Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #41
Site Team

Thanks for both your comments.

All is good and I was just wanting to say how some of these have gone in the past.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #42

As many have stated previously, other than ordering the trailer right away the dealers have little control over when the factory builds the unit. It is doubtful that they would be willing to guarantee a delivery date or offer a refund of a deposit. Especially on a special order unit with options they don't normally order. Once the trailer is ordered, Jayco considers it sold to the dealer so if a customer backs out of the deal, the dealer still owns the trailer.

It took 12 weeks from order to delivery for my 2017 Eagle TT. That seems to be the norm based on what I've seen on this forum. The dealer never should have told you it would take 6-8 weeks. That was wishful thinking on their part. It's their responsibility to manage customer's expectations.

I'd call the factory and talk to their dealer rep. Explain the situation and see if they can move the trailer up in the build line. If there are orders ahead of yours that don't have a customer's name attached to them they may be able to help you out.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
As many have stated previously, other than ordering the trailer right away the dealers have little control over when the factory builds the unit. It is doubtful that they would be willing to guarantee a delivery date or offer a refund of a deposit. Especially on a special order unit with options they don't normally order. Once the trailer is ordered, Jayco considers it sold to the dealer so if a customer backs out of the deal, the dealer still owns the trailer.

It took 12 weeks from order to delivery for my 2017 Eagle TT. That seems to be the norm based on what I've seen on this forum. The dealer never should have told you it would take 6-8 weeks. That was wishful thinking on their part. It's their responsibility to manage customer's expectations.

I'd call the factory and talk to their dealer rep. Explain the situation and see if they can move the trailer up in the build line. If there are orders ahead of yours that don't have a customer's name attached to them they may be able to help you out.
I agree that the 6-8 was a little optimistic to say the least. And even when they changed it a few weeks later to 8-10, that estimate came directly from Jayco's regional manager while I was talking with him on the phone and he was looking directly at their order system! And even if they came back and said it was 10-12 now, I could have understood given all the statements about the number of orders, etc.

But for them to now come back and state 20 weeks, and no one at Jayco thought to notify dealers/buyers of this drastic of a production delay (at least that is the story I get from our dealership) or that there might be a few buyers a little upset about this, doesn't say a lot for the company being "customer focused" in my eyes. I get that production issues arise, but to not keep buyers updated about such drastic changes seems a little odd to me.

If I don't hear back from my salesman about what I have already proposed in a day or so, I will call Jayco personally to see what might be able to be done.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #44

Cancel unless dealer will give you a loaner for your trip. That is not an uncommon thing for a dealer to do when needed to resolve a customer problem that Jayco or the dealer caused. 4 months is way out of line for a delivery. Our Wht Hawk was delivered in just a few days short of 6 weeks. More than 12 weeks means only one thing, your order was put on the back burner to make dealer ordered units this summer.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #45

Well, I decided to just call Jayco CS and express my (clears throat) "frustrations" about this entire situation and was forwarded back to the regional manager that told me 8-10 weeks.

Although he said he has now been "moved" out of that position, he was more than willing to listen to my frustrations. He stated that the main reason was that they have been literally slammed with Eagle TT orders and their current production facilities for that line cannot keep up. He also said that Jayco was in the process of setting up a second facility to meet demand, but also admitted that this doesn't help in my situation and also told me that even 20 weeks might be optimistic!!!!!! So for anyone else that has an Eagle TT on order, you might just want to check in and find out where YOUR order is now!!!

After hearing my proposals stated earlier in this thread, he told me he would make a few phone calls to see what could be done and get back with me SOON!

Not getting my hopes up just yet, but have heard some amazing stories about how far Jayco has gone to "make things right".
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #46

We had the same problem last year when we ordered our 324 BHTS, we were told 4-6 weeks and it actually took 9. Since we took ownership of that unit, we have discovered several issues that I blame 100% on hastily performed work (a piece of subfloor at the kitchen slide is missing, staples anchoring entry wall not totally missed stud and wall sticks out, lights and electrical receptacles off center, water line leading to outside kitchen nicked when they cut hole under cabinet to run electric line,...) I wouldn't try to rush them anymore than they are already being rushed!!
Lessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #47

That's the main reason I buy "off the lot". That way I can inspect the actual unit before any money changes hands. Makes it more difficult to get exactly what you want but worth the effort (and sometimes compromise) to get a unit you have looked over thoroughly.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
That's the main reason I buy "off the lot". That way I can inspect the actual unit before any money changes hands. Makes it more difficult to get exactly what you want but worth the effort (and sometimes compromise) to get a unit you have looked over thoroughly.
I agree completely. Don't you also typically get a better deal when buying from dealer stock? I ordered a car from the Ford factory once and I had to pay full MSRP. I imagine it's probably the same with RV's?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I agree completely. Don't you also typically get a better deal when buying from dealer stock? I ordered a car from the Ford factory once and I had to pay full MSRP. I imagine it's probably the same with RV's?
Nope, never made a difference for us. It's all dealer dependent.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

But for them to now come back and state 20 weeks, and no one at Jayco thought to notify dealers/buyers of this drastic of a production delay (at least that is the story I get from our dealership) or that there might be a few buyers a little upset about this, doesn't say a lot for the company being "customer focused" in my eyes. I get that production issues arise, but to not keep buyers updated about such drastic changes seems a little odd to me.
Jayco updates their build schedules weekly. The dealer can go in and print off a list of their orders with build dates. If the dealer is telling you they didn't know, either they weren't checking or they didn't want to have to break the bad news to you.

There are a lot of people suggesting you cancel the order but then what? You have to start all over again and I assume you ordered this trailer for a reason. I know that I was in a similar situation and cancelling was appealing but then I realized that the person that would lose out the most was me. I'd keep working the factory angle.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
Jayco updates their build schedules weekly. The dealer can go in and print off a list of their orders with build dates. If the dealer is telling you they didn't know, either they weren't checking or they didn't want to have to break the bad news to you.

There are a lot of people suggesting you cancel the order but then what? You have to start all over again and I assume you ordered this trailer for a reason. I know that I was in a similar situation and cancelling was appealing but then I realized that the person that would lose out the most was me. I'd keep working the factory angle.
If they update them weekly, then "somebody" should have had a notion to raise awareness for all parties concerned, that these types of delays were occurring. I hate pointing fingers but at this point, it sounds to me like neither in my case are being diligent about making sure the "customer" is kept updated. With no word from either party, we could only assume that the window of 8-10 weeks was valid. I shouldn't have to badger my rep or Jayco for constant updates, but sadly, that appears to be more the norm than the exception. I might just have to bring this little ditty up in our next conversation.

As for cancelling, that IS always a possibility, but I don't think we are there yet. We have absolutely NO desire to take delivery of our trailer AFTER the snow flies and at that point, does us absolutely no good to take delivery since it will be too late to save ANY of our reservation deposits for this winter. If it appears that our dealership and/or Jayco are unwilling to step up here, then and only then will that card be played. Right now, we are waiting a few more days until we hear back, but I definitely am past the point of just waiting for days or weeks for someone to follow up. "THAT SHIP HAS SAILED"!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Cancel unless dealer will give you a loaner for your trip. That is not an uncommon thing for a dealer to do when needed to resolve a customer problem that Jayco or the dealer caused. 4 months is way out of line for a delivery. Our Wht Hawk was delivered in just a few days short of 6 weeks. More than 12 weeks means only one thing, your order was put on the back burner to make dealer ordered units this summer.
A loaner would solve our issues "IF" this was just your everyday type of vacation, which it is not. Our trailer is used as a "seasonal" trailer both up here in the summer and down south in the winter. THIS October trip was to take our trailer south to spend Thanksgiving with family and in preparation for our snowbirding this winter. We are coming back north after Thanksgiving but the trailer isn't. It stays south, out of the cold, wind, snow, and ice until Mid April. During that time we may either fly or drive back down for a while to get out of the snow. So to try and make at least two trips south this winter with a trailer in tow, is just too much expense, trouble, and hassle, not to mention taking a chance on bad roads, snow or ice during any of those trips. Just wouldn't work for us in this instance. If a loaner or cancelling end up being our only two choices, we will just cancel the order and save as much of our other deposits as possible.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #53

You went into this without a plan b with so many plans at stake? and now that things look less than ideal, all the suggestions being provided are not workable for you guys? I think I'm missing the point other than the 'don't count your chickens ... ...' lesson learned. I'm sure it's in here somewhere though.

One of the better suggestions I read was to take a loaner and swap out your loaner for your new camper when it's ready. You mentioned that you were planning on flying OR Driving back down south at least once or twice to get out of the 'snow' anyway, but you aren't willing to do that to pick up your new camper (because of the time / expense and weather, but you were planning on driving down anyway?? You also said 'or flying' but you left the door open for multiple road trips down south. There are plenty of good windows to make an early fall road trip, towing or otherwise.

I'm confused by that (and other things). A lot of good suggestions in this thread (in my opinion). I'd wait on the camper I ordered and rent a condo for a month or 2 if I had to. I'd stay in the old one before I'd do that, but not enough information regarding exactly what is wrong with it... so not sure on that one. I wouldn't back out of the deal because it's taking them longer than hoped. That's just me though... good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #54

Just spit balling here, but would it be possible to have your trailer delivered to a different dealership closer to where you will be when it is delivered? Make the dealer bring it to you and take the old one with them. Just a thought.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #55

Quote:
You went into this without a plan b with so many plans at stake? and now that things look less than ideal, all the suggestions being provided are not workable for you guys? I think I'm missing the point other than the 'don't count your chickens ... ...' lesson learned. I'm sure it's in here somewhere though.

One of the better suggestions I read was to take a loaner and swap out your loaner for your new camper when it's ready. You mentioned that you were planning on flying OR Driving back down south at least once or twice to get out of the 'snow' anyway, but you aren't willing to do that to pick up your new camper (because of the time / expense and weather, but you were planning on driving down anyway?? You also said 'or flying' but you left the door open for multiple road trips down south. There are plenty of good windows to make an early fall road trip, towing or otherwise.

I'm confused by that (and other things). A lot of good suggestions in this thread (in my opinion). I'd wait on the camper I ordered and rent a condo for a month or 2 if I had to. I'd stay in the old one before I'd do that, but not enough information regarding exactly what is wrong with it... so not sure on that one. I wouldn't back out of the deal because it's taking them longer than hoped. That's just me though... good luck with whatever you decide.
I apologize for confusing you so badly! With the way my brain feels at the moment, I probably should not even be typing this reply!!!! Let me start by stating that I really appreciate all of the suggestions and comments posted in this tread. And although I may have been lacking in my "details" about this or that, it shouldn't make anyone feel like I am somehow either discounting or otherwise ignoring any suggestion or idea they may make. That is NOT my intent, and I apologize if I have made anyone feel that way.

With that said, a loaner would be a good solution if this were a more standard vacation that was much closer to home at another time of the year. But in this instance, and with us in this situation, the associated logistics, cost, time, and effort to do so would in my opinion, end up costing us much more than just eating the 1100.00 deposit. Then there is the part about me having to entertain towing a 5 ton trailer 3000+ miles round trip, not once but twice, in late fall/winter when the weather can turn on a dime. Others may feel comfortable doing so, but I do not, which is why we plan on October/April. I do not feel that putting myself or my families safety in jeopardy is worth ANY trailer. Besides, with Jayco themselves telling me right now that to expect our trailer to be built by Nov 1 is being "optimistic" gives me absolutely NO confidence we will have a trailer before next year. At that point, we now have a 2016 that is already a year old, haven't used it yet, and if we don't get it in time, put all of the rest of our reservation deposits this winter in jeopardy. The old adage of "Fool me once........" comes to mind and just reinforces your comment about "lesson learned".

Right now, we are still trying to be flexible to try and come up with a solution that works for everyone. However, it is our feeling that if we have to make such concessions to get this done, then so should the other parties involved. We shouldn't be the only ones that have to make ALL the concessions and end up making fiscal sacrifices just to buy THEIR trailer. Again, just my opinion. Right now, we have presented Jayco and our dealership a couple of possible solutions that not only were inspired by a couple of comments in this thread, but also have the ability to be a win win for everyone. However, it also requires that everyone makes some concessions. Whether that will happen or not, who knows. We will give it a week or two for it all to play out.

As for the condo, that's a GREAT idea but sadly the only way we can afford that is to forget about a trailer this year or next.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1115 View Post
Just spit balling here, but would it be possible to have your trailer delivered to a different dealership closer to where you will be when it is delivered? Make the dealer bring it to you and take the old one with them. Just a thought.
Hey, spitball away!!! Many times, the best solution comes completely out of "left field". I have made a note of it!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #57

Quote:
I apologize for confusing you so badly!
No worries

I feel for your predicament, and honestly nobody knows what they would do in that situation unless they are actually in it. I guess my only point was if the only option you have left with the biggest chance of saving your trip + getting the camper you want involves 1 additional round trip, as long as it may be, you are out maybe a week total, and they should compensate you somehow for that. Maybe I'm spoiled here in Denver, but for the majority of the winter, there isn't a spec of snow on the interstate around here, it's usually gone within 24 hours of the snowfall. Having to winterize for the trip and dry camping both directions would definitely be an irritation though. All of the dealerships around here are chock full of 2017's None of your choices are all that great, but if you can get your deposit back, which shouldn't be too difficult in this scenario, pretty sure you can find a 2017 model within a few days already in dealer stock and put all this misery and uncertainty behind you. I wouldn't be giving Jayco 'days' to respond. They need to be extremely responsive in this situation or risk losing a customer for life to Vance, Winnebago or numerous other competitors. Again, I wish you the best and am learning a lot from all of the posts here, even the mostly negative ones.

Regards,
Mark
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #58

Quote:
No worries

I feel for your predicament, and honestly nobody knows what they would do in that situation unless they are actually in it. I guess my only point was if the only option you have left with the biggest chance of saving your trip + getting the camper you want involves 1 additional round trip, as long as it may be, you are out maybe a week total, and they should compensate you somehow for that. Maybe I'm spoiled here in Denver, but for the majority of the winter, there isn't a spec of snow on the interstate around here, it's usually gone within 24 hours of the snowfall. Having to winterize for the trip and dry camping both directions would definitely be an irritation though. All of the dealerships around here are chock full of 2017's None of your choices are all that great, but if you can get your deposit back, which shouldn't be too difficult in this scenario, pretty sure you can find a 2017 model within a few days already in dealer stock and put all this misery and uncertainty behind you. I wouldn't be giving Jayco 'days' to respond. They need to be extremely responsive in this situation or risk losing a customer for life to Vance, Winnebago or numerous other competitors. Again, I wish you the best and am learning a lot from all of the posts here, even the mostly negative ones.

Regards,
Mark
I just got off the phone with our salesman. Bad news is that the trailer he thought he had located with at least some of the options we wanted, is at a CW store and corporate doesn't want to do a dealer swap. He did tell me which one so I looked up the trailer myself and their website says "deal pending", so again, conflicting information. Regardless, it appears that our options are slowly dwindling. He did say that his mgmt. was in contact with Jayco mgmt. directly to see if they can come up with a solution, but how far that might get us or what the outcome of that will be, who the heck knows. At this point, the little optimistic guy on my right shoulder is starting to agree with the pessimistic one on my left!! That can't be good!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #59

Quote:
I just got off the phone with our salesman. Bad news is that the trailer he thought he had located with at least some of the options we wanted, is at a CW store and corporate doesn't want to do a dealer swap.

Sheesh, you can't catch a break. When you say Corporate, do you mean your original dealer, Jayco, or CW? I can understand why CW doesn't want to just hand over any profit on this transaction to your original dealer, but that isn't really your problem and they need to focus on that. I'd tell 'corporate' to stick a hot dog roasting skewer where the sun doesn't shine I'd also start talking about getting your deposit back at this point with a 'drop dead date' for that happening. It tells them you are serious more than most anything else you could say. Then go to CW free and clear. A quck phone call to them will confirm if that stock number is still available.

I bought mine at CW, it also said sale pending before I had even looked at it Anyway, I'm going to drop out of this thread now, I hope all goes well for you in resolving this. I don't think I have anything else to add.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #60

I think if you were to have a calm conversation with your dealer they would refund your deposit on the trailer or compensate you for the lost deposit on the trip. Not the Salesman but the GM or owner.

However I wouldn't just throw that out on the table. I'd stop by and ask for a meeting with him at a convenient time for him. I'd then explain the situation without animation or anger and guide him towards a decision while letting him think it was his idea. But then I have also been in sales all of my life as well and find it relatively easy to plant seeds, water them and make them grow to get what I want and make other people feel good about their decision to help me.

I spoke to my friend who is a Jayco dealer about your situation and his opinion was that your deposit would easily be refunded and the order cancelled in hopes of creating a positive purchase experience at his dealership.

He did iterate that as much as he'd like to know everything about Jayco's production schedules he too does have customer order than are delayed by double the normal estimate and that information isn't always readilly available and can also change in a moments notice should a supply of parts arrive at the Jayco factory. He talked about a situation years ago where there were no ovens to be had and that manufactureres were either builiding them without or were at the mercy of their suppliers.

Anyway, I'm sure with a calm head you can come to some decision with the dealer to assist either financially or getting the trailer delivered to you by a contract hauler.

In the end if you can't and the decision is down to losing a 1100$ deposit... i guess that is what it is... I'd rather eat the 1100$ than tradeoff on a build floorplan that I really wanted making a compromise I'd have to live with for 5-10 years. Sometimes crap happens.