Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Major Jayco Fail!!! What would you do?

When we ordered our 2017 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS in mid June, we were somewhat apprehensive about doing so because it was imperative that we have the trailer delivered, and any issues fixed before a departure date of Mid October or we stood to lose an $1100.00+ credit that was generated because our current POS Coachmen literally fell apart on us and we had to cut our stay short last winter. But after talking with both the salesman and the Jayco rep personally, we were told it should only be 6-8 weeks and making our departure date would be no problem. So we submitted the order.

A few weeks afterwards, we were updated and told that things were pushed back a bit due to the number of orders received and the window was now 8-10 weeks but should be closer to 8. Knowing that we could still have a couple of months, between getting our trailer and making the reservation, we let the order stand.

Fast forward 6 weeks from our last contact with either entity (last Friday) and we were starting to get antsy so I zipped off an email to the salesman asking for an update. He called the next day and said he was just calling to make sure we were all on the same page in preparation for our trailers arrival. I asked if he had actually heard a date yet, and he said no but he would contact Jayco. As the days went by this past week with no call back, I started to get that sinking feeling that something was up and my suspicions were not unfounded.

Our salesman called back today and told us that Jayco is now telling him that our trailer won't be built until the END OF OCTOBER!!! WTH!!!!! That means we would be looking at more than DOUBLE their latest build estimate and no one thought to give us a call??? I admit our trailer is "unique" in regards to our options (fairly loaded) but we are talking 5 months here. Am I wrong to be just a little ticked off by this, especially when we are 9 weeks into a 10 week window and had heard nothing until I pushed to get an update? And even if I wanted to try at this point, it is too late to change our arrival date with our reservation in October.

Here is a list of our options:

Meadow Interior
Table and Chairs
2nd AC
Residential Refrigerator
2nd awning
Tankless water heater
Dual Pane windows
Maxxis Tire upgrade
Slide toppers.

Our salesman told us he has been knocking himself out trying to locate another trailer on another lot somewhere that is as close to possible to this one but sadly he hasn't done so well. He did find one with the first 4 options on the list but lacking the last 5.

It is too late for us to change our reservations dates in October so although I wanted to just blow my top at the guy, I tried to think of an acceptable compromise.

My first thought was that with the exception of the dual pane windows, (which I don't think could be installed at the dealership and would probably take forever to get them ordered and delivered, or COULD THEY) the other 4 options should be able to be ordered and installed fairly quickly at the dealership. So I asked the salesman to contact Jayco and see if between the two of them, they can find a way to step up and authorize the dealership to install those "options" (minus the windows) to get the trailer they found as close as possible to what we ordered AT THE PRICE WE ORDERED minus the 1500.00 for the windows. We really wanted the windows because we had a lot of condensation issues this past winter in our current trailer, especially when the DW was cooking inside during bad weather, but I suppose I could get them to install a vent in the kitchen area or some other work around to help mitigate that somewhat.

My only other options are to just cancel the order and keep our trailer we have for this winter to keep from losing the 1100.00 deposit, but that means I have to spend another winter in a POS that neither of us feel safe towing or staying in. The last option is to just wait for the trailer we ordered and lose the 1100.00 dollar deposit.

What would you do? Can you think of any other possible options we could consider?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunate situation. Could you stay in your current unit until the new one comes in and then make the trip back home to pick it up or is that not practical with distance, etc?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Unfortunate situation. Could you stay in your current unit until the new one comes in and then make the trip back home to pick it up or is that not practical with distance, etc?
That would be my same question. As far as the windows go, you could invest in a good dehumidifier??
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

There is a reason why you ordered the camper you did. I would use the old one for one more trip. You will be happier in the long run.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Not practical for a few reasons.

3000+ mile round trip.
No confidence it would make it that far again in one piece given it's history.
Still has unresolved issues that include a yet to be found power short which makes us feel it is unsafe.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
That would be my same question. As far as the windows go, you could invest in a good dehumidifier??
Possible, or a ceiling exhaust fan in the living area to help move the air around better. Actually was already on my "to do" list.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Maybe the dealer could lend you a trailer for your trip in October?
I have a really tiny camper and mine has a vent over the stove that has an exhaust fan that vents outside. I also usually open the kitchen window just a bit.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

I think I would cancel, Jayco is certainly culpable but you bought the unit from a dealership that just gave you a glimpse of their customer service.

I'm assuming the trip is a winter snow bird trip, if so I would then take your trip with the existing trailer and look for a new one but when you are where ever your are going.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
There is a reason why you ordered the camper you did. I would use the old one for one more trip. You will be happier in the long run.
Yes there were, but after only one year of ownership, those reasons are no where near enough to convince us to spend another night let alone another month in it when we just don't feel safe. I would rather eat lose our deposit than spend one more night in our current trailer.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

loss

I'd make the dealer or Jayco eat the $1100.00
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I think I would cancel, Jayco is certainly culpable but you bought the unit from a dealership that just gave you a glimpse of their customer service.

I'm assuming the trip is a winter snow bird trip, if so I would then take your trip with the existing trailer and look for a new one but when you are where ever your are going.
Yes and no on the snowbird trip. We usually take our trailer down in October for a few weeks and spend Thanksgiving with our relatives. We then leave our trailer there for a month or so while we come back home for Christmas before heading back down. That also gets our trailer out of here before the snow flies and roads get bad.

We are considering on cancelling but then that imposes our having to try and get our 2000.00 deposit with the dealership back. I will give them the chance to make this right before I go that far. As for buying one down there, I am really not sure it would make it again after all the problems we had last year. Also, I would rather deal locally for service reasons. We actually poked around down there last year during RV shows and I got much better pricing up here.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
Maybe the dealer could lend you a trailer for your trip in October?
I have a really tiny camper and mine has a vent over the stove that has an exhaust fan that vents outside. I also usually open the kitchen window just a bit.
I will put that on my list to ask about if we get that far. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobuck1 View Post
I'd make the dealer or Jayco eat the $1100.00
But then I would be out 2200.00!!! (Jayco eating 1100.00 I am stuffing in his mouth) Seriously, although I am quite upset at these developments, they have no legal obligation to deliver within an "estimated" build window. I am just going to see how far they willing to go to make this as right as they can before I consider just cancelling altogether. It will go a long way to see if all these praises about Jayco have any real truth to them or if they are just the luck of the draw.

Being the pessimist I am, I am also picturing a Thor exec standing on the factory floor, changing the whole manufacturing process even though we were assured it would be "business as usual".
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #14

Can't really tell you how to handle it, but I would be a little p***** off too, especially with the dealer. As to JAYCO it may also be a supply train issue, there have been numerous articles about suppliers falling further and further behind due to massive demands since sales continue to soar.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #15

Wow ! That would really suck. Forgive me if I missed it, but did anyone give you a reason it's taking that long ? I ordered a 2017 Jayflight 29rks on June 10th and was told 8-10 weeks. I haven't checked with anyone yet for an update, but it's 10 weeks today so I'll maybe shoot my salesman an email tomorrow to see if he can get a delivery date. Not holding my breath for good news after reading this. If I get an answer like you did I'll cancel immediately and start shopping again because I sure don't want a winter delivery. My non refundable down payment was $3500.00 tho

I hope they can figure something out for you.
Fulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #16

I've never ordered an RV from the factory. I just find something on the lot and make a deal. However, in the initial paperwork is there not some kind of delivery performance criteria spelled out? I mean what if they decided to delay delivery by 3 or 4 years. There has to be some kind of deadline. I wouldn't think folks would just sign an open ended contract.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #17

I think (for what it's worth) that the dealer should step up and offer you a loaner.

Also, have you talked to Jayco directly? Sometimes communications between the dealer and the factory can become, well, somewhat garbled!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #18

Go up the chain of Command

Call Jayco direct, ask for the CEO Derald Bontrager 574-825-5861

No, you won't get thru to him. However, explain to the VP of marketing (or whatever) your situation and ask him/her to rectify it.

Your primary question is, "can you deliver on the promise?" Jayco states YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR NUMBER ONE GOAL. Consider his alternatives and make your best choice.

Your salesman has no control over the situation. Yet, if you stop with him or his boss your chances of getting a positive resolution if minimal.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #19

So a lot of people are expressing anger towards the dealer... but they have ZERO control over the situation. Jayco builds what they build, when they build it. The dealer has ZERO push on the situation. The fact of the matter is that Jayco builds in batches when possible, and if they have 10 orders for a X model and only 1 order for a Y model, they will build the X model first. The dealer can't do a darn thing about it. Unless the dealer forgot to submit the order, or delayed the order for several weeks, it sounds like it is 100% Jayco, not the dealer.

The OP admits that he ordered a somewhat unusual trailer because of his options. If he ordered his in a way that is rarely done, its highly doubtful that the dealer can find another similar one sitting around somewhere.

There is a reason I ordered my Jayco in January... I had a pretty short turn around time. Ordering in the middle of the summer and having a firm deadline by which you can receive it is a recipe for disaster. Prices are higher, demand is higher, the assembly line is busier, transporters are busier. Yes, it SUCKS that it is taking this long and I have empathy for the OP. One on hand its good to see that Jayco's business is doing so well that it takes 4 months to get a trailer, but on the other hand it sucks to have to wait that long.

OP, if you have a good dealer, they might be willing to drop the price some and help you out with your $1100 trip conundrum. I doubt Jayco will do much, they obviously aren't hurting for sales if it takes 4-5 months to get an order made.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. It sounds very frustrating... but I don't see any blame on the dealer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
So a lot of people are expressing anger towards the dealer... but they have ZERO control over the situation.
But the dealer didn't follow the order to keep the customer notified so he could make other plans if needed. When we ordered our PINNACLE I was called/e-mailed about every 10 days.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote