Like I said, I find so many of those TV questions too frustrating to get involved with anymore.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Oh no not at all. We actually stopped today and I crawled under to inspect. Did the elite series come with insulation on the bottom or did all of them? They were closed today so I spent some time combing the exterior. Being a 2015 it's not in as good condition as "I" think it should be. Then again I'm starting this process.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #9

Kantonburg, we have a 23MB that we ordered new. The Elite package on a 2015 includes (amongst other things), pull-out faucet and skylight in kitchen and sink covers, larger fresh water tank, black tank flush, etc. I can't think of what else they included, but if you go to the Jayco website, they have links to the prior model years information. Here's a quick link to their archive.
Btw, we love our Jay Flight. Can't wait to take it out again in a few weeks.
Good luck and have fun RV shopping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

While at the dealer they have a 2016 26BH Elite (all options) that we really like.

My concern at this point is towing. That model suits us perfect, but what do you guys think? Half say it pulls fine with the 4.6 and half always say go bigger.

This weighs 4700 dry. Figure 600-800 in the trailer with food and supplies. Manual says 6600 max trailer. 11,500 total.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

Something I never thought about - will a dealer let you take a towable on a test drive?
RV and Car dealers let you take cars and trucks on test drives right?
So would an RV Dealer let you hitch up a trailer and try towing it? I know the time required to set up a used hitch on a vehicle might be a problem.
I think a bigger problem would be if the dealers insurance would cover a test drive :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Kantonburg,

We pull a White Hawk 20MRB with a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.6. There are differences between our tow vehicles such as the tranny, 4 speed vs. 6 speed. The 20MRB gross is 5900. Currently, it is about 5600 loaded. The Sport Trac has ample power but what concerns me with your TV is the F150 weighs more than the Sport Trac and my GCVW is 500 pounds more than yours.

I think you can haul thr 23MB but it won't be a fast pull up hills.

Real life experience as we are currently freezing here in Arizona at 5600 feet. The trip yesterday was uphill with a good headwind most of the day and at the Continental Divide is was over 7000 feet. Only dropped it to third gear a few times and crawled at 40 mph.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Kantonburg,

We pull a White Hawk 20MRB with a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.6. There are differences between our tow vehicles such as the tranny, 4 speed vs. 6 speed. The 20MRB gross is 5900. Currently, it is about 5600 loaded. The Sport Trac has ample power but what concerns me with your TV is the F150 weighs more than the Sport Trac and my GCVW is 500 pounds more than yours.

I think you can haul thr 23MB but it won't be a fast pull up hills.

Real life experience as we are currently freezing here in Arizona at 5600 feet. The trip yesterday was uphill with a good headwind most of the day and at the Continental Divide is was over 7000 feet. Only dropped it to third gear a few times and crawled at 40 mph.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Murff
Appreciate it. I won't have nearly the climb you have. Sure I live in the Shenandoah Valley, but the interstate here isn't bad. The local KOA we like to stay is over the mountain, but I can get there in 45 minutes.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Think you'll find that while your truck will pull it, you probably won't have an ideal towing experience. Expect to go pretty slow uphills. You'll also have a harder time trying to slow your rig going down hills as the weight of the trailer will push you around.

You can help your truck out a bit by adding an auxiliary transmission cooler and making sure your brakes are in good shape. Looking at the gearing in the diff. should help out as well.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
That opinion is based on past experience with a 99 expedition with 4.6 engine a 3.55 gears, towing a pup that had a dry weight about 2400 lbs.
Thanks for your advice in the other thread (different TT). Just gathering experiences from others. Since you had a similar setup I currently have what experience did you have pulling your pup? Or are you referring to when you went to a TT you realized you needed something larger?

Thanks again