Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Macerator Pumps

Hey, folks: I am new to this forum and I have a question. But, for background information, I owned a Starcraft pop-up camper (manufactured by Jayco) for over 20 years and my wife and I recently decided to move up to a travel trailer. Our Jayco 22FB is on order and we should take delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Prior to moving up to the TT, we looked at several Class B, B+ and C motorhomes, but decided the TT is more suited to our lifestyle . . . at least for now. One thing we liked in several of the motorhomes was the macerator pump. With that in mind, I have found a few portable macerator pumps that can be used with a TT. Do any of you have any thoughts about using these pumps (vs. the 3" gravity hose method) for draining the tanks? We plan to camp campgrounds part of the time and boondock (national forest, etc.) part of the time.

If some of you are using macerator pumps, is there any particular brand/suppier etc. that you would recommend (and if so, why)?

I did a search on this Forum, but could not find a thread on macerator pump use. Sorry if this has already been fully discussed in the past.

Thanks for any tips!

Paul
Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Unless you need to pump up hill I really don't see much need for a macerator pump.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

I have one... but only use it at home and run the hose to the basement clean out drain.... I think mine is Flo-jet 12 volt powered one... the water powered ones would be useless if you are not in a spot that has ample water....
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have one... but only use it at home and run the hose to the basement clean out drain.... I think mine is Flo-jet 12 volt powered one... the water powered ones would be useless if you are not in a spot that has ample water....
I have a Sewer Solution a.k.a. water powered. I have an outside shower and have an adapter to hook a garden hose to the outside shower. I used the on board water pump to run the Sewer Solution and it worked fine. It works in a pinch but then you have to refill your tank. I needed to dump the black/ fresh water tanks and just tried it to see if it would work. Not recommended for constant use but it will work. I have the Sewer Solution in those rare instances when the sewer connection is uphill from the outlet. Used to use it at the S&B to dump into a clean out trap as well. Cheaper than the motorized and no use doesn't seem to affect it either.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

We have one of the 12v Flo-Jet kits and it works like a charm. As stated above, we use it to pump to the home sewer when we are at home, but it also comes in handy at other times. Our JayFeather 29N is really low to the ground and there is no way we can drain to a portable tank when we don't have full hookups. With the pump it is easy to leave the tank in the back of the truck, use the pump to empty the holding tank into the portable tank, then drive the truck to the dump station.

Just another tool that is handy to have when you need it!
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Good point WiliWali. Our last travel trailer was low and I had to use a tote all winter. I had to park the trailer on several blocks of wood and dig a hole for the Blue Boy. What a pia.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote