Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

Lug Wrench

I see my new Whitehawk does not have a lug wrench. I am wondering what you all are using for one? Hope to never have to really use it.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

At Walmart and other places you can find folding cross lug wrenches.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jac...&wl13=&veh=sem

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

My 2017 White Hawk came with a lug wrench but I bought the 4 way cross lug wrench from the local auto store.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #4

I went to the hardware store, bought an 18" breaker bar, and 3 sockets, which fit all my vehicles and trailers. It lives under the back seat of my TV

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I went to the hardware store, bought an 18" breaker bar, and 3 sockets, which fit all my vehicles and trailers. It lives under the back seat of my TV
I do this as well. It's a good idea to also carry an extension for the breaker bar as some lug nuts can be difficult to reach without one.

I also carry a 12 volt impact gun in my TV - just a cheap Harbor Freight version...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I do this as well. It's a good idea to also carry an extension for the breaker bar as some lug nuts can be difficult to reach without one.

I also carry a 12 volt impact gun in my TV - just a cheap Harbor Freight version...
There is a posted torque limit on the lug nuts so I use a torque wrench to check and to tighten. With roadside assistance at age 67 I have no intention of ever removing

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I did the same thing, but I only needed one socket and the breaker bar and socket reside in the trailer storage compartment. I've used it once in 4 years, but was glad I had it.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #8

If you have aluminum wheels a 4 way lug wrench probably won't work, won't fit between the wheel and the lug nut. I found this out the hard way after having a flat on the interstate. I had to unhook and drive home and get some tools to put my spare on, luckily I wasn't far from home yet.

I now carry a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a set of metric and standard sockets for it, for both truck and trailer.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

I bought a 24 inch breaker bar from Harbor Freight. I use it on my Andersen hitch and could use it on my wheels. I have deep socket set that fits both. Will also work on car.

With my roadside assist I don't plan to use it on the road for tires but have used it to look at brakes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
At Walmart and other places you can find folding cross lug wrenches.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jac...&wl13=&veh=sem
I bought one of these also from Harbor freight it works great and no problems fitting my aluminum wheels.

Also check your Spare tire mount sometimes they are different sizes.

Make sure you have something for both.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
There is a posted torque limit on the lug nuts so I use a torque wrench to check and to tighten. With roadside assistance at age 67 I have no intention of ever removing
I only use the impact to break the lug nuts free. I tighten with the breaker bar.

I once had to put my bottle jack under the breaker bar handle and crank it up to break lugs free on my truck. That's when I started carrying the impact gun...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:42 AM   #12

I'm glad there was a thread on this. This is our first trailer, and we were concerned about making sure we torqued the lugs based on the trailer's manual. I see that most of you that replied here, don't even use one. I've never used using a torque wrench on my other vehicles, and wondering why Jayco insists on using them for the trailer. Do you guys just go in the standard alternating pattern, getting them as tight as you can, and call it good?

2017 Jay Flight 26BH
2014 F-150 5.0 Fx4
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
I'm glad there was a thread on this. This is our first trailer, and we were concerned about making sure we torqued the lugs based on the trailer's manual. I see that most of you that replied here, don't even use one. I've never used using a torque wrench on my other vehicles, and wondering why Jayco insists on using them for the trailer. Do you guys just go in the standard alternating pattern, getting them as tight as you can, and call it good?
I may be the minority but I torque them every time I leave on a trip and every time I break camp. Torque wrenches are not that expensive.
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
One should always use a torque wrench on all vehicles to tighten lug nuts to the specified torque. It's alright to use an air wrench to remove lug nuts and partially tighten lug nuts but the final tightening must be done with a torque wrench or some other kind of torque limiter To ensure they are properly torqued. A torque wrench is the only way to ensure lug nuts are properly tightened without being over tightened. Under tightened lug nuts can back off somewhere down the road, damaging rims and even coming off completely. Over tightened lug nuts, besides being a bear to remove later, can also damage rims and can also damage the studs by stressing them past their rated amount of stretch (yes, studs stretch when tightened, albeit not visibly). Once overstretched, the tiny stress factures created by the excess stretching will grow until the studs fail later on down the road.

All vehicles now have recommended lug nut torque ratings (and have for quite some time). Dealers and manufacturers may not make it a priority to inform you of them (sadly, many dealers aren't bright enough to know the importance of proper torqueing) but, if you read your owner's manual, the ratings are there.

One reason Discount Tire is the only company I trust to install my rims on a vehicle I own is they are the only one I know that actually torque lug nuts to the correct torque specification. While they do use an air wrench, they use something they call a torque stick (it looks like a socket wrench extension that goes between the air wrench and the socket) that limits the amount of torque the air wrench can apply. Torque sticks aren't as accurate as a properly calibrated torque wrench but they beat the holy, hairy heck out of just an air wrench. Since my rims are aluminum, they have to be retorqued anyway after 50 miles, which I can do myself, so I don't worry about it.

Other companies just use an air wrench which have no accurate way to be set to a specific torque. They can be adjusted but they are not calibrated in any way, let alone accurately (btw, if anyone ever tries to tell you an air wrench is a torque wrench, don't let him touch your lug nuts!). If I ever have to have anyone other than Discount Tire install a rim on one of my vehicles, I only let them partially tighten the lug nuts and I'll finish them with my torque wrench (or pay them extra to use it and watch to make sure they do it right if I'm not up to doing it myself, which is frequently at my age and handicaps; I had to threaten to tell my insurance company to not pay the guy they sent out the last time I had a flat to get him to use the torque wrench).

Because I'm weak as a new born kitten, I keep a 3/4" drive 40" breaker bar with a 13/16" socket on it to break torque if I'm forced to change a tire myself because I have a flat where there isn't any cell phone service. I just leave the socket on the breaker bar since I have to use something to pry it off and have to pound it back on. My torque wrench is also 3/4" drive to give me more length so I have enough leverage to reach the 150 ft.lb. required by my F150's lug nuts. I have a separate 13/16" socket for it. I need to get a folding cross type lug wrench to make spinning lug nuts off easier and faster after I have broken torque with the breaker bar and spinning them back on easier and faster than just using my old, arthritic fingers.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #15

I've been wrenching on my own numerous vehicles and a 50 unit fleet for 30 years, trained by my mechanic dad and grandfather. I have never once torqued a lug nut and never lost a nut or stud. Not saying it's not the absolute right way, but it's not required by any means if you use common sense when tightening with a lug wrench or an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I've been wrenching on my own numerous vehicles and a 50 unit fleet for 30 years, trained by my mechanic dad and grandfather. I have never once torqued a lug nut and never lost a nut or stud. Not saying it's not the absolute right way, but it's not required by any means if you use common sense when tightening with a lug wrench or an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most people go all their lives without problems doing what you do (heck, I also used to do it) but it's mostly due to pure luck. I've been stranded more than once because of an idiot (polite term) who over torqued my lug nuts (and lug bolts on a '51 Plymouth that took three men and a 10' cheater pipe to break loose) with an air wrench. The newer aluminum rims can be damaged by both over torqueing and under torqueing (and not retorqueing after 50-100 miles after the initial torqueing). The torque tolerances have narrowed significantly over the past dozen years or so.

Check these three sites for more on this:

http://adaptitusa.com/wheellugnuttorquing.aspx

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=107

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...olt-torque.asp
Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
If you have aluminum wheels a 4 way lug wrench probably won't work, won't fit between the wheel and the lug nut. I found this out the hard way after having a flat on the interstate. I had to unhook and drive home and get some tools to put my spare on, luckily I wasn't far from home yet.

I now carry a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a set of metric and standard sockets for it, for both truck and trailer.
A 4-way works fine on my Tredit T03 rims.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #18

Great responses, guys. You've convinced me to just spend the extra money, and do it right. Thanks.
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #19

I bought this husky lug wrench at the homedepot.
Attached Thumbnails
Husky Lug Wreng.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote