Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Looks like my roof has to be replaced - 2014 32 BHDS

Went to my dealer a few weeks ago. They were checking me in and doing an initial inspection. I was waiting with my wife by the truck when the guy disappeared. I found him on my roof. At first I thought they were really through - which they must be. Anyway, he comes down and takes me to the side by my front slide and asks if I had noticed this - piece of wood pushing really hard up on the roof from inside the roof membrane. Looks like one of the roof rafters is coming loose or is already loose. I just bought the trailer about a month before and only used it one time for 4 days, besides towing it home from CA to AZ at that time.

Anyway, I had some minor issues to be fixed before I took it home. The dealer worked with Jayco over the next couple of weeks to get the approval for the fix. The dealer called me and said I could use the trailer for my next trip and they would do the repair this month - they said just to keep an eye on it in case it popped through the roof. So far everyone has been good about this - dealer and Jayco. That makes me feel pretty good about the purchase.

The dealer said they would have to remove the entire membrane, remove the rafter or possibly rafters depending on what is found inside, and then put a new membrane back on. This leads me to a few questions:

Should I ask for an extended roof warranty? I am not trying to get anything for free, but I think that would be a reasonable request. I am not sure how that would work. Has anyone had this done in the past?

I have had some time to think about the repair and am thinking about asking for a couple of small upgrades/mods while they are up there, depending on the cost.

One would be to run two coax cables from behind the TV up to the roof, back to the rear wall up near my ladder. I have a Winegard portable satellite with two inputs and put it on the ladder mount for the most part. It would be great if there were two inputs up there. I was thinking I could do this myself, but if they are removing the membrane, it would be so simple for them to do this. I would like them to run the power cable (12v 50ft cable), but there is no real good way to run that and still have a true waterproof seal on a connector. It will be easy to just plug it into the satellite like I do now and then remove it once the satellite finds the signals.

Second would be, I would really like two or three more roof vents. I don't need them to have fans, and don't really need them, but having them would be a nice addition. I would like one in the front bedroom and two in the main living room. There are not roof vents in those locations.

I am a little nervous at the moment that this has to happen on my 4 month old trailer. I am glad that so far everyone is stepping up and not pushing back. They shouldn't, but sometimes it happens.

We have some family members coming into town for a few days next week and then I will drop the trailer off. I will keep this updated with any new information as it goes along. I am hoping to get some pictures as the roof gets removed/replaced. I don't know if they will let me, but I am going to ask.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it normal for the entire roof to come off for a fix like this? Should I be looking out for anything with the repair? I assume the dealer will know what they are doing.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Being an old warranty curmudgeon, the warranty you received is stated in their warranty and started the day you picked it up and ends so many months/years after the start date. I had very little trouble with my TT and Jayco was great to deal with so your guess is about as good as anyone's how they'd react to additional demands. You can ask for extended warranty but your new roof will still be covered until the initial warranty expires. As to the extras, again, you can ask but warranty only pays for the defect. Any additional parts and labor (at least in the heavy equipment business) were deemed a customer expense. BUT, maybe Jayco's feeling generous this time of year! I'm sure everything will turn out fine but it would be really interesting to know what they find when they pull the membrane off. Let us know
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

I probably wasn't super clear. I would gladly pay for the upgrades . Parts and labor (hopefully slightly discounted since they will be there and all the work should be fairly easy).

I will ask, but I hope it is not unreasonable to just extend the roof warranty out by 6 months past the fix date. If this had happened 1 day after my two year warranty, I wouldn't expect anything, but I hope that since it is so new they will work something out. I doubt I will have any additional roof issues after the warranty runs out or even 6 months after that. They will hopefully see that the chances are they will have a happy customer for zero out of pocket to them.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

I would definately talk to jayco making them aware of every single thing the dealer is doing then at that time talk to them about wether the warranty gets extended or now you get a brand new warranty from the dealer . Also i think once the roof is opened up then get them to run yor cables just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Update - my roof finally got replaced. I didn't push the dealership since I didn't need it back right away. They replaced a few rafters. There were some problems with all four corners that I asked them to take care of - after I picked it up. They have it again and will be fixing a few other items I forgot to have them look at.

Also, I did receive a reply from Jayco about extending my warranty - they basically just said they don't do extended warranties and that I could just contact them later if something goes wrong after my warranty expires. Hopefully I won't have any problems.