Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

Maine to Florida

We have a new Whitehawk 27DSRL. Will be taking it to South Carolina for November and then on to Florida for 2 months.

Wondering if any of you have driven this far with your trailer attached? Also have any if you spent three months in it during the winter?

Steve.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Kind of...

~4,400mi from AZ to OH and back & lived virtually on the shore of Lake Erie from April through mid June with our 2 dogs in our Jay Flight 27RLS.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #3

So how did it go? Did you get sick of being in the trailer that long?
Old 07-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
That would depend on how you get along with who you are with!!
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
No.
We weren't IN the trailer 24/7. We volunteered at a Wildlife Refuge and so had responsibilities there several times a week, made trips to see local points of interest, get groceries, do laundry, etc. The weather was 'sucky' (cold, wet, windy) so we didn't spend as much time outside as we usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Cox View Post
That would depend on how you get along with who you are with!!
True! The DW and I really enjoy each others company and will be celebrating our 40th anniversary this spring.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We did 9 weeks and 9,000 miles in our old 16.5' TT.
You'll have good weather in Florida for the winter, so you'll be outside most of the time.
We winter ina condo in Cape Coral. Winter camping in Florida would be pleasant as long as you pick a nice CG.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #7

Can't help with the 2nd question, but as for the first, we did a 7900+ cross country trip in a smaller trailer than we have now, a 23RB. We did fine in it. In may ways, our new one would be even better since it has more interior room.

If I can find a place, this January/February we may try a little mini snow birding in Florida. Of course, it may not happen due to no room.

Quote:
We have a new Whitehawk 27DSRL. Will be taking it to South Carolina for November and then on to Florida for 2 months.

Wondering if any of you have driven this far with your trailer attached? Also have any if you spent three months in it during the winter?

Steve.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #8

Sounds like a great trip! When I was younger my family of 5 plus a dog went cross country for 6 weeks in a 26 foot bunkhouse with no slides.

Now my wife and I take our kids to Florida from Maryland (half your distance, I know) almost every February. Stopping for a while in the Carolina's will certainly break up your trip and make it more restful. Plan ahead NOW to make sure you find a spot in Florida. When we started 10 or 12 years ago you could just drive down to Florida in the winter and find a spot. Now you have to reserve spots a year in advance at places we like to visit...

Have fun and take your time driving!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Steve.

From Ottawa Ontario, in our previous trailer, a Bigfoot Fibreglass 19ft (including 3ft hitch) and no slide, we stayed Disney 2 weeks and 6 weeks in the Keys. It rained one afternoon and sprinkled for 4 minutes one other day, during the whole time we were there. Son was 5 at the time and we were never in the trailer except to sleep and everybody slept soundly after a day of fishing, swimming, kayaking etc. Felt a little confined near the end.

Stayed at Hilton Head a couple of years ago with current trailer. Beaches were great, but it wasn't Florida.

Easter 2017, dog and I drove, (dog didn't do much driving but did keep me company in the front seat) down to the Florida Gulf Coast for 7 weeks. Week after we arrived, DW and son flew into Tampa and I picked them up and they stayed for 3 weeks before flying home. Dog and I stayed and fished and kayaked another 3 weeks and then drove home. Would have turned around and went back if I could have got more time off.

There is so much you can see and do, even on a modest budget, that you will hardly have time to spend in your trailer. The kayaking and fishing in Florida is spectacular every day of the week.

I find that I sleep much better in my familiar trailer than strange hotel rooms. Coming from the North, you will find that your A/C is not going to cool your rig with all the blinds drawn to let the wonderful sunshine in. I had to get some reflective pads for the skylights and door window and keep the front and back closed off to allow the center area to cool to a comfortable level.

Other than Washington, DC, the drive south is pretty relaxing and there are great rest areas at regular intervals to get out and stretch your legs or even grab an afternoon nap or stay the night if idling semis do not bother you.

You can get some great monthly rates on serviced campsites and even weekly rates are quite reasonable near some of the attractions. Do you have any idea yet which areas you would like to visit ?
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #10

Thanks for the great posts. Due to the time of year I will be heading south, I might have to hit a motel or two on the way down. I may have to winterize the trailer that late in the month.

I am wondering if any of you had to do the same? What chains are out there that might have space to park the rig? Also what chains allow a dog?

Steve
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

We did our Hilton Head Trip in late February and only stopped at one hotel on the way down. Drove 8 to 10 hours stayed the night and then arrived in SC the following evening.

In the Hotels.com app you can actually limit your search to hotels that are dog friendly. I was surprised at how many hotels allowed dogs. Dogs were allowed on the beach during the winter months in HH and the temperature was quite pleasant in the mid 70's to low 80's and sunny, although the water was still a little cold for the locals, but someone from Maine would find the water temp quite comfortable.

Another great app is the Allstays app which provided up to date info on Walmarts and other places which allow overnight parking as well as nearby hotels that have big rig parking. You have to pay for the app, but it will pay for itself with one stop along the way.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote