Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Low Pressure Propane Quick Connect and Coleman stove/lantern

In researching on the formum I have learned that the propane line, with quick connect, that comes out the side of my TT is for a RVQ. I also read that the RVQ is unique becasue it operates with low pressure propane, unlike most LP BBQs. I don't have an RVQ, much prefer to BBQ with charcoal...however I want to use that Propane line to support my Coleman stove and/or a Coleman lantern.

Further searching has lead me to understand that any of the LP fueled devices that operate with the disposable 1lb canisters operate on low pressure propane. If this is true, can I run my Coleman stove and/or lantern from this line? Has anyone done this and do you know what specific hose/connector will be needed? Is it possible to "T" off the line and supply LP to both stove and lantern at the same time?

Thanks
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Great question clubhouse. I'm curious as well. I have an RVQ but was going to keep it nice and use my already well used Coleman stove and lantern further away from the fiberglass siding of TT. Have been researching but haven't nailed down the appropriate connections just yet either. The TT is a quick connect style like an air hose and the stove is a threaded 1lb. canister connector. Would save some space and weight (2lb ea) not carrying around those small canisters in storage.
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

I have done this adaption as I have 2 quick connects for low pressure propane. I run both the RVQ and my Roadtrip grill from these two conections. I see no issue with running a tee for both on the same line. You will just need to get the pressure up on both before running.

The Roadtrip required a little experimenting before I got it right. Due to the way this is plumbed you will need to use a union with a nipple to get away from the male threads on the grill itself. If you try to use just a simple union or direct connection of the extension hose the tightening of the hose end will cut off the supply of propane. It's been three years since I did it so I hope I described it correctly. Make sure to use yellow teflon tape for gas when you mod.

I would post pics but my grill is being stored for the season currently. Once you take off the crome regulator you'll see what I mean.

The hose you need is quick connect propane hose. Some guys have just gone to a local propane supplier and had them make it up for them. 15ft would be ideal.

If you can't remove the regulator for the 1# cannister it's not going to work. The double regulation is going to restrict the flow too much.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

that is exactly what we did was have a hose with the appropriate fitting made up by our local propane supplier so we could run our coleman appliances off the rv tanks. do not remember the price but it was reasonable considering the price of the little propane canisters.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

Another option is to use a Camco Tee between one of the propane cylinders and the regulator. Attaching a hose to the port will give you a high-pressure feed that can be connected to a Road Trip regulator (what we have done using another adapter) or to a Coleman distribution tree.

1979w72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

That is a great question....I have not tried it, but I am guessing it would not work well. The small coleman appliances don't have a regulator but I am guessing they do about the same thing using a very small orifice that restricts the flow. If you ran it after the RV regulator I am guessing you would get very poor performance.

Again - just my guess...would like to hear if anyone has tried it....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote