Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Maintenance Questions

As I have noted previously, my TT is stored about 300 miles away, so planning for winterizing, mods, and care must be done early. It is stored in Myrtle Beach South Carolina at the ocean. Yes, salt air, lots of sun etc. I will be going down in about 1 month to do what I can except for winterizing. I will do that about 1 month later. Anyways, I have several questions. I will also perform all of this again in the spring.

1. I want to clean and preserve all of the nice wood-work inside of the TT. Whats the best thing to use?
2. I want to give the awning a good cleaning. From what I have read, a mixture of bleach and water, applied then rolled up for 15 minutes then rinsed is a good way of doing so. I know bleach is corosive, so what mixture of bleach to water should I use?
3. Roof cleaning...the search results are unlimited! Do, this, use that...wow! I am going to clean with (as Alpha states) top job or spic and span. After visiting their web site, it says that UV protection can actually be bad for rubber roofs. Here is where I get frustrated. Do, I, or don't I? Because of the environment the TT is iin, I am unsure. I thought about protectall roof protectant or 303, your thoughts please.
4. Washing and waxing. A good car wash soap is my plan on washing. Meguiar's, probably. As for wax, I will only have a few days to complete all of this. Hopefully the weather will cooperate! I had planned on using protectall wax. Will it last through the winter? I also read about Meguiar's NXT next generation. It comes in paste, liquid, and spray. Which of those (paste, spray, liquid) are you using? Also considering Turtle Wax Ice. Which one lasts the longest and can be done in a reasonable time. I need it to last through April or so and offer good protection.
5. AC cover, vent covers etc. Plan on hitting those with either 303 or protect all. I figured if I wax with Protectall, I can also use that here and save a few bucks. Any other products to consider?

Add to this installing a bedroom TV mount, resolving the leaking around the tub from the shower(already have planned how to resolve) and other little small things like winterizing and I am pretty busy. This is our second TT and we are very proud of it. I just want to keep it as nice as I can for as long as I can. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

1) we treat the TT wood same as the wood at home...occasionally hit it endust, but mainly just wipe it down with a damp cloth to keep clean.
2) I have not used bleach on my awning, only really scrubbed it once and used the same car wash soap used for the rest of the TT.
3) I clean my roof with that same car wash soap, Meguiar's Deep Crystal wash, and a soft bristle brush. Seems to work well so far. I did the same research as you and learned the important thing is no petroleum products. So read the MSDS sheets for several products, that is how I decided on the deep crystal wash. I don't treat the roof with extra UV protectant. My research showed lots of roof treatments do have petroleum distilants and a roof kept clean should last 10+ years....that is good enough fir me.
4) I use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 twice a year. There is debate, but I go right over all the decals. Hasn't been an issue yet.
5) didn't do any thing for the vent and AC Covers.

As for winterizing, is that necessary in Myrtle Beach? How cold does it get and for how long. Where I live, California's Central Valley, we get cold but not sustained for days on end. Very rarely does it stay below freezing during the day, even though nights may see 20s for a couple hours. Nobody I know around here winterized. Some do nothing at all, some may used compressed air to blow out the water lines but no one circulates the pink RV antifreeze and we have no issues. Do leave water in the toilet bowl so the gasket doesn't dry out.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
1) we treat the TT wood same as the wood at home...occasionally hit it endust, but mainly just wipe it down with a damp cloth to keep clean.
2) I have not used bleach on my awning, only really scrubbed it once and used the same car wash soap used for the rest of the TT.
3) I clean my roof with that same car wash soap, Meguiar's Deep Crystal wash, and a soft bristle brush. Seems to work well so far. I did the same research as you and learned the important thing is no petroleum products. So read the MSDS sheets for several products, that is how I decided on the deep crystal wash. I don't treat the roof with extra UV protectant. My research showed lots of roof treatments do have petroleum distilants and a roof kept clean should last 10+ years....that is good enough fir me.
4) I use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 twice a year. There is debate, but I go right over all the decals. Hasn't been an issue yet.
5) didn't do any thing for the vent and AC Covers.

As for winterizing, is that necessary in Myrtle Beach? How cold does it get and for how long. Where I live, California's Central Valley, we get cold but not sustained for days on end. Very rarely does it stay below freezing during the day, even though nights may see 20s for a couple hours. Nobody I know around here winterized. Some do nothing at all, some may used compressed air to blow out the water lines but no one circulates the pink RV antifreeze and we have no issues. Do leave water in the toilet bowl so the gasket doesn't dry out.
Thanks, which Meguiar's NXT 2.0 do you use? It comes in paste, liquid and spray. I figure either the liquid or spray would be best for me due to time constraints. The paste should last the longest, but probably don't have the time required. Then the liquid should last next longest followed by the spray. As for winterizing, I stored my old TT at the same place. Honestly, I never winterized it and had no problems. I am concerned that I should winterize it due to warranty issues. Yep, leave water in the toilet so the gasket doesn't dry out. Thanks again.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

I use the liquid wax. I was concerned a paste wax would be to difficult to use with mu aluminum sided trailer
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

I think if you look up the manufacturer of the roofing materials recommendations you'll find just wash it a couple times a year with a mild dish-soap/water mixture.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

You have maybe a little more unique situation. Here in the Midwest we do not get much salt enriched air. I would do two things, besides asking us. Call a local RV dealer, and ask fellow RVs, especially owners of nice looking older rigs. Otherwise here are my thoughs;

1) Treat the wood like you are at home.
2) There are a number of options. Personally I am not a big fan of bleach on fabrics. Dawn dish soap is usually the best. My parents use a product call “Spray Wash” I just picked up my first jug tonight. It’s what the dealer by their house uses, to clean awnings and black streaks. They said they just spray it on with a small tank sprayer (full strength) let it sit for a few minutes and then use a car wash brush to scrub the awning or the black streaks away. Their neighbor likes “simple Green”. I think there are a lot of options. I would speak with your fellow campers to find out what they do. I would fully suspect your camping neighbors may spray the awning’s metal slides/components with something to keep them for corroding.
3) I would plan to wash it with Dawn dish soap. My question would be should you remove the AC cover and clean the AC to remove salt buildup, and to keep the corrosion at bay???? I would call a local RV dealer and see what they recommend. Again I would speak with other campers, especially nice looking older rigs.
4) I would use a good liquid or paste wax, they will last the winter. I have not had good luck with spray waxes lasting for more than a week or two.
5) Dawn dish soap, to wash it. As for a protectant, I am not sure what would help.
6) I would crawl under the rig and look for any and all small penetrations such as where gas lines or electrical penetrates the under belly and I would apply some marine grade silicone caulk, to keep the bugs and critters out.

Good luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote