Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #1

Maiden voyage, first damage, one question...

Hi, everyone!

Well, we just got back home from taking out 26BH on it's first trip (other than Camp Driveway). We went for a short trip to the Jellystone Campground at Luray, VA. It's only about 60 miles from home and we figured it'd be a good destination for our 8 year old to get make him like this 'camping thing.' Success! The folks there were VERY helpful and friendly, the pools and water slides were great and the site was great. A little pricey, sure, but we opted for a pull-through "Red Carpet" spot with full hookup and a golf cart for the week.

Then...

Backing up into my driveway, I got a little rushed as someone pulled up and was waiting for me to unblock the street. I got a bit wide backing in, and dug the right rear stabilizing jack into a hard dirt hill, bending it forward. I tried to bend it back, but the screw was bent, too, so it's toast. The good news is that it looks like the mount to the frame was not bent, and the better news is that a replacement jack was only $25 online (of course, shipping doubled the price, but I'd like to have it on before we leave for a 2-day trip to Hershey Park next week.

So, no the question. "Questions" actually, as I thought of another one just now.

I know that the jacks are just for stabilizing the TT and aren't supposed to be used for leveling. But I'm wondering why not? They're rated for 7500# each, and the TT itself grosses out at 7500# so why can't they hold the trailer's weight? I'm sure it probably has something to do with static load vs dynamic load, but I thought I'd ask.

And now the bonus question... My WD hitch is the Reese Pro series, with friction bar. After removing the friction bar, as I backed up and turned the trailer towards the driveway (pretty much a 90* turn I have to make, with a fairly narrow street to a narrower driveway) something metallic starts to protest. I'm assuming it's the WD bars, or more likely their chains. Not liking this sound, I stop, pull forward to straighten out a little, and back some more. Repeat as needed until I'm straight enough into the driveway to just back on up. So... my question is, how much of this 'protesting' is okay? I don't like having to go back and forth half a dozen times to get backed in, but on the other hand, I really don't want to break anything else. Especially something more expensive than a stabilizing jack. Please don't reply with "replace that lousy WD hitch with XXXX" although in a year or so I may be asking for suggestions.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to report on our otherwise very successful first trip. With my wife, me, our 8 yr old, our 2 month old (and all the "stuff" that goes along with an infant) as well as our German Shepard, things got rather cozy in there with no slides or anything, but I think smarter packing and use of storage will help a lot. Besides, it's still FAR roomier than our tent, and the AC rocks!

Thanks!

Bruce
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #2

Bruce sounds like you guys had a good maiden voyage! I can't help out too much with your technical questions but I will say that our 4 point equalizer hitch makes all sorts of noises which took some getting used to... I'm told that is normal. We have the 26BH also and our first trip out it was a little crowded. After several trips we finally got everything put away and are able to get around inside much easier.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

I have to make two 90 degree turns to back in my trailer in. I get the same sound, all you can do is make sure the chain is horizontal where it attaches to the trailer (should cut down on the noise) and grease everthing.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #4

Congratulations on the maiden voyage! Too bad about the jack, but that's all about the process of learning!

So long as you have the friction bar removed, all the noise you hear is pretty normal. Might be wise to have a second set of eyes watch what your hitch and chains are doing (from a good, safe distance, of course) as you make your turns, just to make sure that they're not jamming up on anything. Once your satisfied that nothing is getting caught up you'll find that in time you'll start to ignore those protests!

As far as why you can't raise the trailer using the jacks - not 100% sure, but I suspect it has more to do with the stress that would put on the frame of the trailer than anything else. And I think what they're hoping you won't do is try to raise the wheels off the ground using those jacks...

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #5

Thanks! Meant to add that Jayco was pretty well represented at the campground. I spotted 2 Eagle 5ers, a matching pair of G2s right next to each other, a JayFeather and an older class C.
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #6

The scissor jacks can support lots of weight, but the trailer is not designed to be lifted from the 4 corners. You can brute force em up, but all you are gonna do is cause a roof, or wall to buckle. The scissor jacks are not attached to the main frame.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #7

Bruce, sound's like for the most part, your journey was well. I know one thing that we appreciate with our Equalizer Hitch is that we don't have to dismantle it when backing up. We are on a "main street" where we live and I always worry about impeding taffic. Don is the navigator and I am the driver and we both have walkie talkies when we back up. usually back into the drive on first attempt! Team work is very efficient though! What about pics of your trip????? Let's see thme pics!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #8

Bruce

Had the same problem with my hitch. Talked to a few others and read some info online. If you put a small amount of grease on the ends of the WD bars where they go into the hitch receiver, then the noise completely goes away. I actually looked up the manual on my reese hitch and they recommend doing this everytime you hook up. I found about every third time was sufficient. Make sure the bars dont get any dirt on the ends. With the grease, they pick up small stones etc...if you lay them on the ground.

As well, I ususally have to re tighten my stabilizer jacks after a few hours since the pads settle and mine may also be backing out slightly

Good luck
A big dog
2008 HD Ultra
Leeburn is offline   Reply With Quote